Cardas A8 IEM
Jan 26, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #226 of 429
Um, don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're missing Ms. Cardas' point. The bottom photo you've linked for comparison purposes is a mock up; that is, it's not intended to be 100% representative of the A8 "in the flesh." So there's no discrepancy in the design of the tips, really.

I would agree with you but it's not that simple.
There seem to be several revisions that popped out during development and those visualisations our different than reality. This is how it was suppose to look like "in the flesh".

However - the most important part is how those tips affect sound. With those included bass is muddy and way north from neutral in quantity. Using tips similar to those above changed that in significant way - comfort is better, isolation is better, bass is clearer and yet remains punchy and fun.
I'm just saying' - if you own a pair - try different tips than stock ones:)

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #228 of 429
No need....ordered the cardas a8..looked at the the 20I at the apple store...not liking the look of it in the flesh...had a listen for 30 min returned them there and then. The a8 will be here tomorrow....

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #230 of 429
Awesome R&D Cardas!!!

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #231 of 429
  I would agree with you but it's not that simple.
There seem to be several revisions that popped out during development and those visualisations our different than reality. This is how it was suppose to look like "in the flesh".

However - the most important part is how those tips affect sound. With those included bass is muddy and way north from neutral in quantity. Using tips similar to those above changed that in significant way - comfort is better, isolation is better, bass is clearer and yet remains punchy and fun.
I'm just saying' - if you own a pair - try different tips than stock ones:)

Hm, your point is well taken!
redface.gif
 And I do own a pair, I was one of the first to acquire an A8. I swapped out the stock tips for Comply Tx-400s, and haven't looked back. So I'm in agreement with you that the stock tips, while of decent quality and relatively comfortable, leave something to be desired sonically. Everything just "falls in to place" with the Comply tips, really.

I'm listening to the A8 right now, and while I still think that Aurisonics' ASG-1PLUS remains the superior IEH overall, there is a good reason that I continue to listen to Cardas' offering on a daily basis. It sounds absolutely fantastic! 
etysmile.gif
 Wonderfully balanced, yet also loads of fun. I'd even go so far as to say that the A8 may be the superior all-rounder, as its tonal balance suits certain music better than the 1PLUS' more "monitor" like presentation. With Comply tips, it has never left me fatigued.

So, all praise to Cardas for the spectacular work! Playing some Janek Gwizdala, drinking a glass of limited vintage rum, A8 pumping out tunes from my iPhone... not a bad way to spend an evening. 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #232 of 429
Got mine yesterday. Listened to them out of the box and almost had a heart attack -- lots of intermod in the mids. Burned them in for 24 hours, popped the Comply foam tips on and they sounded BEAUTIFUL! Music with proper recording technique and EQ like Patricia Barber, Sara K., Cantate Domino and The All Star Percussion Ensemble sounded, well, beautiful. Nice extension up and down. Liquid mids. They sounded flat, as advertised. Watch out for kids' music like Coldplay, Kendrick Lamar and Raury though. The over emphasized lows employed to make the beat prominent on crummy EarPods and car stereos makes the music pretty much unlistenable on the A8s. The downside of a flat, wideband driver. Oh, and I was listening on a very burned-in Pono Player with the Cardas balanced cable. The pairing is definitely TOTL sound... for $750. Wow!

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #233 of 429
Hey, alpha421 , how would you compare these to the Ocharaku Donguri Keyakis? The price points aren't too far apart. I like how drums are rendered on the Keyakis (and therefore use 'em when playing my Yamaha electronic drumkit.) I imagine the A8s are less sibilant, warmer, and with more midrange presence. What about: detail retrieval and sound isolation? Thanks.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #234 of 429
Got mine from loaner's program by Todd  (http://www.ttvjaudio.com/), thanks!  :)

Although I am probably unbiased because I didn't pay, no emotion attached.  But be aware that my personal preference on audio is strongly toward flat presentation.      YMMV.   
So here is a short comparison with some other phones I have, everything are relative.  It will help if you have one of those phones as reference point to mine.

