car-fi
Nov 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #901 of 1,421
Quote:
Oh man you are starting to sound like our Ferrari loving friend from this thread 
biggrin.gif
. Performance is important but you are going too far with it, you sound like you are just going to be driving around a track everyday where that second faster a pro driver can go around a track is the only thing that matters. I am a fan of WRXs and Subaru in general just not STIs which I think are some of the most overrated cars out there; unless of course you are only planning to race on a track. I don't want to comment on the other stuff you mention because I don't see how you can be disappointed in an 328i and IS250 for not being on the same level as some TOTL models; especially if my assumption is correct that you have never driven any of them. 

LOL don't want that happening here. I admit, I'm not a die-hard petrol head, but I still think the STi is one of the best values out there. I admit, the WRX is a MUCH better solution because it has more than enough performance on the road, and it's actually a comfortable and useful car on the road. The STi however, it's nowhere near as comfortable, and with it's thirsty 93+ octane fuel, not exactly an economical solution as well. Actually, your assumption is off as I drove a 07 323i, 07 335i, forgot which year IS250 AWD, and the current STi. The STi and 335i were manuals and the lexus and 323i were auto. Honestly speaking, I thought the Lexus was a bit rubbish. The AWD system wasn't really good at all compared to Quattro and Subie's system, the steering felt unresponsive, and the engine was a bit sluggish. Gearbox was pretty good, but nothing special about an Auto. 323i was definitely better than the IS250 AWD as the 323i is rear-driven compared to a mediocre AWD system, but I still think the BMW would've been better than the Lexus if it wasn't AWD. I don't know, nothing really impressed me about the 323i. It was all too predictable. The steering and throttle was bang on, and I like the smooth I6 engine, but nothing really blew me away. However, the 335i was definitely something. It REALLY packed a punch. It just wanted to go sideways (it was raining) and everything was spot on from experience. The seating position, the gearbox, the engine, nothing was at fault with this one. Also, it had the red seats which I realllllly liked compared to the boring black interior in the 323i. STi to me, it was like my Legacy GT, but times 10. Unlike my LGT, it has a controllable center diff and a lot of electronic aids. The STi felt sooooo damn planted on the road and the speed of the thing! It was a testdrive with this one while I was waiting for my car to finish, but that really made me want to save up for one. I don't really like the look of the 5-door, but the 4-door looks golly amazing. It's really hard to think of another car for the price that does what the STi think and that's what I stand by. I don't care if you think I'm going too far because the STi is one of the best packages you can get for under $40k. People will argue that the EVOX is better, but like you said, I'm a Subaru fan like I'm a Grado fan. I think you should really ask the person if they drove the cars before presuming it because I don't usually say stuff on the internet to waste people's time. Just as more reference, I drove the BMWs and Lexus because my friends own them and they trust me with their cars (rich kids in Vancity... I feel out of place).

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #902 of 1,421
Well agree to disagree than, but I totally respect your opinion (thank baby jesus you have actually driven some of the cars unlike the Ferrari dude) 
beerchug.gif
I have experience with these cars as I actually used to own a WRX and I have had STIs on multiple long term loans including some heavily modded ones (when I worked as a reseller) and I currently drive an E46 330ci so Im not exactly talking out of my booty either. Through my old job I have driven a lot of different cars (probably into the hundreds) and I too have a few rich friends and I do have some rich family members as well whom are very into cars like myself. Most of which have very nice cars that I have driven/or worked on. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #903 of 1,421
LOL yes, I agree. Everyone should talk on experience. Everyone's an intellectual in my eyes until I can prove that they are horribly incorrect. I'm just curious though, what makes you think those things about the STi's? I only met a few die-hard track junkies who concluded that the EVO is a better track car than the STi and people who thought it looked ugly (all preference). As a daily driver, I don't see much wrong with it and especially in the winter I don't think you can ever go wrong with an AWD system.

So you drive a E46 330ci... Lovely engine that thing...

And just to put it out, my front drivers side tire underwent "tire separation" so my car is considered a "hazard" until I get new tires... And just to make it worse, since it's AWD, I need to replace all 4 tires... Ehh... The tires were at 30-40% anyways but I was hoping to drive them a bit more to save $... Karma lol.. Just ordered a set of Continental Extremecontact DWS from the states. Unreal price difference between Canada and the States! Savings of $200!

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #904 of 1,421
Hmm.  STI's are nice.  But the IS250 smells better.  The interior is much nicer as well for a daily driver. The Corvette by most reviews is fast, fun, and uncomfortable due to thin and poorly designed seats.  The STI has nice sport seats and all, don't get me wrong.  But there is something nice about being wrapped in heated and cooled leather seats that make a nice luxury car special.  That and the leather smell. :D

If you were wanting to race in the dry around a track or get on a drag strip.  Before anyone whips out a can of Subie love to hit me with, the new corvette set the record on the Nürburgring and the LS7 engine is a monster on the drag strip.
Corvette > STI > BMW 3 Series > IS250

For Comfort
IS250 >= BMW > STI > Corvette

Snow and rain performance would depend on whether you bought the AWD variants of the BMW and Lexus... But the STI does well in snow and the Corvette does horribly.  Personally I would look for an IS350.  The engine is more powerful and the aftermarket much bigger than the IS250.

While performance is very important.  If you are going to spend long periods in the car, comfort becomes just as important. Ample leg room, head room, comfortable seats, and ergonomic controls are just as important on long drives as power and handling.

Another thing to look at is image.  

