Cary 300SEi still the king for dynamic cans?
Dec 3, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 21
I would think that the SDS-XLR is now the king..
blink.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that the SDS-XLR is now the king..
blink.gif

2X

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 21
The Cary 300sei can still hold its own against today's best offerings, imo - especially with the right 300b tubes installed. And the Cary is the only one of the three mentioned here that can also power the AKG K1000 properly.

I agree that at this level it's more different than better. Especially given all the other variables that go into a complete system.

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2X

x3

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 21
The top in no particular order
Dynamight Sig
Balenced Headroom Max
SDS-XLR Maxxed
First Watt F1 (K1000)
300SEI
Moth Xana
Larocco triad
Angstrom Research amp

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 21
Custom amps are the way to go.
340smile.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 21
I don't think a valid hierarchy can be established for the 300SEi and the SDS-XLR, considering that the all the recommendations for the SDS-XLR here are made by members who do not own, have not owned, and show no indication of having listened previously to the 300SEi.

And tkam, your avatar rocks.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 21
Have most 300SEi owners previously owned SDS-XLRs?

They were both at the National meet if I remember correctly... I didn't listen to the Cary all that much, but perhaps some of the other folks compared the two.

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartagnan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you include the SLI-80 in that category, or would you consider the 300SEi generally superior, not just different?

I have not heard the 300SEI, but what I've heard from others, is that the 300SEI is at another level compared to the SLI-80. I still love my SLI-80 now that it can SLAM (w/adapters)
icon10.gif

I would think though, that the 300SEI should be considered one of the best for dynamic cans in unbalanced mode.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 21
I understand that it is a different animal per se, however coma, the toaster style supra, that is of the two that I owned ,were not on the same level (all around) as the cary sei 300 I had. This was with both equiped w/nos 6sn7s and the sophia mesh plate tubes( which I felt were superior to the W.E. 300b). The Cary had more detail, better foundation, slam, PRaT and soundstage with a beautiful midrange, although, the one area that I will say the supra might have eged the Cary out are the mids. LOVELY mids. Perhaps the best Ive heard.

Now the newer models might have improved on the sound, but I would definately have to hear it to believe that it was better than the Cary. It could be just a matter of taste however, as some just love a presentation that is predominantly geared towards the mids.

The Cary is an awesome amp. I cannot wait to see how my new zana deux will compare to it, when it gets here....

Blue

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 21
King??? Who gave it that crown??? Was there really a time in which it was the king? I'm being here for a few years now, and I do not recall that title at all, maybe a good amp, maybe a very good amp, specially with the R-10 after some mods, but the king??? Sorry but I have heard better amps for dynamic amplification, and not only one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back