Cary 300SEi still the king for dynamic cans?
Dec 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSundays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that it is a different animal per se, however coma, the toaster style supra, that is of the two that I owned ,were not on the same level (all around) as the cary sei 300 I had. This was with both equiped w/nos 6sn7s and the sophia mesh plate tubes( which I felt were superior to the W.E. 300b). The Cary had more detail, better foundation, slam, PRaT and soundstage with a beautiful midrange, although, the one area that I will say the supra might have eged the Cary out are the mids. LOVELY mids. Perhaps the best Ive heard.

Now the newer models might have improved on the sound, but I would definately have to hear it to believe that it was better than the Cary. It could be just a matter of taste however, as some just love a presentation that is predominantly geared towards the mids.

The Cary is an awesome amp. I cannot wait to see how my new zana deux will compare to it, when it gets here....

Blue

I have tried a lot fo 300B on my Cary... I have WE, Sophia mesh, Full Music, JJ and others, but the best of the best are (without any doubt) the AVVT C-37 Super Linear.

The best 6sn7GT with these 300B are the Tung Sol round plate - round mica.
...just my two cents.

(With K1000/Equinox)

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried a lot fo 300B on my Cary... I have WE, Sophia mesh, Full Music, JJ and others, but the best of the best are (without any doubt) the AVVT C-37 Super Linear.

The best 6sn7GT with these 300B are the Tung Sol round plate - round mica.
...just my two cents.

(With K1000/Equinox)

What year is your WE, Nik?

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #18 of 21
New production WE.

I konw the the old one are more warm and lush sound... but I do not need this kind of performances...

The AVVT have a better soundstage and details, even a better tight bass.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by a529612 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it still the best tube amp for driving dynamic cans or time has moved on?

I remember seeing it on the for sale forum for 4 weeks with around 4 bumps per day

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #20 of 21
Do you think that in the FS forum there are only crap components? I remember seenig many things in the FS forum... R10, Stax Omega, Orpheus...

I don't think that this a meter for evaluating qualities of our gear.

Did you have listened the Cary?

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember seeing it on the for sale forum for 4 weeks with around 4 bumps per day

If you could think about it, this really doesn't mean anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back