Cantate or Central Station?
Jul 31, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Matcha

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting a DAC/amp for home use (computer-as-source), and am having a tough time deciding between these two. For the time being, my choice will be used only on a pair of DT880; it will be used for Sennheisers in the future, though, at the very least (not decided between HD600 and HD650, but it's not terribly important, in this case, I don't think).

The ability to use the Central Station as a standalone DAC in the future is attractive, as it allows upgrades to higher-quality amps (if I ever go that route), and prevents me from having to, say, buy an Opera with DAC instead of just an analog Opera. As far as I know, the CS DAC is also superior to the one in the Cantate.

But how does the amp compare? The Cantate's balanced ground means better PSRR and CMRR, but is the difference really that noticeable? Or does the CS's headamp do well enough to make it a better value than the Cantate? (After all, the CS can be had for $420ish + shipping, new -- the Cantate is $140 more than that, which is enough to buy a very good transport in the form of the ESI Juli@.)

Does anyone have enough experience with the two of these to make a suggestion? (I already did a search, both on the forums and Google, and can't find any comparisons. There's only so much you can learn from individual reviews which don't mention the other product!)

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 22
I really like the headphone amp of the Central Station. Pro audio people love this piece and I could never figure out why it never caught on here other than the lack of RCA connections which is easily overcome with simple 1/4 inch male to RCA female adaptors. Read the review here to see how it compares to the Opera:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ns-red-266118/

The Opera has slightly more full bass but the differences between the two are relatively small. The CS also has a superb DAC and a state of the art preamp at a price that cannot be beat.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 22
I've not heard both DAC's before, and have 0 experience with Meier's products. But if you have specific questions bout the Presonus, feel free to PM me.

I may also be putting mine back up for sale soon, had to put my previous ad on hold, since I was moving and then went abroad for about a month.

I don't know about how prices are now...but back when I bought it, it wasn't be out of the question to get the presonus for about $415-420 new (including shipping). If you don't like buying used, and need help with that later on, just throw a PM my way.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 22
I bought my CS at Guitar Center for $300 after a price match from NS&L. NS&L has changed their pricing strategy since then.

PreSonus Central Station.

For that price the CS is an incredible value. IMO the DAC and amp are both very good. Even at $500 it would be a great value.

I have not used either Meier amp mentioned so my input is merely pure hype for the CS.
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 22
that's one krazy price match. I didn't fare as well when I hit up GC. They said they couldnt match the price quote I brought in (and it wasnt anywhere near 300), but would throw in bout $50+ worth of cables to compensate.

Pretty much most of the presonus owners I know about, and have PM'ed many times, have replied here.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's one krazy price match. I didn't fare as well when I hit up GC. They said they couldnt match the price quote I brought in (and it wasnt anywhere near 300), but would throw in bout $50+ worth of cables to compensate.

Pretty much most of the presonus owners I know about, and have PM'ed many times, have replied here.

I'll have to find my receipt from GC to be sure. It's been a while and I'm getting old
frown.gif

What I did was get refunded $100 after I had read about the great price at NS&L. I received a price quote from NS&L in an email. I printed the email and showed it to the guy that I deal with at GC. We both knew that he didn't have to honor the "price match" but he hooked me up. His official reason was that NS&L is an authorized dealer. I had already spent $850 on headphones there so he took good care of me.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 22
One thing in regards to the CS. The headamps are pretty detailed and fairly flat in frequency presentation since they are first and foremost meant for studio monitoring. So keep in mind in regards to synergy with headphones. For example, I felt that the CS was not a good match for the K701s. I bet they would match well with Senn products but that is a guess since I have no Senn 'phones in my stable. Grados actually sound pretty good as do Beyer's line of hps. The Pro-750s sounded very good out of the CS.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my CS at Guitar Center for $300 after a price match from NS&L. NS&L has changed their pricing strategy since then.

PreSonus Central Station.

For that price the CS is an incredible value. IMO the DAC and amp are both very good. Even at $500 it would be a great value.

I have not used either Meier amp mentioned so my input is merely pure hype for the CS.
biggrin.gif

Me too! I think I ended up paying ~$390ish.. great deal from guitar center. I love my CS and don't think anyone can go wrong with it considering the quality of the dac and amp and not even counting the preamp. I just made some cables for it the other day, pics in the http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/diy.../index311.html
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too! I think I ended up paying ~$390ish.. great deal from guitar center. I love my CS and don't think anyone can go wrong with it considering the quality of the dac and amp and not even counting the preamp. I just made some cables for it the other day, pics in the http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/diy.../index311.html
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm guessing this is it:

1005331hj6.jpg

Nice work.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 22
Yep, that's it. Thanks GreatDane, it was a lot of fun to build.
beerchug.gif

I just checked my recepit and it was 387.59 +tax for the CS.

Matcha, I think the CS sounds great with HD650, I haven't had a chance to test it with the DT880 but I predict it would sound pretty good since they are high impedence like the Sens.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 22
No love for the Meier stuff.. I guess all the CS guys ganged up on the Cantate
deadhorse.gif

I love the Meier sound, and the look, especially. An excellent machine for the money, IMO.

-Nick
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 22
Between HD 650 & DT-880(250) I prefer the 650 with my CS. I have a stock 650 cable that has been converted to dual 1/4" TS for connection to the rear CUE output...this gives me 3 headphone outs!

I don't really like the 880 with my CS, I much prefer my tube amp. With my Darth Beyer the CS easily wins over tubes for me.

There once was a thread...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mei...tation-267814/

darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back