Cars we love.
Jun 3, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #46 of 133
The Veyron will go thru a tank of gas in 12 minutes if floored from beginning to end. 1001 hp and 250+ mph. 4 turbos on a W 16 cylinder engine.
tongue.gif
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti.htm

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #47 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Aston is close, but I'd still have the DB9 over a Vanquish.

I agree, the styling of the new DB9 is better than that of the Vanquish... the Vanquish foglights don't integrate as well, and the DB9 is lighter.

The first 911 turbos used to be dangerous because of their turbo lag... a driver would go into a corner and have the boost kick in... made for a lot of wrecked 911s at first.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #49 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't some of those older air cooled 911s supposed to be hard to handle on the track?? a rumor I heard is that the rear end can get a little squeemish on tighter tracks.

Never driven one though... its just a rumor I heard.

Curious...

Yes, they are very hard to drive quickly. Hard to stick into a corner, that is. Once there everything will be fine because the rear planted engine gives you a lot of grip on the rear tires. However, like Jemery Clarkson said about them "Like a date with a serial killer, a nice chap and a good conversation, but somewhere along he will reach over and stab you in the forehead".

Train braking into corners isn't a good idea, in fact, don't brake at all anywhere near corners in an older 911, only do so on the straights. We found that out the hard way on the Nurburgring....
frown.gif

With a Turbo, you need extra caution. The older single turbo's have an insane turbo lag, after which all the power comes at once. Go into a corner at below 4000rpm and hitting 4000rpm in the corner is certain death.

Besides all that, they have an incredible charm and drive like nothing else. If you put in the effort to drive it well, you'll be very rewarded. Because of that, I want one!
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #51 of 133
You know, I was always a big fan of the...

512tr.jpg

supra_shop7.jpg

2002-Acura-NSX-T-yellow-A.jpeg

and of course, the caboose:

TropicOrangeGTI-3.jpg

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #52 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elise's aren't actually too expensive, your dream car can come true. ($30,000 roughly) The only thing is that they are tiny, have you seen one in the flesh? It only comes up to my chest and I am 5'7. talk about a death trap.

Yeah my co-worker has one. We go out to lunch every now and then. He offered to let me drive it, but I declined.... I'd kill myself If something were to happen to it under my watch. you know... Murphy's law. Yeah they are basically a tub-chassis go-kart. HP-to weight specs are pretty good. I think dealer mark-up is pretty rediculous though, at least thats what my co-worker said.

its not the $$$ preventing me from getting one... Its the kids

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #53 of 133
As much as I love my Subaru Legacy 2.5i, if going all out, the list would have to be:

Ariel Atom: Just a ludicrous car that also happens to be street legal!
1997 Porsche Carrera S: Classic air-cooled rear-wheel drive Porsche, with the beautiful Turbo widebody.
Honda/Acura NSX: Japanese reliability, a chassis tuned by Ayrton Senna, and a great looking car. What more could I ask for?
McLaren F1 GT: Even rarer than the LM and apparently even more luxurious.
Ferrari F430: Just about the most well balanced sports car ever produced in my opinion.
Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano: My favorite GT car, and one of the best looking Ferrari's ever in my opinion.
Ferrari Enzo Ferrari: The pinnacle of Ferrari magic. To see one in person is truly special and well, one can only imagine what it's like to drive...
Aston Martin V8 Vantage: The baby of the bunch, but the tightest, hardest, and definitely loudest. What a great sound it makes!
Ferrari F2007: Hey, a guy can dream can't he?? (For those that don't keep up with F1, this is Ferrari's current F1 car)

Aditya

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #54 of 133
very nice list Rocketpilot!
my friend recently acquired a nice red 360 modena and has promised to let me take it out for a spin. first i want to ride shot gun to see what it's like.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #55 of 133
Well as long as everyone else is posting cars that are only for Team Super-Duper-Rich-Fi, the ItalDesign Scighera from 1997:

1997ItaldesignScighera-full.jpg

Too bad this never made it into production.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #56 of 133
I won't post photos as I'm sure most people know what these cars look like. If not, Google.

I'd have to say my favourite car would be the DMC DeLorean.
I'd love to own any of these though:

DMC DeLorean
1971 Chevy El Camino
1968 Shelby Mustang Fastback
1966~ Cadillac Sedan
Lotus Elise

Yeah. I'm into older stuff. But the Elise is something that catches my eye.

Joseph

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #57 of 133
Hmm so many...

That'll do for starters, if anybody wants to fill out my garage for me...
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #58 of 133
^

Geoff Rymer, I had a XW GT back in the late '80s. It had 64,000 original miles when I bought it for $7,000. I had to sell it a couple of years later because I lost my job etc etc. I got just under $10,000 from memory. Only a few short years later they were selling for about $30,000
frown.gif

It was a very nice car. Fast as all get out. Handled like a boat, but who cared.

And the ZH Fairlane demonstrating the "ford on rails" handling.

Ahhh, great bloody cars. Big engines and real steel. I'm not sure what that shiny red middle car is though.

LOL

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #60 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RX-7 is truly a pain to maintain.
Why not save all that headache and go with the RX-8?

Or better yet with a traditional reciprocating engine?
Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for alternative technology too, but wankel engines always seemed to me more trouble than they're worth.

By the way, there is an official Mazda V8 kit for the RX7... although I think a better fit for the RX7 would be the 2 litre turbo engine of the Lancer EvoIX...

As for me: since getting my motorbike and discovering I like riding bikes much more than I like driving cars, my enthusiasm for four-wheel vehicles has faded considerably.
Regardless, here are the cars I used to think of as my dreams:

7556.jpg

^^^ this one for the sheer speed

850Ci_stor.jpg

^^^ this one for the style

Users who are viewing this thread

Back