car-fi
Jan 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #931 of 1,421
May is on Twitter? I'm so far behind... I'll watch that Top Gear for sure. I got a bit bored with it when they went around that mountain with a dozen esses at slow speeds but with a fake soundtrack and funky camera angles to make it look fast. The next episode they showed a picture of someone who went to the same place in his Lambo, tried what they had faked and totalled his car. If they've gone back to doing genuinely crazy stuff I'll be happy.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #932 of 1,421
I drive a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI. Its completely stock at the moment. First "mod" I'm going to do is put some carabiners in the trunk for some DIY grocery hooks. I'm not going to do anythign to it while the warranty is in tact. Aiming for a sport bike. But once the warranty is gone, I'm going to go for that APR stage 3+ turbo kit, probably drop the suspension an inch or two (nothing drastic, i just feel like it will look a lot better) and possibly throw in some xenons.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #933 of 1,421
The lower the ride height usually the better! Well as far as the VW crowd is considered anyways... Some dealers will do a stage 1 APR flash under warranty so you might want to check that out if your antsy for the K04. There are other smaller mods you can do that make it look nice without voiding the warranty too like color matched sidemarkers, rims, euro cupholder, seat drawers, all kinds of stuff. Also you could look into Vagcoms which will let you change factory computer settings on your car which is always nice.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #934 of 1,421
Jan 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #935 of 1,421
What are the different turbo stages? Do you need to get them cumulatively? I got a ton of other stuff to save for before the car becomes a priority. Right now its fast enough to pass the idiots going 70 in the left most lane next to a line of semi trucks and that's all I need at the moment lol. I just set cruise control at 80 the rest of the time.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #936 of 1,421
Quote:
What are the different turbo stages? Do you need to get them cumulatively? I got a ton of other stuff to save for before the car becomes a priority. Right now its fast enough to pass the idiots going 70 in the left most lane next to a line of semi trucks and that's all I need at the moment lol. I just set cruise control at 80 the rest of the time.

As a previous Volkswagen owner, I'd recommend a few things. Don't waste your money on upgrading more than coilover suspension and a chip (software) upgrade. The software makes a huge difference and wont hurt anything, the same goes for the suspension. hp/$$ ratio is through the roof on those mods (or handling/$$). The thing is, when you go for a bigger turbo, you'll just want more and more... and more all the time. I've been through it too many times. That is fine if you don't mind spending the money to make more power, but the FWD setup just makes it hard to put power down. Just food for thought. I've done it myself and have plenty of friends who've done the same thing. In the end, they wish they would have just left it with a chip and suspension. Maybe I'm just power hungry:

I did end up getting the M5 I posted a few days back, wonderful car.

I'm also making progress on my Audi project. We decided the turbo is too small (yes the one in the pictures) and the mock-up block is in the car along with the new 6-speed (mock-up) trans. The real block is out getting line bored, main caps and girldle, and balance to 12k RPM. We've also just ordered a NASCAR Tilton triple disk clutch.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #937 of 1,421
Actually, this is exactly what i was thinking. That I would go with a small cosmetic mod here and there (classy spoiler but bigger than that lip spoiler, lower the suspension a touch) and just do a chip tune. The one thing that is a non-cosmetic mod i want to definitely do is put in an ESP off button. It is so annoying that they took it out, and even with 200 horse, it is nearly impossible to get going on a turn without spinning the tire and having the ECU simply cut all power to the engine. I dont care if the wheel spins for a bit during the summer, just let it spin and lets get going, theres traffic coming! lol.

I might look into doing a simple dyno/chip tuning and be done with it, especially if it only is a fraction of the cost and can be activated/deactivated with the push of a button.

One thing I've wanted more than anything is to use the car as a bluetooth receiver for my phone. Right now it downloads my phonebook over bluetooth and uses its own voice recognition software. but google voice is leaps and bounds ahead of volkswagen software. I'd love for the software to dumb itself down.

And finally I'd love to upgrade the audio a touch, but after hearing how horrendously midbass bloated it was in the car, I figured i'd just leave it alone and stick to wearing headphones or something if i REALLY had to listen to music. Heck, most of the time I just listen to audiobooks anyways.

Excellent advice, man. I'm really going to take it to heart. Its my future motorcycle that i want to do any mechanical work/modding on anyways. GSXR600 or some other 600cc is what i'm thinking. I learned on a 1000cc and although I khnow I should start on a 250cc, i dont have money to throw away on a 250cc that i'll get bored of after a year. I'm all for safety first, but i'm not getting a motorcycle because i put my personal safety above all else, you know?

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #938 of 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a previous Volkswagen owner, I'd recommend a few things. Don't waste your money on upgrading more than coilover suspension and a chip (software) upgrade. The software makes a huge difference and wont hurt anything, the same goes for the suspension. hp/$$ ratio is through the roof on those mods (or handling/$$). The thing is, when you go for a bigger turbo, you'll just want more and more... and more all the time. I've been through it too many times. That is fine if you don't mind spending the money to make more power, but the FWD setup just makes it hard to put power down. Just food for thought.

I'm also making progress on my Audi project. We decided the turbo is too small (yes the one in the pictures)

I agree, my second VW was a vrt and it only had 5 gears yet it could spin wheels in 4th. I still miss it sometimes but it was too much of a beast for a daily driver.

What did the Volvo turbo in the picture come off of?

Quote:
And finally I'd love to upgrade the audio a touch, but after hearing how horrendously midbass bloated it was in the car, I figured i'd just leave it alone and stick to wearing headphones or something if i REALLY had to listen to music. Heck, most of the time I just listen to audiobooks anyways.

If you have the Dynaudio system I hear it is a real pain in the butt to modify. Just and fyi for you.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #939 of 1,421
I have whatever comes stock with the 2012 Jetta Gli base model. Not the fender package.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #940 of 1,421
I know it was an addable option for our generation vehicles so I am guessing you don't have it which isn't a big deal but you decide to go with the touch screen display look into getting it second hand from an enthusiast. It's easier on the wallet and (usually) is still in good condition.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #941 of 1,421
I agree, my second VW was a vrt and it only had 5 gears yet it could spin wheels in 4th. I still miss it sometimes but it was too much of a beast for a daily driver.

What did the Volvo turbo in the picture come off of?

If you have the Dynaudio system I hear it is a real pain in the butt to modify. Just and fyi for you.

Vrt's are awesome man. It's all in the sound. What an aural treat! Sometimes it's fun to spin the tires, but it is more fun to hook the power up.

The turbo is from a volvo semi. Good for something around 800 hp but will choke this engine out on the top end.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #945 of 1,421
New baby, definitely keeping this one. It's a real `74 Carrera S, but not an RS. It was converted into an "RS re-creation", with body, drivetrain, and suspension modifications. Looks and drives spot-on like an original, though, even a little better with new adjustable dampers and 300bhp, but was much, much less expensive. Stupid, crazy fun to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back