Can't wait to finally purchase. Final questions (Beyerdynamics, FiiOs, and Ohms)
Sep 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Yero

New Head-Fier
I've done a long research to come thinking that the bigger and more expensive headphones get the better headphones they are to ask these questions =)
So coming back after a long research, I am almost ready to get my first decent-audio listening set-up. All I need is figure this final questions.

80 Ohms vs 250 Ohms

1) How bad would it be if I play 250 Ohms directly from an iPhone 4 or a MacBook Pro? I'll get an amp too, but I do not plan to carry it with me a lot, I'll just keep for home. From what I heard it should be fine with a Mac, but will an iPhone be able to drive ok? 

2) When people say it won't be enough power to drive them, does that mean it won't go as loud, or is it that it is going to loose quality? I mean if a 250 Ohms will play as loud as the stock iPhone earphones with out any quality loss, it won't even be a question. Anyone has any experience with this?

FiiO E11 vs Fiio E17 vs DigiZoid ZO2

3) Does a DAC improve a noticeable amount of quality when listening with a laptop? Because if it doesn't I would knock out E17 for being bulky and not looking as cool as E11.

4) Also I watched this review that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_K7WXYlF8&feature=plcp and the guy talks about the purity and what ever this amp brings to the music. I am wondering if it is a specific feature of this amp because of that extra technology inside he is talking about? Because if E11/E17 do the same thing, I would cross it out too.

5) Will I be able to notice difference when playing music with a MacBook Pro (2011) + E17 anyways? I am not sure if it will matter, but most of my music is 320kpbs mp3s. Although I am starting to build a lossless library.

Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

6) I like DT880 PRO more for being a lower profile and better materials, but I am wondering if it is going to be a significant loss on bass and isolation if compared to DT 770 PRO. If it is something minor then I would get the DT 800 PRO. Any one has any experience with them?

I forgot to say that most of the time I do listen to the music with my phone. I usually don't listen to high volume when I am using headphones and it is mainly bass heavy music like hip-hop, trance, dub-step.

I'll greatly appreciate all inputs, because faster I figure this stuff out, faster I will be enjoying it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 46
dt880 is an open can, u will hear all the going-ons...vice versa.
that could affect your music enjoyment..esp when u are deeeep in trance-zzzzsnorrrzzzz.

If i have a choice i would definitely prefer a dac for added clarity...am using the dacportLX now..its great!
i dun have a problem powering a dt770/600 ohms with this baby.

but i would say, just do the headfone first, n see if u like the sound tats coming out of your macbook.
u can always get the dac later, either a few hours later or a few years later. :p
At the moment, i am just doing the ipad+headfone setup when i am out on the street.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 46
Quote:
but i would say, just do the headfone first, n see if u like the sound tats coming out of your macbook.
u can always get the dac later, either a few hours later or a few years later. :p

You are right. I should get the headphones first and then see what kind of amp I want. But a main concern is 250 Ohms vs iphone with no amp.

So the main question is still if an iphone will be able to power Beyerdynamics DT 770/880 PROs 250(!) Ohms with at least the volume of original iphone headphones and no significant quality loss I should I just go with 80 Ohms version just to be on a safe site?
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 46
I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm pretty sure you'll need an amp with a 250 ohm headphone, but don't quote me on that. If you get one of the Fiios. make sure to get the LOD wire so youre not connecting the amp throught the headphone jack.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:
I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm pretty sure you'll need an amp with a 250 ohm headphone, but don't quote me on that. If you get one of the Fiios. make sure to get the LOD wire so youre not connecting the amp throught the headphone jack.

I am planing on getting this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPOD-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOD-FOR-HEADPHONE-AMP-BEST-DEAL-/251042434262?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a734b8cd6

But I kind of like the idea of this http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=45&MenuID=020303
If I could find a short aux cable to go with it, but not over $30

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 46
80 ohm and 250 ohm running unamped, which one will sound better? im curious too
(im fine with it not getting loud, im a low level listener anyway)

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 46
Hey, i have a DT 990 PRO 250 Ohms. I'm currently using them with a e17 with a E09k and they work pretty well. If use them directly with any conventional output i have to put it almost on max volume and the sound feels kinda flat and not as good as with my amp/dac. I guess if you dont want to carry around a amp with you go and buy the 80 Ohms version that are easy to power and i think they will sound better that the higher ohms ones without an amp.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 46
alright thanks for the reply^^

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 46
Well, let's see...

