Cardas Myrtle Wood Blocks
Dec 5, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #151 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a logical fallacy to beleive that you must use a product to come to a reasonable conclusion on it.

Quite stupid reasoning to be blunt.

logic? I was merely asking to ascertain his experience with a certain product.

do you have any experience with wood footers?

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #152 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are wrong, I have only one opinion regarding the blooks, not a lot of opinions as you said, the blocks are a rip off period...
wink.gif

so, your only input to this discussion are that the wooden blocks are overpriced?

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #153 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
logic? I was merely asking to ascertain his experience with a certain product.

do you have any experience with wood footers?

Do you understand what I said?

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #154 of 195
First off, all you need to do is think a little about this one. Hard wood doesnt absorb vibration, and block-shapes don't dissipate vibration into the things they're on (like spikes might).

In any case, I'm highly disinclined to trust anyone's impressions after simple AB tests with something like this. Any improvement would be, at best, *incredibly* subtle, and the perfect opportunity for some blind tests.

As I said before, I bet if Nordost started selling identical blocks for four times the price and with their brand name on them instead of Cardas, that people would compare the two and say the Nordost blocks win hands down.

Even *if* they improve sound, it's still a scam.

So anyway, back to suggesting hilarious wood block isolation techniques. How about stacking them two or three layers high and then putting your components on top? It can only get better, right? Also, since they're not spike shaped (ie. they're not concerned with dissipating vibrations), why not just use a sheet of myrtle wood under your components? Imagine the number of Cardas logos they could fit on one of those babies.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #155 of 195
Quote:

so, your only input to this discussion are that the wooden blocks are overpriced?

BTW Have you ever tried them?
confused.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #156 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW Have you ever tried them?
confused.gif

no. but why should that matter? it doesn't seem to make any difference for you to opine at length as to the inefficacy of a couple of wooden blocks.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #158 of 195
Quote:

no. but why should that matter? it doesn't seem to make any difference for you to opine at length as to the inefficacy of a couple of wooden blocks.

Hey, ho, a trolling you go.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #159 of 195
Quote:

So is funny how you are assuming that others are wrong, even while you have not tried them, and even when it could be possible that after you try them by yourself, you could believe the same we do.

Now just to end this absurd dicussion, do you consider fair to pay $45.00 for four blocks of wood, is that a right price for you?

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #161 of 195
I have used the Ayre blocks. (same thing as the Cardas) I was getting alot of woofer flutter through my turntable to my speakers.(subsonics freq. which cause your woofers to go crazy jumping around during vinyl playback) I placed one each on there backs under the cones that came with my turntable. and two under the table motor. Woofer flutter gone! So they do isolate good, better than the cones I got with my table. I have since gone to a 2 1/2" solid walnut slab under my table, and the blocks (thre each) under everything else on my rack.
Its funny to hear all the people on this thread that dont have even a bit of a clue as to wether this product can do anything or not, talk so much BS.
Are they a ripoff? Well they were able to relieve the stress of $25K amplifiers from having to work more than they should. (it takes power for for the woofers to be moved around and try to produce that subsonic bass) For a total cost of 18 bucks! I would rank them more in the great deal than ripoff group.
BTW: woofer flutter is real! You can see and touch it! its there, or its not. Without the Blocks it was.....with them it was not.
Wether the rest of my gear is better for using them I cant say for sure. But I do know they are at the very least knocking out some of the frequencies that were coming through my table. For a total of 9 bucks per componant.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #162 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the Ayre blocks. (same thing as the Cardas) I was getting alot of woofer flutter through my turntable to my speakers.(subsonics freq. which cause your woofers to go crazy jumping around during vinyl playback) I placed one each on there backs under the cones that came with my turntable. and two under the table motor. Woofer flutter gone! So they do isolate good, better than the cones I got with my table. I have since gone to a 2 1/2" solid walnut slab under my table, and the blocks (thre each) under everything else on my rack.
Its funny to hear all the people on this thread that dont have even a bit of a clue as to wether this product can do anything or not, talk so much BS.
Are they a ripoff? Well they were able to relieve the stress of $25K amplifiers from having to work more than they should. (it takes power for for the woofers to be moved around and try to produce that subsonic bass) For a total cost of 18 bucks! I would rank them more in the great deal than ripoff group.
BTW: woofer flutter is real! You can see and touch it! its there, or its not. Without the Blocks it was.....with them it was not.
Wether the rest of my gear is better for using them I cant say for sure. But I do know they are at the very least knocking out some of the frequencies that were coming through my table. For a total of 9 bucks per componant.

What you are experiencing is rumble. This is a well known issue. Most of the time it originated from the vinyl itself because of slightly off center center hole or warp of the album. Sometime you can also hear a pitch change because of this. Most phono preamp has a subsonic filter built in.

I am not sure how the wood block solves this problem. Probably the feedback from the speaker exaggerated the problem. But you should experiement with isolating your speakers as well. I have spikes on all my speakers. But most importantly you'll need to add a subsonic filter. Wood block is not going to eliminate the problem totally. BTW a record clamp will also help.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #163 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you are experiencing is rumble. This is a well known issue. Most of the time it originated from the vinyl itself because of slightly off center center hole or warp of the album. Sometime you can also hear a pitch change because of this. Most phono preamp has a subsonic filter built in.

I am not sure how the wood block solves this problem. Probably the feedback from the speaker exaggerated the problem. But you should experiement with isolating your speakers as well. I have spikes on all my speakers. But most importantly you'll need to add a subsonic filter. Wood block is not going to eliminate the problem totally. BTW a record clamp will also help.

I have had vinyl in my system most of the time over 37 years. This isnt my first issue with this problem. I HATE to use the filter in my phonostage.(or any phonstage) It will effect the sound. (this comes from experience, the builder of the phono, and where I bought the phonostage) Some of the subsonic sound is picked up through the vinyl itself. however when i talked to either VPI, Sim Audio, and Music Driect (about having to use the filter) they all suggested using some sort of isolation first and see if it would help. (no one mentioned anything as cheap as the blocks though...
wink.gif
Hmmmmm) I did, it worked.
I also use the VPI center weight and ring clamp that came with the VPI SuperScoutmaster table I have. I have also added the Super Platter. I know warped albums are the worst.
I also have my Thiel CS7.2 speakers spiked to concrete floors.
My point on the blocks is they will help in isolation. I have seen this with my own eyes.
What I cant believe about this thread (in general) is that almost every one of the doubters has never even seen the product(let alone used one) and are all saying its a ripoff. They worked for me, and I dont see why they cant work for others. In my system they were a super cheap fix.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #164 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I cant believe about this thread (in general) is that almost every one of the doubters has never even seen the product(let alone used one) and are all saying its a ripoff. They worked for me, and I dont see why they cant work for others. In my system they were a super cheap fix.

to actually withhold comment until you have actually tried the product in question. that sounds too reasonable. we can't have that.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #165 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to actually withhold comment until you have actually tried the product in question. that sounds too reasonable. we can't have that.
rolleyes.gif

LOL

I have tried to keep the value of other peoples opinions about anything audio in two groups.

VALID OPINIONS:
1. Have owned the product
2. Have done home audition with the product
3. Have heard the product in a system they are familiar with

INVALID OPINIONS
1. Any numbskull that doesn't fit in the top three groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back