Cardas Myrtle Wood Blocks
Sep 24, 2007 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 195

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
i just ordered some cardas myrtle wood blocks to use as resonance/vibration control for my G08. i wanted to try something for it and had read pretty decent reviews about these blocks. they were only around $45, so i did not think the risk was too great. if they do something positive to the sound, great. if not, no big deal.

does anyone have any experience with them.

thanks

acarmyrtlelarge.jpg

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 195
those are the ones. they come in 2 sizes, large and small. i got the larger ones. why not. only a little more. they give you six blocks, which you can use for two components in pyramid formation. i am only going to use it with my G08, at least initially, so i will use four in a square and set the other two aside.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those are the ones. they come in 2 sizes, large and small. i got the larger ones. why not. only a little more. they give you six blocks, which you can use for two components in pyramid formation. i am only going to use it with my G08, at least initially, so i will use four in a square and set the other two aside.

I was thinking about using 3 & 3, like you said. But am not sure between the Isopod/cone combo or these? I like the look of solid wood, but I've heard the Iso's do a good job at what they're supposed to do.

Please do report back and share your thoughts with us on these.

Happy listening,

-Nick
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 195
I had 2 sets of cardas block. They didn't work well in my situation; that's not to say they didn't have a perceivable sound. On the contrary, their effects were very obvious.

My rack (Ikea tables) are not very good at dissipating the vibration and putting a wood block on wood table introduces vibration into my components instead of moving the vibration away from them.

I would suggest you use cardas block with a somewhat good rack that can dissipate the vibration into the ground.

<the very fact that some wood block can alter the sound amazes me>

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had 2 sets of cardas block. They didn't work well in my situation; that's not to say they didn't have a perceivable sound. On the contrary, their effects were very obvious.

My rack (Ikea tables) are not very good at dissipating the vibration and putting a wood block on wood table introduces vibration into my components instead of moving the vibration away from them.

I would suggest you use cardas block with a somewhat good rack that can dissipate the vibration into the ground.

<the very fact that some wood block can alter the sound amazes me>

Since I still live at home, and will be using a solid wood set of drawers in my room, are you saying the wood on wood won't work? Would I be better off with some type of rubber (ie. Vibrapod/cone) instead of wood?

Like this?

vibrapobcone.jpg

Err, sorry for the short thread jack vcoheda..
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the cardas logo a picture of anyway and what is the rationale behind it, if anyone knows.

CardasLogo.jpg

I believe it is similar to nautilus shell. B&W used the design in a high end speaker. What it means I have no idea.
cool.gif

http://www.sacredarch.com/sacred_geo_exer_shell.htm

Seems like something to do with "secret ratio".

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I still live at home, and will be using a solid wood set of drawers in my room, are you saying the wood on wood won't work? Would I be better off with some type of rubber (ie. Vibrapod/cone) instead of wood?

Like this?

vibrapobcone.jpg

Err, sorry for the short thread jack vcoheda..
frown.gif

lol..that's exactly what I use. I am not saying wood on wood is bad. What I am saying is my wood table is not coupled to the floor (its actually sits on top of the carpet), so the table tend to 'retain' the vibration.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol..that's exactly what I use. I am not saying wood on wood is bad. What I am saying is my wood table is not coupled to the floor (its actually sits on top of the carpet), so the table tend to 'retain' the vibration.

PM sent, so vcoheda can have his thread back..
icon10.gif

-Nick

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it is similar to nautilus shell. B&W used the design in a high end speaker. What it means I have no idea.
cool.gif

http://www.sacredarch.com/sacred_geo_exer_shell.htm

Seems like something to do with "secret ratio".

from that link:

Quote:

The Nautilus Shell Spiral

The shell of the chambered nautilus is a symbol of beauty and proportional perfection.

that's cool. i think that is right. even if the blocks don't work or work to my liking, i'll have some nice decorations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 195
Isn't the inner ear similar in shape to a nautilus?

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 195
got the cardas blocks today. the 6 wooden blocks come in a nice velvet-type pouch. they come in two sizes, small and large. i got the large blocks. but even they are kind of small. each block measures 1" x 1.618" x 2.618". very nice looking wood with some type of lacquer finish and of course each block has that cool-looking cardas logo on it - whatever it may be.
tongue.gif

my current setup sits on a very large - think oversized
eek.gif
- wooden end table. the G08 rests on the table with nothing underneath. on top of the G08 is a thin yet sturdy piece of oak wood, then the apache power supply and then the apache amp. the apache power supply and amp each have four still points for vibration/resonance control. i read that the most typical configuration was to use 3 blocks in the shape of a pyramid with 2 in the back and 1 in the front. this is also convenient as 6 blocks allows for use with two components. my only intention was to use them under my G08 player, so i planned to use 4 - one at each corner.

the G08 is heavy and the stuff on top of it is not terribly light. it took me a while to set everything up - to get the 4 blocks under the four corners of the player. also, i realized as i was trying to situate the blocks that the bottom of the G08 is not entirely flat. at each corner, there are smallish rubber pads - so the blocks did not sit entirely flush at the corners. but they seemed good enough. before i set up the blocks i listened to a a few tracks of a CD i am familiar with. i listened again with the blocks. could not detect any difference.
frown.gif
went back and forth a while - blocks, no blocks; 3 blocks, 4 blocks; blocks at corners or closer to middle. after about 1.5 hours, i concluded that if there were any differences, i could not detect them.
confused.gif

next tried 3 or 4 blocks under the amp portion. no change.
mad.gif
final test. 4 blocks under the power supply instead of the still points. 1st track. omg!
basshead.gif
what happened. very noticeable increase in sound stage and imaging - not subtle. removed the blocks. everything got a bit smaller. put the blocks back. larger. why they did nothing under the CD player or amp, i don't know, but under the power supply. yes. they work.
cool.gif
i guess you just have to play around with them for a while.

edit: 3 or 4 blocks under the power supply seem to have the same effect, so i'm going with 3 under the power supply and 3 under the amp portion - 2 in the back and 1 front center. definitely worth the $40+ or so i spent.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back