1) You will BARELY hear anything out of an iPhone 4 or iPod if you try to drive a 250 Ohm headphone. It gets to about 20-25% the max volume that the headphone can make from my experience.

2) While power has to do with volume, it's usually more about supplying the headphones with enough voltage for the drivers to pump out music as they should. Lack of power will cause quality degradation. Typical symptoms include lacking bass, closed-in soundstage, less midrange details, etc... And yes, it is very noticeable when there is a lack of power... provided you have heard the headphones at their best.

3) If the laptop has a bad headphone out, then yes, DAC does improve a great deal. For MacBook specifically, the quality of the headphone out varies. But in general, I've found that a DAC will improve the sound quality... though whether your setup can "hear" the improvement is another matter altogether.

4) The Digizoid ZO has its own... "interesting" way to process music. It's more of a portable EQ than an amp. An amp should only increase volume and power output to headphones. It should not alter the sound of the source (DAC).

5) It depends on your ears, too. If you can't "hear" the difference, then leave it at that.

6) The DT880 Pro is a significant loss on bass and isolation compared to DT770 Pro. On the other hand, DT770 Pro is a significant loss in soundstage and instrument separation compared to DT880 Pro.

If you don't plan to lug that portable amp around too often, then I'd actually suggest that you look at other headphones. In fact, if you plan on just plugging the headphone directly into your iPhone 4, then... I think a pair of IEMs would give you better sound quality.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 46
I have the 880 250 ohm premiums and the FILO e7. On the iPhone and iPad, the max volume is bordering on sufficient for extended. Listening. The FILO e 7 is slightly louder. This is looked up the l9 or whatever that connects to charge output on the iPhone/iPad. The sound may be better wit the amp, but I am not sure if is is psychological or not. Whatever effect is there is subtle. I am considering getting the desktop amplifier FILO to go with this. I love this headphone by the way. It sounds great to me. Seems pretty neutral with good separation and soundstage. Love the treble. Versatile performer, sounds good in many genres.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:
I have the 880 250 ohm premiums and the FILO e7. On the iPhone and iPad, the max volume is bordering on sufficient for extended. Listening. The FILO e 7 is slightly louder. This is looked up the l9 or whatever that connects to charge output on the iPhone/iPad. The sound may be better wit the amp, but I am not sure if is is psychological or not. Whatever effect is there is subtle. I am considering getting the desktop amplifier FILO to go with this. I love this headphone by the way. It sounds great to me. Seems pretty neutral with good separation and soundstage. Love the treble. Versatile performer, sounds good in many genres.

Headphones like the 880 will scale up with better amps. While it's no slouch by any standard, I wouldn't say the E7 is sufficient for driving high impedance headphones. Even the E11 struggles somewhat with 250 Ohm IMO. You need... a lot more power to really see how much better your headphones can be.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

1) You will BARELY hear anything out of an iPhone 4 or iPod if you try to drive a 250 Ohm headphone. It gets to about 20-25% the max volume that the headphone can make from my experience.

So... If this is true, I wouldn't be able to hear anything with my 600ohm AKG K141s..? No, not true. I was able to reach a comfortable listening volume with the K141, but the volume was very high on the iPhone4. The main difference is even though it can still technically "power" the AKGs, it doesn't have enough current to power it stable. There is significant bass loss and it sounds like a completely different headphone. Like MalVeauX says, the difference between the 80, 250, and 600 ohm Beyers are insignificant to many users (I'm not quoting him. Just rephrasing what I read a while back. Please correct if incorrect Mal).

To OP, you will be able to obtain excellent answers from the user MalVeauX. Just shoot him a PM with your Q's

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Headphones like the 880 will scale up with better amps. While it's no slouch by any standard, I wouldn't say the E7 is sufficient for driving high impedance headphones. Even the E11 struggles somewhat with 250 Ohm IMO. You need... a lot more power to really see how much better your headphones can be.

The E11 "struggles"? I tried the Beyer DT990 250ohm with the Fiio E11 and I thought the two were very good together... Power isn't absolutely everything with these headphones... Power matters a lot with Orthos, but with dynamics with High Impedance, I find that anything that is rated to power 150-300ohms is sufficient for almost everything. Good example is my old Hifiman EF2A. They powered my 600ohm AKGs fine. Actually sounded very nice together

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 46
my dt 880s get to listening volume out of practically anything and I'm half deaf in conversations with people
not mindblowing volume, just enough to listen to with the dial at max

however, they have about 50% of their sound quality out of portable stuff vs at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back