The following chars are not objective, they are purely my subjective feelings.   Only for comparing to your feelings on the same phone:

VSonic sounded to me is flat, close to reference, but the bass and highs are a little bit recessed.   The sound stage is not very wide, but I do not care much about the size of sound stage.  I care more about 'immersiveness'. Don't know how to describe it, it is a feeling that the sound comes naturally out of the inner part of the brain, instead of feed from the outside.     It is a pretty good, and boring phone. Good for critical listening, not for fun.

HD580 (with HD600 grill) is a very enjoyable, all around.  The frequency response is a little V shaped, adding fun to most of the music type.  But it is a little bit grainy; not as immersive as IEM;  the sound stage is big, but a little too big for my tast.

IE80's characteristics are similar to HD580.  IE80 is also V shaped, but not as much as HD580  (I have turned bass knob to the lowest level, and I hope I can turn to even lower level).  Since it is IEM, it has better immersiveness;  the sound stage is smaller, but just right for my taste.    

HE560 is at a whole new level compared to HD580.  The details, immersiveness, speed, no grains at all. Very large sound stage, a little bit too large, but doesn't sound offensive to me at all, it is enjoyable.   It beats HD580 from every aspect.   Only if you don't mind the frequency response, the lows are fast and transparent, but the lows and the highs are not balanced.

Finally, Cardas A8.    It is a very fine, and very fun phone!  

1. Fine:
The smoothness is better than IE80, HD580.  from low to high, there are no grains.
The bass is very fast and impactful.
Isolation is top notch, better than GR07 and IE80.
Details: for most of my friends, it has more details, especially in mids and highs.  To me, my ears are trained by GR07, I can pick out more subtle details in GR07's recessed highs and lows.  But for most people, for casual listening, A8 presents more details.

2. Fun:
Compared to other IEMs (VSonic GR07, Senn IE80) it makes all my music more enjoyable, I just keep listen and listen...  To my ears it is a little bit more V shaped than IE80, which makes it fun, it brings life and energy from music.    (To most of my friends: GR07 has NO Bass, unlistenable; IE80 has some bass, but they want more.   And A8 has just right amount of bass.)    The amount of bass is GOOD, but I hope the mid-low bass can be a little cleaner.
The sound stage is quite wide, which also contributes to the fun factor.

IEMs are for enjoying music on-the-go.   Cardas A8 is excellent for the job.

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #235 of 429
Just tried these out today at a store.

Fit: The medium double-flange tips have the best fit for me, and yeah, they MUST be worn down. They feel less heavy than the RHA T20s, but are still quite solid. No bare metal means more comfort as well. Cable is quite good for the bottom half - soft, but able to withstand a fair bit of abuse. Top half (the part that leads to the earpieces) isn't as good. They conduct some noise, and are too short in general. I also wish you could remove them from the earpieces so that you can switch them with something else.

Sound-wise, they're very coherent and smooth. I think they're a bit more mid-forward than most IEMs I've tried. The bass is excellent - not overpowering or pushy, but still very present. Speed is good too, so they're not mushy in any way. Treble isn't rolled off, but it isn't peaky either. Overall, they're just comfortable.

A couple caveats: They stick out a bit. Not in any obvious way, but if you're not using the right eartips, they'll drag themselves out. I wish they were a bit more flush with my ears. The nozzle diameter is somewhat unique as well, so some eartips wont fit.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #236 of 429
Okay, guys, could you go here

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

and tell us how well the A8 extends and to where? That will give people a good idea of what's what in terms of treble extension.

Thanks so much and much appreciated.

16khz is barely audible at -12 db, 12khz is pretty uncomfortable overall at over -24db, 8khz at -18db. If there is treble rolloff, it's not apparent. Of course, that could also be due to my hearing loss at the upper frequencies. There is a fair amount of bass, though, because it gets pretty rumbly at 30hz, -36db.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #238 of 429
I just picked up a pair from Echo Audio in Portland. The build quality is certainly impressive, and I like the included case.

The sound profile leans to the lows, dramatically. This is outside my normal palette, but I'm hoping to adjust to it over the next few days. My primary set ups are ER4 and at home I use HD650. 

-sheldon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back