Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Apr 3, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #271 of 298
@FullgazEd:

You asked about how the Cary SLI-80 amp handles low impedance speakers:

I have owned both a standard stock Cary SLI-80, and I liked it so much I purchased a used SLI-80 that already had most of the popular upgrades. I have used both amps to drive my Infinity IRS Delta speakers (made in the early 1990s). They are nominal 4 ohm load, but drop to 1 ohm at higher frequencies. The Infinity’s are about 91db efficient, and my listening room is somewhat large. I sit about 3 meters away from them. Both the standard SLI-80, and the upgraded model, drove them just fine, even at louder volume levels. In fact, I could not believe how well the stock unit performed on them even in Triode mode at only 40 watts. I hope that helps.

Also, FWIW, I did not hear a big difference between the standard model and the upgraded one. While the upgrade model does sound better (deeper tighter bass, more “liquid” and smoother mids, and more open and airy in the highs), the difference is not big. If I had to pay full retail price to upgrade an existing standard Cary SLI-80 to a full upgraded model, in my opinion the extra cost would not be worth it. But, of course, others may have had a different experience. In my opinion, don’t wait for a used upgraded model to go up for sale. Get a used stock model ASAP, and spend the extra money on good NOS tubes. That’s part of what makes the SLI-80 so much fun, is rolling in different tubes. A pair of NOS Mullard or Amperex 6922 tubes will help smooth things out with your ribbon tweeter.

Anyway, good luck and happy listening!

Mike

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #272 of 298
@FullgazEd:

You asked about how the Cary SLI-80 amp handles low impedance speakers:

I have owned both a standard stock Cary SLI-80, and I liked it so much I purchased a used SLI-80 that already had most of the popular upgrades. I have used both amps to drive my Infinity IRS Delta speakers (made in the early 1990s). They are nominal 4 ohm load, but drop to 1 ohm at higher frequencies. The Infinity’s are about 91db efficient, and my listening room is somewhat large. I sit about 3 meters away from them. Both the standard SLI-80, and the upgraded model, drove them just fine, even at louder volume levels. In fact, I could not believe how well the stock unit performed on them even in Triode mode at only 40 watts. I hope that helps.

Also, FWIW, I did not hear a big difference between the standard model and the upgraded one. While the upgrade model does sound better (deeper tighter bass, more “liquid” and smoother mids, and more open and airy in the highs), the difference is not big. If I had to pay full retail price to upgrade an existing standard Cary SLI-80 to a full upgraded model, in my opinion the extra cost would not be worth it. But, of course, others may have had a different experience. In my opinion, don’t wait for a used upgraded model to go up for sale. Get a used stock model ASAP, and spend the extra money on good NOS tubes. That’s part of what makes the SLI-80 so much fun, is rolling in different tubes. A pair of NOS Mullard or Amperex 6922 tubes will help smooth things out with your ribbon tweeter.

Anyway, good luck and happy listening!

Mike
Hello Mike,

Many thanks for the info! Good to hear direct experience with harder to drive speakers! Also appretiate your experience with the upgrade thing. I am getting more and more convinced I should go for the SLI, although I have never heard any...:)
The biggest challange is to find a used one here in Europe, but will keep on chasing.

I also love the thing that it drives headphones through the tubes. Years ago I was about to buy a better can, but after trying it with my equipment I recognised I should buy a dedicated headamp. I assume with the SLI this question would also be closed))

Andy

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #273 of 298
Sadly, my SLI-80 has moved on to a new home. The heat and storage for all my spare tubes being a non-starter as we downsize into our retirement condo. On the upside, the Bryston B100 that replaced it is a fine sounding piece that is happy to drive any headphone one cares to connect.

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #274 of 298
I may be right behind you. I love the unit, but we have downsized and it sits in a box. So I am about to list it. Someone will get a true jewel.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #276 of 298
Blast from the past... :)
Would be curious to see if anyone is using electrostatics with this amp. It will always have a fond place in my heart.

However, I too have moved on from the SLI-80. Though a great integrated amp, the heat, the tubes (so many toobs!) and a desire to downsize had me go to an OG Decware Taboo, then nothing for a long time, and now a Mytek Brooklyn.

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #277 of 298
Blast from the past... :)
Would be curious to see if anyone is using electrostatics with this amp. It will always have a fond place in my heart.

However, I too have moved on from the SLI-80. Though a great integrated amp, the heat, the tubes (so many toobs!) and a desire to downsize had me go to an OG Decware Taboo, then nothing for a long time, and now a Mytek Brooklyn.
It's a special amp. Great with HE-6!

So.. STAX...

.. Anyone,??

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #278 of 298
How would you use the SLI-80 with electrostats? No energizer connection.

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #280 of 298
Ok so whats the final verdict. Does the headphone jack use the whole amp or a separate circuit ?

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #282 of 298
The whole amp. Just a couple of resistors.

Debating between this and a CS600. Did read your review of the CS300x which made it seem brighter but i want a warmer sound. Guessing cs600 would bring more warmth.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #283 of 298
Debating between this and a CS600. Did read your review of the CS300x which made it seem brighter but i want a warmer sound. Guessing cs600 would bring more warmth.

The cs300x isn't bright at all - did I write that? 🙄. Quite warm sounding, very alive.

However I had a hum issue with the cs300x and high impedance headphones. Low impedance was fine, even high sensitivity.

The SLI-80 is stunning. Speaker taps works great for HE-6, HE1000, HE500, HE-560, LCD-3 etc. Very quiet amp.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #284 of 298
The cs300x isn't bright at all - did I write that? 🙄. Quite warm sounding, very alive.

However I had a hum issue with the cs300x and high impedance headphones. Low impedance was fine, even high sensitivity.

The SLI-80 is stunning. Speaker taps works great for HE-6, HE1000, HE500, HE-560, LCD-3 etc. Very quiet amp.

Damn really. Was this even out of the headphone out ?

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #285 of 298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back