car-fi
Nov 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #841 of 1,421
If you have no experience with German cars why are you commenting?
Quote:
Parts for German cars cost more than parts for Japanese Cars in general. Same with labour prices. Insurance is higher. Everything is more expensive, they require premium fuel. You have to do oil changes at the dealership. Everything is more expensive on German cars! Where did you find German cars are the same maintenance cost as japenese?

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #842 of 1,421
Parts for German cars cost more than parts for Japanese Cars in general. Same with labour prices. Insurance is higher. Everything is more expensive, they require premium fuel. You have to do oil changes at the dealership. Everything is more expensive on German cars! Where did you find German cars are the same maintenance cost as japenese?

What? I get all my OEM parts from germanautoparts with basically 2 day shipping for the same price as domestic parts. As long as you can do the work yourself it isn't really a problem. I can see maybe dealerships charging more for German than Japanese maybe. You don't have to use 93 octane and dealerships do not have to do the oil changes, although I recommend using OEM filters. I guess I'm not really sure where you are coming from with this?

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #843 of 1,421
Any known negatives regarding the e36 automatic? (Other than being an automatic)

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #844 of 1,421
Quote:
Any known negatives regarding the e36 automatic? (Other than being an automatic)

It is an automatic 
biggrin.gif

A little late on this, but be careful with used performance cars! Always check the suspension components most importantly as they do get thrashed around quite a lot on the road/track and if you have an experienced mechanic friend, be sure to bring him/her along. I know that my friend definitely saved my rear-end because he spotted out numerous problems that I couldn't even find myself with an E30 325is. He estimated a good $5000 worth of repairs needed if I bought the car, including offset suspension, an almost worn-out LSD, and other components that I can't even remember...

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #845 of 1,421
Yeah that's why I'm reluctantly pondering something more current, like a last gen TL. Odds are there's less abuse and the maintenance will undoubtedly be cheaper. I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics, though I've seen worse. I'd consider an Acura RSX too, but the theft rates (and thus insurance) are absurd because I live in the ghetto. Maybe I'll just drive the family SUV until I'm 40.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #846 of 1,421
Quote:
Yeah that's why I'm reluctantly pondering something more current, like a last gen TL. Odds are there's less abuse and the maintenance will undoubtedly be cheaper. I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics, though I've seen worse. I'd consider an Acura RSX too, but the theft rates (and thus insurance) are absurd because I live in the ghetto. Maybe I'll just drive the family SUV until I'm 40.

The last generation TL is a super car FYI. So smooth and plenty of grunt to satisfy majority of drivers. I admit it's a little on the heavy side as it is a sedan, but the balance felt pretty good. Reminded me of the RSX and Integras as the steering was quite direct and responsive. The gearbox wasn't too shabby as well. If I had the dough, I would get one just because it's a great car, but I'm only a student so funds are extremely limited.

EDIT: Try looking for a second hand TSX? If you can find a good one with a 6-speed, daaang you'll be satisfied for quite a long time!

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #847 of 1,421
The last generation TL is a super car FYI. So smooth and plenty of grunt to satisfy majority of drivers. I admit it's a little on the heavy side as it is a sedan, but the balance felt pretty good. Reminded me of the RSX and Integras as the steering was quite direct and responsive. The gearbox wasn't too shabby as well. If I had the dough, I would get one just because it's a great car, but I'm only a student so funds are extremely limited.

EDIT: Try looking for a second hand TSX? If you can find a good one with a 6-speed, daaang you'll be satisfied for quite a long time!

Yah I'm looking for a 6-speed tsx. Very good value for money. I've seen ones with around 175k selling for $8700. Pretty good deal. The tsx has leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, sunroof, power seats, 200hp. All for only 8 grand. Question for you: why didn't you get a tsx?

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #848 of 1,421
Quote:
Yah I'm looking for a 6-speed tsx. Very good value for money. I've seen ones with around 175k selling for $8700. Pretty good deal. The tsx has leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, sunroof, power seats, 200hp. All for only 8 grand. Question for you: why didn't you get a tsx?

No AWD and for $8000+, that's nearly double what I paid for my Subaru... And the TSX you're looking at has more KMs than mine

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #849 of 1,421
I have three. Wife drives the 07 Saturn Ion, I split between the two Ford Pintos. Saturn has a 2.2l ecotec with the auto transmission.

1973 Ford Pinto Station Wagon off and on during the summer, roll and restore, need some body work to pop out a dent in the fender and a paint job. Everything else is done. 2.0l 4 cylinder (same motor as in the early capri's) with the Ford C4 3 speed automatic.

Primary is a 1978 Ford Pinto Sedan that was my mom's first car. Everything has been done to it, including paint but that was awhile ago. Need to repair some small rust in the quarters and it needs another paint job. My brother painted it in autobody class in highschool. That was 12 years ago and the clear coat is de-laminating now. :frowning2: 2.3L 4 cylinder with the original 4 speed transmission, upgraded 8" rear axle with 3.10:1 gears. 

