Can't seem to find any solid state amps with balanced in/out & 1/4 out for $450
Apr 19, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arfett

Head-Fier
I've been looking for a few days now and even searching through posts in this forum and can't seem to find a solid state amp with the balanced ins and outs with an otpion for 1/4 out as well for $450 or less. Does such an amp exist?

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 9
You have to understand that a fully balanced amp really is two amps in one box. You'll save a little on the casing, but you need two of everything else, effectively doubling the price of the amp.

That's why cheap balanced amps are hard to find. Your best bet is to build two DIY amps, like the Dynalo or the CK2III, then bridge and balance them.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 9
I was just having a discussion with someone about this a couple of weeks ago. As long as you have a balanced source, you should be able to use 2 identical single-ended stereo amps and make your own balanced amp with XLR to dual RCA adapters for the inputs and 1/4" TRS to XLR adapters on the outputs.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 9
I think Uncle Eric is right at your price a DIY amp is your best option. I paid around 700 US for the balanced CKKIII amp from this forum which was one of the least expensive balanced amp I have seen other than the balanced mini^3 mentioned. I think there is an up coming balanced mini^3 build on Rockhopper Audio's site so you could check them out.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm pretty sure a balanced amp for $450 won't be the best amp you can get at that price point. It's not cheap to do balanced right.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 9
I think slypher's suggestion of a balanced CK2III is a good one. I can't remember what I paid for CK2III parts, but I don't think it was much over $100 or $150. The great thing about the CK2III is that each amp PCB has an onboard power supply. Just build two of them, add the proper pot and jacks, and you're good to go. They're not that big, either, so you'd have some options for casing.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 9
the LD is the bare minimum. It's not like it has a dual mono power supply, and it's opamp based.

This thread is like asking "Can't seem to find a Ferrari for $20,000".

I say, save for an audiogd Roc or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back