car-fi
Oct 4, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #19 of 1,421
anything european and cool from about 1998-2006 you can get for under 5k.

Personally I like audi, bmw, and mercedes for that time period. (all german, hey the germans make good stuff :p)

uhh....your request is too vague, even for me, and put my love for cars over my love for music and headphones.

Give me more description and limits and I'll get you a good set down the model, year, color, you name it.

But no matter what you do, check how many miles it has done, it is very important for insurance and maintainance. if it's over 100k miles run away, I don't care if it's a Ferrari or an MG, GET AWAY

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 1,421
At the end of last year, I was driving a '95 4dr 4x4 Suzuki Sidekick.

This year, I'm driving an '09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

5760_cc0640_001_PV6.jpg

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by baxbunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2008 Golf GTI mkIV 4 door.
Got the 18" rims instead of 17" regular.
Way too much torque at low rpm... took me a week to get used to it

~200 lb/ft is way too much?
confused.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #22 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do you guys recommend for a high school student with around 5 thousands? Btw, I prefer sedan 4d. Thanks

Get something old and easy to work on. Something like a late 1960s Ford Galaxie 500 convertible had be had around there.

They're a snap to wrench on, parts are dead cheap and you'll have an awesome time tooling around with your friends and the top down.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #23 of 1,421
wow.. what's the insurance on a 325i for a high schooler run these days? well over the 5K purchase price I'd imagine

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~200 lb/ft is way too much?
confused.gif

Maybe if you're coming from something like a Civic...
smile.gif

More likely, it's a torque steer issue. Upengined FWD cars with decent amounts of torque often run into that problem since manufacturers try to skimp costs by not making the proper modifications needed to compensate for the additional torque.

Driver of a 2009 Subie WRX here. Before that, had a 2002 Nissan Maxima with the absurd levels of torque steer that plagued that generation of VQ35 Nissans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i loves bmws but the insurance and maintain fee is too high compare to japanese car? What do you guys think about huyndai, kia?? i found pretty good 06s, 07s model around 5k

Assuming that's a hard limit with little money to pour into repairs later on, I'd look into a MY2004 or later Hyundai Elantra. Stick if possible. They're reliable, practical, reasonably entertaining, and an all round decent choice. Plus you should still have a few years of warranty coverage left.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #25 of 1,421
Nic car Ray, blame the us govt for those hideous black bumpers they made you guys have.. bleh.. the chrome ones were so much more in keeping with the original design. My friend has a MGB V8, mind you the lucky bugger also has an MG A that he won in a newspaper giveaway.. lucky devil

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 1,421
I myself drive a 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT coupe. I get 31-35 mpg depending on how fast I drive.
regular_smile .gif

However, I am seriously considering getting a 2010 Honda Fit Sport automatic, though.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #28 of 1,421
i recommend against the honda fit, test drove one...yea not good.

Weak, so its slow, too much body roll, so it's not exactly fun to drive. The salesman even recommended against it, said get the new civic or new accord.

The fit is kinda cool though

Go for: 09 scion xb, or xd, 09 civic (coupe of sedan doesn't matter) but the the sporty one. 09 subaru impreza, 09 ford taurus (looks incredible, haven't driven yet), 09 mini cooper, 10 VW golf ( or step up to gti) these are incredible fun and good looking.

There's a lot more out there than the Fit for that kinda money, or just a tid bit more.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #30 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nissan370zfrontviewr3.jpg

How do you like the 370, Miguel? I've got one on my possibilities list but I am reading some not so favorable long term reviews on transmission/clutch durability and NVH.

I'm oddly shaped (6'3" with a 30" inseam so all of my height is above the waist--6'7" wingspan) and the 370 is one of the two cars in that class that I fit in (Mustang is the other). Even though I like the looks of the 370 better and it handles better, I think a Mustang might be in my future because of what I've read about the Nissan but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back