They've never left me stranded and never seen a true shop since I've owned them, aside from Les Schwab for alignments. I do everything mechanical, body and electrical myself.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #850 of 1,421
Quote:

No AWD and for $8000+, that's nearly double what I paid for my Subaru... And the TSX you're looking at has more KMs than mine

Your legacy is older than the 2004 tsx. It doesnt have leather seats. And 175k on a tsx or any honda is not considered high, most run smoothly to at least 250-300k. The tsx brand new is around 35-40 grand while a brand new legacy is 30 grand or less. The legacy does have AWD as you mentioned which is nice. But AWD has the potential to go wrong. Subaru's generally dont run to as high milage as honda's do. Oh and I must ad alot of cars under the 5k could need repairs. There are people in this community who spend 2 grand on the LCD-3, 8k is not a lot my any means.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #851 of 1,421
Quote:
Your legacy is older than the 2004 tsx. It doesnt have leather seats. And 175k on a tsx or any honda is not considered high, most run smoothly to at least 250-300k. The tsx brand new is around 35-40 grand while a brand new legacy is 30 grand or less. The legacy does have AWD as you mentioned which is nice. But AWD has the potential to go wrong. Subaru's generally dont run to as high milage as honda's do. Oh and I must ad alot of cars under the 5k could need repairs. There are people in this community who spend 2 grand on the LCD-3, 8k is not a lot my any means.

So higher depreciation value is considered better now? And leather seats is just an option, nothing huge and on a 12 year old car, I wouldn't want to be sitting my ass on a 12 year old leather seat where I have to condition it every month. Subaru's are known to be notoriously sturdy vehicles. And AWD doesn't go wrong though, nor has it... I haven't heard any horror stories from Subaru owners and their symmetrical AWD systems, only problems with Subaru's are the leaky headgaskets, which only occur within 6 years of the car's life, but to this day, Subaru fixed the Headgasket problem where they added aluminum coverings instead of plastic and the Engine Coolant additive. Once you get the two done with old Subarus, it shouldn't have any headgasket leaks. Some of the points you make are just not valid man... What I meant was my Legacy is 4 years older than a TSX and has less KMs on it... I never said it was high, I just said that it was higher than mine. Do you own any Subarus? Do you have a Subaru where the AWD went wrong? I've seen the original Subaru Legacys running fine today with 300-400k.. Heck, my neighbour has a 1990 Legacy Wagon and it has 400k... Not a single engine swap, transmission swap, nothing. Just maintenance and minor fix-ups. I have experience so I can actually back up my reasons, and my family owned Hondas our entire life, just 5 years ago we made the switch to Toyota (family car) and Subaru (my car). My brother has a 2007 Acura CSX and I think he put in more money fixing it than me with my Subaru... Does he race? No. Just the car itself isn't as amazingly made as back in the days. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #852 of 1,421
basketball, where do you get your information about cars? Clearly not from first-hand experience. Parts for German cars can be had for just about as cheap as anything else, almost none actually "require" 93 octane with advances in modern ECU technology (OBD-II helped out with this a lot... most will just reduce power to compensate for lower octanes at this point. Even my OBD1 Audi from 1991 had this capability), and I have no idea why in the world you'd need to take a German car to the dealer to have the oil changed. There is no difference in the way you change the oil!

...and what's this about AWD being a problem? How can it be a problem exactly? 182-ish k on my 1991 Audi with ~500 hp put through the stock trans with not a single problem EVER. It will be getting replaced for something a little stronger to handle more than double that power figure, but I have no fear of problems with an AWD transmission in terms of anything but handling extreme power levels.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #853 of 1,421
I've been reading up bimmerforums, and even they state that their cars are a bit less reliable (the e46 more than the e36), and are more costly in maintenance/repairs due to sub-par build quality from the factory. Is no true?

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #854 of 1,421
I have no first hand experience with E46's, but my buddy has one and his has been very good to him. I prefer the E36 though. As stated on the previous page, I've done very well with BMWs of the 90s and intend to buy an E39 M5 (2003-ish). If you take good care of them, they will take good care of you. The later M-series get costly to repair, but the same is not true for the older stuff, especially if you can work on the car yourself. BMW was pretty smart when designing most of their cars so they are very easy to work on in my experience.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #855 of 1,421
Quote:
I've been reading up bimmerforums, and even they state that their cars are a bit less reliable (the e46 more than the e36), and are more costly in maintenance/repairs due to sub-par build quality from the factory. Is no true?

I heard the M cars are very well built when they rolled out of the factory, but the same couldn't be said for the mainstream 3s. Don't take my word on this as I read this up somewhere else and it's not backed up by anything. I think the things to look for when looking for a used Bimmer is to see if the LSD is okay (if it has a LSD), see if the gearbox has been smashed around, and check the suspension. Engine should be okay as I've seen E30s go past the 300k mark with minor fix-ups and regular maintenance. Just gotta watch out for the M models as they probably have been abused here and there (come on, it's an M car). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back