Cardas Clarifier iPhone App
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 64
Anyone can plug a cable into the phone and record from the other end with a good soundcard to effectively pirate this app...
Not that I would go the trouble to even try it though.

I would think that if you had DC flowing in a transformer or "maybe" a headphone, that you can de-magnetize the setup with a high amplitude low frequency signal then slowly turning the signal down, but then I would worry about DC being fed to the headphones first.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:
Anyone can plug a cable into the phone and record from the other end with a good soundcard to effectively pirate this app...
Not that I would go the trouble to even try it though.

I would think that if you had DC flowing in a transformer or "maybe" a headphone, that you can de-magnetize the setup with a high amplitude low frequency signal then slowly turning the signal down, but then I would worry about DC being fed to the headphones first.

That's not pirating the app, that's called cloning it.  Pirating is a different thing...  I do know how to, but won't myself (being a developer, this is against my morals).

I honestly don't see how this app would work, nor do I want to purchase it right now (there are reviews saying it works :p) :p

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 64
I agree.  I wouldn't consider it to be pirating if you paid your 99¢.  If you own the app, you therefore own the tones within that it produces.  You should be able to record them and use them on any part of your audio system.

Downloading the tones for free off the internet, now that would be pirating, so long as Cardas invented them.  If Cardas only made the app and used tones from another source, then you would be in your rights to download them if the source granted you permission.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 64
Quote:
I agree.  I wouldn't consider it to be pirating if you paid your 99¢.  If you own the app, you therefore own the tones within that it produces.  You should be able to record them and use them on any part of your audio system.

Downloading the tones for free off the internet, now that would be pirating, so long as Cardas invented them.  If Cardas only made the app and used tones from another source, then you would be in your rights to download them if the source granted you permission.

No, piracy requires something else...  It deals with the idea of messing with a binary...  That's all I'm saying.  When you buy an app, you don't buy the actual app.  You buy the rights to use the app, not the app itself.  So you don't own the tones...  You can create your own little clone app that uses your own tones though (granted you can figure out what the tone is). 

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

No, piracy requires something else...  It deals with the idea of messing with a binary...  That's all I'm saying.  When you buy an app, you don't buy the actual app.  You buy the rights to use the app, not the app itself.  So you don't own the tones...  You can create your own little clone app that uses your own tones though (granted you can figure out what the tone is). 

Well that's what I mean, of course.  You own the app for your own, personal use.  You can do with it what you please and use it however you want, FOR YOURSELF.  Obviously you don't own the rights to the app and collect royalties when some other consumer uses it.  Even if you messed with the code, I can't see how that would matter at all since you paid for the code.  As long as you aren't redistributing the code, it can't be piracy.  And in this particular instance, since the app plays a tone through headphones, speakers, or whatever you have plugged into your iPhone, you can obviously record that tone and load it onto your computer.  Now there may be rules about hacking into the code to get those tones and it might be a violation of something, but not piracy.  It would seem far easier to just record the output, especially if you were using an LOD and outputting a digital signal through a dock, providing the app works that way.  Seeing as how it's for audiophiles, I can't imagine they would make it so you couldn't use it that way.  A lot of people have digital docks or portable amps with DACs.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #22 of 64
so if we use the app to "clean headphone coils", if we use another source or dap, it will sound "cleaner or better" as well? since from what i read it does something to your headphone, not inside the dap/source.

correct me if im wrong though

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #23 of 64
so if we use the app to "clean headphone coils", if we use another source or dap, it will sound "cleaner or better" as well? since from what i read it does something to your headphone, not inside the dap/source.

correct me if im wrong though

Hopefully Andy will clarify this? 
blink.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #25 of 64
Yeah, I guess it should.  They say it's degaussing the headphones/speakers, not the iPhone, so if you do it to a pair of headphones and then plug those headphones into another device/amp, they should sound "better".

