Cardas A8 IEM
May 6, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #258 of 429
Just got hold of a pair of these (had to resort to eBay as UK sellers are hard to come by, sadly). Looking forward to hearing the Cardas take on a "new" dynamic driver design - hoping it lives up to my expectations! Will try and pop a review up here at some point in the next week or two once I have managed some proper long term listening. Any current owners have any suggestions for synergy regarding tips (I'm a fan of Comply, so glad it came with some) or sources/amping?

May 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #259 of 429
Managed a quick hour, and the tip issue us sorted - Spinfits sound great, but the cable is too short to wear over ear and the solid brass buds are so heavy they keep falling out with anything but foam, so it's Comply all the way. That rubberised blue coating may look nice, but it doesn't do anything to keep them in place!

Sound is damn smooth, though. Looking forward to spending some time with these...

May 9, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #260 of 429
Still listening and burning in, but the sound keeps getting smoother in my head. With the right track, these things can verge on Aurisonics levels of bass excellence. Going to enjoy writing these things up.

May 9, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #262 of 429
I think they are better then the asg1plus in bass response.

It's been a while since I sold on my 1Plus so can't do an A/B, but you might be right. They remind me of the 2.5 (which I still have) in a few ways. I only listen to the 2.5 with ports 1/4 open to avoid scrambling my brains like a smoothie with the insane air that driver kicks out, tho. Whatever it is, it's top notch.

May 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #264 of 429
The part from y splitter and lower can be upgraded, just contact cardas about it ☺

The problem is not the from the y splitter down but from the y connector to the buds. Below the ysplit the cable is rubberized and wrapped around a cloth like tube making it pretty unmicrophonic.

But from the y splitter to the earbuds the cable is copper (bare wire) wrapped in cotton. A lot of people think that bare metal in cotton sounds good (the dielectric is different than metal in rubber... slightly different)

but for a iem this mean that any touching of the cable is touching the copper thus the mechanical movement is transmitted.

This is my only problem with the a8. The highs are a little recessed but thats OK (actually works nice modern music that a lot of times has to much energy here, thought not always). The iem is on the heavier side but not much heavier than other gear. But the microphoniss cramp my style.

I like to Bob my head to the beat but that's not possible with these.

May 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #266 of 429
Try them around the ears

How do you wear yours over your ears?! Mine will garrotte me if I try that they are so short... Or do you wear the cable behind your neck as well?

May 16, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #270 of 429
sorry to hear that, maybe get an upgrade canle that is longer?.

You can't change the cable above the Y-split, sadly - it's a shame they didn't mashe that section detachable it's just a few inches too short to be viable fir wearing over-ear for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back