Cardas Replacement Cable --->improve sound quality?
Nov 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

c3p0

100+ Head-Fier
Will this cable improve the sound of my sennheiser hd650?

I have laptop as a source (lossless music mostly), connected to a chord qbd76 dac and a graham slee solo amp with graham slee power supply.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 9
I didn't hear any difference with the Cardas on my HD-650. Couldn't measure any difference, either, with a DMM or oscilloscope. It measured almost exactly the same as the stock cable. There was no noticeable sonic difference, and I ran it off a Zana Deux and a Moth Si2A3, and with about a $12k (retail) vinyl rig.

The Cardas is a nice looking, attractive and well-made cable. If you need a more rugged cable, it might work for you. But don't buy it for the ound.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't hear any difference with the Cardas on my HD-650. Couldn't measure any difference, either, with a DMM or oscilloscope. It measured almost exactly the same as the stock cable. There was no noticeable sonic difference, and I ran it off a Zana Deux and a Moth Si2A3, and with about a $12k (retail) vinyl rig.

The Cardas is a nice looking, attractive and well-made cable. If you need a more rugged cable, it might work for you. But don't buy it for the ound.

Thanks for the taking the time to reply buddy. I have read some reports the difference is night and day. Was considering getting the cable if it made an improvement or a more desirable sound. It does look good imo, but not £160 good lol.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know the Cardas cable, but it seems more suited for the HD 580/600 than the HD 650, according to people's reports.

I have experience with Zu Mobius, Silver Dragon, Equinox, Headphile BlackSilver and Oehlbach, which all offer a nice sonic improvement to my ears, although not exactly night and day. My favorite cable with the HD 650 was and is the Zu Mobius, followed by the Silver Dragon. The main difference to the stock cable is in increased transparency and clarity, more treble sparkle and increased refinement and smoothness.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know the Cardas cable, but it seems more suited for the HD 580/600 than the HD 650, according to people's reports.

I have experience with Zu Mobius, Silver Dragon, Equinox, Headphile BlackSilver and Oehlbach, which all offer a nice sonic improvement to my ears, although not exactly night and day. My favorite cable with the HD 650 was and is the Zu Mobius, followed by the Silver Dragon. The main difference to the stock cable is in increased transparency and clarity, more treble sparkle and increased refinement and smoothness.

Thanks for the input. I will have to check those out.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 9
recabling doesnt help an already decent cable much, but does wonders for a not-good-enough cable
once a cable has enough metal to carry information without loss and is properly insulated improvements become very subjective

i have a cable made by zombiex for my senn hd565 (same cable as a 580/600/650) and am able to plug one side with the new and one side with stock and run them both at the same time- amp with 2 outputs. is there a difference? yes- but its slight

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agree with Uncle Erik, I owned one for my HD650 previously and it sounds like the stock cable. Then a Apuresound V3 and RAL, WOW, much better sonically, indeed.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
copper is copper =/

Copper may be copper, but the oxygen content is not the same from cable to cable. The problem with oxygen is that it loves to mop up electrons and thus can inhibit the signal. The other things to consider is the gauge of cable. Increasing the gauge (thickness) decreases the impedance and thus better sound.

Now you can wind the copper cables to reduce EMI (electrical magnetic interference) that can also get in the way of the sound...then you have shielding of the copper (same as above).

So as you can see copper is not always copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back