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 64
Hi Guys Andy from Cardas here:

Let me start this reply by saying while we thank the moderator for looking out for us, we certainly do not mind and would rather hear what everyone thinks uncensored. Our decision to be a sponsor on Headfi was not to gain some political status but was because we like to support groups we believe in. George and I have been in this business for most of our lives and we find this group refreshing and reminiscent to the formative years in HiFi when the developments in High End performance  where at a feverish pace. We do not mind explaining ourselves and our thoughts. So keep the love letters coming, after all if we don't question each other we don't grow and learn.

Below is George Cardas's explanation of the Cardas Clarifier App:

"Seriously guys this is super simple. 

Degaussing is used on everything from tape heads to ships to reduce or eliminate residual magnetism.  Some ships have coils built into them for the purpose.

The gaussing of ferric materials is ubiquitous and has been know for thousands of years.  (think compass's) 

Here is some history: 

In the old days, analogue tape recorders LOST RESOLUTION as their recording  heads accumulated residual magnetism,   recording engineers used small portable coils or wands to degauss the tape heads.  The wands used a constant sine signal in the coil,  the coil was  placed on the tape head and slowly drawn away manually to attenuate the signal progressively.

Fluxbuster's  used a sine signal  in the coil of a phono cartridge that was slowly tapered off to degauss the cartridge pole piece.

Circa 1987  Cardas Sweeper LP  , it was released .  The record generates  a signal in the coil that was slowly attenuated in amplitude and period(frequency) , with this LP you could now  run the sweep thru your entire system thus degaussing your speakers. This record is still in production.  (Circulation 30k+)

The Ayre "Irrational but Efficacious"  CD is a very popular CD that incorporates our original sweep..  These sweepers soon made all other methods obsolete for stereo system degaussing. 

This is an ancient technology but the real underlying pearl of wisdom is not what we are doing or how we are doing it  BUT WHY!!! 

There is an intrinsic problem with dynamic loudspeakers and this problem  becomes larger and more profound as the speakers becomes smaller for reasons that I will not go into her, it suffices to say that there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people that are regularly degauss much large speakers in their home systems with very good and repeatable results. 

[size=larger]The original method of degaussing was to install electromagnetic coils into or around the ships, it was known simply as coiling.  

[size=larger]In our system the coil is the one in the speaker itself -- a real advantage of the sweeper method is that the signal (and thus associated magnetic field) can be attenuated in both amplitude and time interval (frequency) !!

Degauser's work by alternating reversing the magnetic field in the semi-saturated metal pieces in the speakers magnetic circuit in smaller and smaller increments, moving them towards the  magnetic zero point.   --  In the Clarifier App  I use a logarithmic [/size][size=larger]attenuation[/size][size=larger] of amplitude and time period  (Frequency)  this is noticeably superior to simply attenuating a sine because of material hysteresis.

anyway ...[/size]

[size=larger]This this a great app it will make a little of difference that some of you will appreciate and a few of you will find ALL OF THIS very enlightening   [size=smaller]  [/size][size=larger][size=smaller]HEY it cost a *ing dollar!! [/size] [size=smaller] give it a try[/size]. [size=smaller] Y[/size][/size]ou will learn something and have some fun,  try it on your car stereo if you have a input port do you wife's IEM's she will love you. 

----
OK here is an interesting disclaimer -- the real problem here is in the design of the drivers themselves.  Like in conductors/cables fixing the geometry itself is the real step forward not band-aids like this -this app is a partial and temporary solution that has to be repeated from time to time.  -one of my current projects is the design and production of a driver design that has no saturable  material in the magnetic circuit.. preliminary results are very interesting.    It's why you are all waiting for my IEM's  :wink:   LOL 

Peace and Harmony
George[/size]
[/size]

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:
[size=larger]In the Clarifier App  I use a logarithmic [size=larger]attenuation[/size][size=larger] of amplitude and time period  (Frequency)  this is noticeably superior to simply attenuating a sine because of material hysteresis.[/size]

[size=larger]Peace and Harmony
George[/size]
[/size]

Do you have some before and after measurements of transducers magnetic fields to illustrate the effect of the app, i.e can you show that it works ?

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

This is the Sound Science forum.

"Try it" doesn't work here. By the "try it" method, even putting photographs of yourself in your freezer (a la Peter Belt) "works."

se

He also explained it above...  It wasn't just try it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back