Cardas recabled HD25-1 - worth it?
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear head-fiers,

Could any of you who have experience with HD25-1s recabled with Cardas cables write some impressions and tell me whether you think the recable is a worthy upgrade over stock HD25? I am planning on using them mostly portably, but also at home sometimes. I already have ATH-M50 and M-Audio Q40 both of which I like. I especially like the M50s and prefer them over stock HD25, which I used to have, for many types of music. However, I am looking for an even better sounding over-the-ear reasonably portable closed can. I heard that recabled HD25 sounds even better than HD600 in some cases. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 21
In a word, no. I am not a believer in recabling, except for aesthetic reasons, but even if I was, I would say put the $100-200+ towards a high end phone rather than cabling. And, no matter what you believe concerning the effects of cables, a cable CANNOT turn the hd-25-1 into an HD600. That makes no sense.

Considering your desires, have you taken a look at the ATH-ESW9 or 10?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a word, no. I am not a believer in recabling, except for aesthetic reasons, but even if I was, I would say put the $100-200+ towards a high end phone rather than cabling. And, no matter what you believe concerning the effects of cables, a cable CANNOT turn the hd-25-1 into an HD600. That makes no sense.

Considering your desires, have you taken a look at the ATH-ESW9 or 10?

lol Well, I don't even want to look at ESW10 :drool: I don't have that much money to spend right now, although I know they are fantastic cans based on all the reviews of them that I read. Now, I am considering ATH-ESW9 actually, but I am worried that they won't be any better than ATH-M50.

Here are some qualities that I looking for:

1. Balance - I absolutely don't mind (actually enjoy) a bit of emphasis on bass, somewhat forward mids or slightly bright/rolled off treble, but only as long as it doesn't overshadow and distract from the rest of the spectrum and doesn't make music sound unnatural.

2. Details. I want good detail, preferably better micro-detail than ATH-M50 can offer. I want good transparency and especially texture (micro-details).

3. Extension. I want to be able to hear deep bass and upper treble. Doesn't have to be crazy good extension, but I want bass down to at least 35-40Hz, before any roll off and I want highs to extend all the way to the limits of my hearing (about 17.5 kHz) without too much roll off/recession.

4. Isolation. Not as important for me, but I want a 'phone that isolates well enough allow me to hear at least some details in the mids/highs and preferably some lower notes as well, even when I am on the subway/busy street. Isolation doesn't have to be as good as on HD25, but should be as good as or close to ATH-M50.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 21
Re-cabling, for me, generally results in relatively subtle differences only. I have gone thru a few variations based on HD25 and would recommend that these days peeps buy HD25-13, which have been on clearance in England ,and Australia. What you are looking to find is 600ohm version of HD25, along with orig. copper cabling. I've had Hd25-1, HD25 Concorde, and now have HD25-13 purhased from Australia, and HME25 without mic.. You virtually never recover a significant portion of the re-cable cost when you sell them. There is always intrinsic value to an orig. model #.
The same is true for other headphones. It is always a struggle.
IF you consider simply going from the orig. S.Steel Senn. cable to a stock Senn. copper cable (eg. HD600-650 or other) then you are fine and it is a GOOD move.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 21
Get a HD-650 replacement cable from Sennheiser first, as it will cost you only $15 or so plus shipping.

That is, if you manage to get through to Sennheiser Canada and get lucky enough that they don't "forget" your order. I had to call about 5 times over the course of 2 weeks until they finally answered the phone, took my order and then... it never arrived (nor was I charged).

But if you do get lucky you'll be able to hear for yourself whether cable makes a difference for you at very low cost. Then you can figure out if shelling out huge $$$ for Cardas may be worth it.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 21
hd 25 concordes...

apparently they threw these out after every flight. if i'd known that i'd be outside heathrow airport rummaging in the bins after i see one land.

bygone days...

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 21
No, they did not throw out Senn. Concorde headphones. They were free to passengers, and after flights were discontinued, they were sold to people who re-sold them on ebay in large numbers. Other Concorde "memorabilia" were re-sold at the same time..........you didn't miss anything by forgoing your normal dumpster-diving.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 21
Anyone else? Are there any other good closed portable cans that I should consider maybe? Has anyone heard closed MB Quart cans? What about Beyer DT48 - are those any good for portable use and where I can get them if they are? Thanks.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Beyer DT-48 aren't really portable cans, more reference cans.
I use the DT770/80 for my portable outings, and i'm very happy with them.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer DT-48 aren't really portable cans, more reference cans.
I use the DT770/80 for my portable outings, and i'm very happy with them.

Hmm... the size of Beyers is not really a problem for me either, but I heard quite a few people here on head-fi claim they sound quite unbalanced with booming bass and overemphasized treble, and hollow mids, so I don't think I'll want them.

Now, Tony, do you know more about DT48? Are they comfortable? Where can I buy them? I don't really care if they are studio or not - as long as they are not too power hungry, it's OK. I got a MiniBox E+ to hook them up to for kicks.

BTW, sorry guys if this thread is going off topic a bit. I guess I might just rename it. I am basically looking for a good closed over-the-ear reasonably portable closed can that will be an upgrade over my ATH-M50 and M-Audio Q40 in SQ.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD25-1 still seem to be the perfect can for you.
And don't worry about re-cabling, I've got the stock coiled one and there's been no problems.

Well, I liked HD25s quite a bit when I had them. Mine were the version with the steel cable. I thought they sounded great with pop, rock, electronic and some acoustic music as well. However, I had a real problem with how HD25 handled piano - it sounded very unnatural, which is too bad because one of my favorite musicians is Keiko Matsui. Also, the sound seemed quite congested when listening to Deep Forest for example (world music). I was hoping that a recable might fix these shortcomings of HD25 at least somewhat.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I liked HD25s quite a bit when I had them. Mine were the version with the steel cable. I thought they sounded great with pop, rock, electronic and some acoustic music as well. However, I had a real problem with how HD25 handled piano - it sounded very unnatural, which is too bad because one of my favorite musicians is Keiko Matsui. Also, the sound seemed quite congested when listening to Deep Forest for example (world music). I was hoping that a recable might fix these shortcomings of HD25 at least somewhat.

Sorry, I have no belief what so ever in that re-cabling can change the sound signature of a headphone. I'm a cable atheist btw, so you might not want to listen to me.
I do agree though on your description of the characteristics of these 'phones, not really impressive with acoustic instruments. For acoustical I prefer grado.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser has a single sided 10ft 1/4 terminated copper cable available for the HD-25, get copper and no need to sacrifice the single sided connection as you would with the hd6x0 cables.

arteom, have you ever tried HD650 cable? Would they be comparable? I wouldn’t mind getting this cable and making mine single sided again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I have no belief what so ever in that re-cabling can change the sound signature of a headphone. I'm a cable atheist btw, so you might not want to listen to me.
I do agree though on your description of the characteristics of these 'phones, not really impressive with acoustic instruments. For acoustical I prefer grado.

Being a cable atheist could be dangerous because what if you’re wrong? You could be missing out on great sound for all eternity. Are you ready to pay that price?

Have you ever tried HD650 cable on HD-25? I have, and now I’m a cable believer. All I had to do was open my heart and my wallet a little, close my eyes and listen, then all of a sudden sound was better. *insert angels singing here*

Expensive cables are a different gospel; I wouldn’t know anything about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back