Corvette usually implies you are going through a mid life crisis, and feel a need to compensate.
A new BMW 3 series is often associated with snobby kids with rich parents, an older one with cool car guys.
An STI screams that you are a 30 year old who hasn't grown up yet.
A Lexus IS250 says young and successful, but perhaps a bit of a wanker.  :D

Choose whatever fits, and rock the image out!

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #906 of 1,421
Our Mecum cars came in yesterday, my wife's new run-around micro (Isetta 300):

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #908 of 1,421
Planx, don't believe what the tire guys tell you. You should be able to run uneven treads on an AWD car. The Audi engineers quoted up to ~3% mismatch in rolling diameter is OK (you can go up or down a profile size without hitting that limit) on the torsen center diffs. I can't imagine it would be  much different in the Subie. Tire shops love to tell you that it will destroy your trans if you don't replace all four because they make more money that way :wink: You don't have to take my word for it though, do a little research and see what you come up with. I'm betting that it'll save you at least a few hundred dollars next time you need to replace tires.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #909 of 1,421
I just got some brand new tires and came out this morning to find my front left tire to be completely flat, I filled it up and it held until I could get to a local gas station and when I did it was already looking pretty flat.  I threw a can of fix-a-flat in it and it seems to be holding ok at least long enough for me to put in a day of driving.  I took the wheel off an put it in some water and there was a small leak from where the sidewall meets the rim.  They are brand new so I don't see why they should be having problems and were mounted properly buy the store I bought them from, any suggestions on what I should do and if the shop will repair them or blame it on me?

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #910 of 1,421
Hmm.  STI's are nice.  But the IS250 smells better.  The interior is much nicer as well for a daily driver. The Corvette by most reviews is fast, fun, and uncomfortable due to thin and poorly designed seats.  The STI has nice sport seats and all, don't get me wrong.  But there is something nice about being wrapped in heated and cooled leather seats that make a nice luxury car special.  That and the leather smell. :D

If you were wanting to race in the dry around a track or get on a drag strip.  Before anyone whips out a can of Subie love to hit me with, the new corvette set the record on the Nürburgring and the LS7 engine is a monster on the drag strip.
Corvette > STI > BMW 3 Series > IS250

For Comfort
IS250 >= BMW > STI > Corvette

Snow and rain performance would depend on whether you bought the AWD variants of the BMW and Lexus... But the STI does well in snow and the Corvette does horribly.  Personally I would look for an IS350.  The engine is more powerful and the aftermarket much bigger than the IS250.

While performance is very important.  If you are going to spend long periods in the car, comfort becomes just as important. Ample leg room, head room, comfortable seats, and ergonomic controls are just as important on long drives as power and handling.

Another thing to look at is image.  

Corvette usually implies you are going through a mid life crisis, and feel a need to compensate.
A new BMW 3 series is often associated with snobby kids with rich parents, an older one with cool car guys.
An STI screams that you are a 30 year old who hasn't grown up yet.
A Lexus IS250 says young and successful, but perhaps a bit of a wanker.  :D

Choose whatever fits, and rock the image out!
Given the choice I would take an IS350 over the 250 everytime. It gets the same mileage, but with 300 horsepower. And in some instances it can be found used for the same price as an equally equipped IS250. Atleast where I live.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #911 of 1,421
Quote:
I just got some brand new tires and came out this morning to find my front left tire to be completely flat, I filled it up and it held until I could get to a local gas station and when I did it was already looking pretty flat.  I threw a can of fix-a-flat in it and it seems to be holding ok at least long enough for me to put in a day of driving.  I took the wheel off an put it in some water and there was a small leak from where the sidewall meets the rim.  They are brand new so I don't see why they should be having problems and were mounted properly buy the store I bought them from, any suggestions on what I should do and if the shop will repair them or blame it on me?

Go there and tell them what happened! If that happened to me I'd just go there and ask them politely to fix the problem. If they refuse to fix it, then I'd start getting less polite. If it is a big chain store and they give you problems, usually deferring to corporate (or threatening to) will move the situation right along in your favor in my experience. I've never really seen a leak at the sidewall except in cases of a bent wheel though.

On second thought, the fact that you put fix-a-flat in it might not help your situation here... I'm not sure if the tire can be used again after that stuff. Don't you have a spare? If they refuse to fix it because of the fix-a-flat, then you might have to suck it up... they are supposed to check for small leaks like that after mounting though, so maybe you can make some claims about that and then push for them to partially reimburse you for a new tire at least.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #912 of 1,421
Quote:
Planx, don't believe what the tire guys tell you. You should be able to run uneven treads on an AWD car. The Audi engineers quoted up to ~3% mismatch in rolling diameter is OK (you can go up or down a profile size without hitting that limit) on the torsen center diffs. I can't imagine it would be  much different in the Subie. Tire shops love to tell you that it will destroy your trans if you don't replace all four because they make more money that way :wink: You don't have to take my word for it though, do a little research and see what you come up with. I'm betting that it'll save you at least a few hundred dollars next time you need to replace tires.

Hmm really? But either way I needed new shoes on my car. I don't know about the insurance policies in other places, but here in British Columbia, if you has A/S tires and the tread is below 40% and you get into an accident, you're instantly held accountable because of poor tires, even if I have AWD. Ehh... I'm still patiently waiting for my Extremecontact DWS...

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #913 of 1,421
I'll be exchanging mine out for the winter rims shortly considering I woke up today to snow
frown.gif
. My friend and I are going to start a video photography blog type of deal for cars and I have been trying to hold out taking them off until we can get a picture session in.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #914 of 1,421
Still no snow up here... Well I live in Raincouver so it's sort of expected... It's been years since we had snow above 5cm... Hoping this year to snow a lot more so me and my fellow Subbie friends can dominate the road 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back