Cardas Clarifier iPhone App
Feb 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #47 of 64
Bought this app, have been using it for 3 moths cant say I hear any difference sonic wise.

It cannot make any difference because the only ferromagnetic material in a headphone driver is the permanent magnet. And this magnet doesn't demagnetize that fast due to sound playback. And if it did, the headphone would simply stop working at all.

It is 99 cent so it will not bankrupt you

That's the point of such apps - to get few people to try them "because it's cheap" and hope that eventually few * 0.99$ will become more than the cost of hiring an iOS coder for few hours to hack this app together.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:
It cannot make any difference because the only ferromagnetic material in a headphone driver is the permanent magnet. 

You're sure of that? Not just that there are no other magnetic materials, but that there are none that can be MADE magnetic? If this is true, then it is impossible for me to see how it could work. Or could materials in the housing have a slight effect if close enough? Wires even?

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:
Here we go. Plastic housing, plastic diaphragm, copper (or aluminium) voice coil, magnets.

Well, there's the pole piece, which isn't a magnet, but is magnetized by the magnet proper.

Quote:
I never managed to magnetize copper or plastic. Maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Wimp!
tongue.gif

se

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #51 of 64
Face it, it's a BS app.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:
Here we go. Plastic housing, plastic diaphragm, copper (or aluminium) voice coil, magnets.

I never managed to magnetize copper or plastic. Maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Maybe you should have used a power conditioner??

But seriously - that looks like about it the chances of this working. Otoh, it's nice to know that audio companies can consistently do something right.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:
Face it, it's a BS app.

I have problems believing it is intended that way; when Jude tried to prevent criticism on the main thread the seller said, no, let the debate begin! Ummm, just like Chairman Mao when he wanted to find out who his enemies were, so he could send them to camps...

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

I'm not saying the app works, but no. There are ferric components - or at least could be, depending on design details - that can get magnetized which shouldn't be, and this could have an effect on sq by interfering with the deliberate field. And it is possible that an annealing procedure might reduce the effect. 

...Which is an awful lot of possible, maybe, and could.

If we are talking about stuff in the headphone that all of the sudden became permanent magnets through regular music playback "magnetization": What would be the Curie temperature of such ferrites? and how would a sweep of tones (and music in the first place) played through a mighty iPod result in the required annealing (with out burning our heads to carbon bits and our headphones to plastic gooey stuff)? AFAIK formation (and demagnetization) of permanent magnets through annealing requires unsafe temperatures in the hundreds or thousands of degrees depending on alloy.

If we are talking about the pole piece which is not a permanent magnet. Then we are talking about degaussing something that is not a magnet, which I (and others) think makes no sense.

Face it, it's a BS app.

So far it appears that it absolutely and definitively is.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

If we are talking about stuff in the headphone that all of the sudden became permanent magnets through regular music playback "magnetization": What would be the Curie temperature of such ferrites? and how would a sweep of tones (and music in the first place) played through a mighty iPod result in the required annealing (with out burning our heads to carbon bits and our headphones to plastic gooey stuff)? AFAIK formation (and demagnetization) of permanent magnets through annealing requires unsafe temperatures in the hundreds or thousands of degrees depending on alloy.

By magnetic annealing I did NOT mean that the process would work through heating ferric components, but that the variation in intensity is annealing like! Or at least like that I am familiar with in the stochastic optimization technique "simulated annealing." My bad.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #57 of 64
My favorite quote from the original thread:

"I did find that the sound was a tiny bit cleaner sounding after the treatment, like after you use some Windex to clean your windows."

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #58 of 64
Yeah, I found that one quite amusing as well.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #60 of 64
This app works. My Sony MDR-Z7 headphones after hours of use start to sound more closed up and narrow. After the app, they sound like I originally heard them with greater space and bass clarity. Same thing goes for my car stereo speakers. More bass clarity. I use the app every so often when I feel my stuff needs it. I can't explain or quantify it with measurements, but to my ears, it works. So be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back