Cardas cable + HD 650?
Mar 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mescalamba

Head-Fier
Soo.. cause Ive heard rumors that changing cable for HD 650 really helps (Im sure it helps for HD 600, cause its been simply tested).

But, does anyone really tried HD 650 + Cardas cable? And did it help?

Plus, are there any other good/proved brands of cables for HD 650?

Im just currently not exactly happy with HD 650.. it needed some burn-in period which "cleared" headphones sound and it seems that now it has more hights and mids than before (equals - less bass), but its still bit over-bassed..

I hope that it can be "tuned" for having balanced sound (with maybe bit more bass, cause I like it, but just tiny bit more).. cause I really dont want to end with HD 800 (ok I want, Im just not convinced that I need them..).

Btw. this is terrible forum.. before I know just few things about this... now I know much more (still just little) and it seems that I will spend crazy loads of money on my future audio equipment.
biggrin.gif

Its not that long time since I tought that headphones for 100 USD are too expensive..

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Too be completely honest, if you're not happy with the sound signature of your headphones, do not expect a cable change to make a significant difference. An amp with a strong voltage swing (read around amp forums, there is plenty about synergies with this headphone) will tighten them up considerably, in my opinion. Perhaps you simply don't like how the HD650s sound, and there is nothing wrong with that- often people do not like the quantity of bass that these headphones have.

Read around a bit on headphones that are supposed to be a bit leaner on the bass-end and maybe you'll end up finding something that matches what you want the Senns to be. Resale value of these headphones is pretty good on these forums if you're outside of your return range for your Senns, so if you find something you like better, you can recover much of what you've spent.

Just my $0.02, and good luck!
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Stretching the headband for less clamping force makes the sound less bassy and generally brighter. But take care not to overstretch it (not for fear of cracking, but the lacquer could peel off by doing so). A looser fit makes for slightly more distant drivers.

Among the cables I've tried Zu Mobius and Silver Dragon were the best matches with the HD 650. Both open up the treble and add a nice sparkle to it (or recreate it, resp., compared to the duller stock cable). Also, the sound becomes clearer and more transparent. It's not a night-and-day difference, but if you generally like the sound of the HD 650, it may be worth it. (To my ears, IMO)

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 10
The Cardas cable does not sound good to me. I didn't try it with the HD650, but I did with the HD600. I can't imagine that it would synergize well with the HD650, given its dark sound. I actually liked the HD650 cable a lot more. If you decide to upgrade, go with a higher purity wire. Choose copper, silver, or SPC according to your taste.

The Enigma Audio Oracle is supposed to be a great choice with the HD650. It is made from a unique (?) silver alloy wire. I've enjoyed a UPOCC copper cable that Zach made for me for several months now, so I'm inclined to believe the hype.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mescalamba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will see if I get rid of HD 650 (and buy HD 800) or simply get better cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

At least the HD 800 doesn't implicitly need a better cable – the standard cable sounds quite good.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 10
I agree that if you don't like the HD650's, sell them and try some new headphones. I have a pair and happen to like them. I have tried them with the stock cable, a custom cable made from UPOCC copper, and a custom cable of pure silver. I can't say that there was a huge difference between any of them. I will be trying one last cable which will be of OCC silver to see if it makes anymore difference (just out of curiosity). Cables in general will only get you that last couple percent of change in sound, if that. Much better to change your headphones if you don't like the sound signature.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 10
I had the Cardas, Blue Dragon and the stock cables when I had the HD-600 and HD-650. There wasn't a lick of difference between the four. I did like the Cardas for its nice build quality.

My advice is to try your HD-650 with different amps. The HD-650 changes its character depending on what it's plugged in to. Those differences can be measured and quantified, unlike cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back