Cary 306 Pro, Esoteric SA-50... are there any other SACD/DAC combos should I be looking at?
Aug 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

El_Doug

Headphoneus Supremus
Title says it all.

I am very interested in an SACD player that will also function as a DAC for other peripherals such as my DVD player and computer.

Why not separates? Because if I am paying top dollar for an SACD player with superb quality, I do not want to have to also pay once again for a top-notch DAC.

Of course, this is a very flexible question - if there are separates (SACD + DAC) that would work for me and cost about the same amount as any of the above mentioned players, I am all ears
o2smile.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 23
The Electrocompaniet EMP1/S around $8K is a very good sounding unit but may not have a digital in.

There are really no affordable SACD separates out there that I can think of as they are all flagship rigs.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 23
I suppose I should have been clearer about separates - i did not mean an SACD DAC, but rather a standalone SACD rig and CD DAC

of course, I am really in love with the idea of the all-in-one

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by btf1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The McIntosh MCD-500 is an option.

McIntosh | MCD500

x2. I have one and it actually replaced the Cary 306 Professional. The Mac is a very smooth and detailed player. It is also built like a tank and looks great.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by btf1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Marantz SA-15S2 is a more affordable option.

Marantz America | SA-15S2 Reference Series SA-CD / CD Player

Marantz really irks me: Why do the SE-only models have digital-in, while the balanced "higher-end" models do not?

With everyone else (Cary, Esoteric, McIntosh, Wadia....) the low end lack digital-in, while the upper register offer it.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dCS Puccini, Wadia 781i, Accuphase DP-78 and DP-700 are supreme options...

The DP-700 is fantastic, I have owned one (and a 78 for the matter).

Unfortunately I get the sense that this is way out of the OPs price range at $26K.

FWIW, The Puccini and 781i don't compare to the 700....BTDT.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 23
EMM Labs also offers some nice CD/SACD transports and DACs for them.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marantz really irks me: Why do the SE-only models have digital-in, while the balanced "higher-end" models do not?

With everyone else (Cary, Esoteric, McIntosh, Wadia....) the low end lack digital-in, while the upper register offer it.

Although not in the market I was looking at the Marantz SE, it sure looks nice. Wonder how it sounds a both a redbook cd-player and as a dac-only.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 23
I have a Linn Unidisc SC that functions as a SACD player and as a DAC. It can also act as a preamp for a home theater system. It does a nice job but I have never compared it to the above mentioned DAC's.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's because the SA-15S2 and the SA-KI Pearl are their latest players. The SA-11S2 and the SA-7S1 are a few years old. Whenever they get updated, I'm sure they will have digital-ins.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although not in the market I was looking at the Marantz SE, it sure looks nice. Wonder how it sounds a both a redbook cd-player and as a dac-only.

I have the SA-15S1, and I have had an Esoteric SZ-1 and SA-60. I prefer the Marantz player bar none. The Esoterics have a stark, analytical and cold sound. Some like this, I found it fatiguing after a while. I know it sounds cliche, but the Marantz makes analog sounding players.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I have one and it actually replaced the Cary 306 Professional. The Mac is a very smooth and detailed player. It is also built like a tank and looks great.

what about the MCD500 do you prefer over the 306?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back