Can't Get Contacts In!!
Jun 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
Last week I went to get an eye exam and basically my eyes are getting worse and worse.( I am almost 100% positive it is because of my computer use, but doc says im just "growing" lol)

Anyways, as they brought the contacts out, I already knew I was going to have problems as I hate anything touching my eyes. I am able to get my eyes wide open easily. The problem is that when the contact touches my eye my top eyelid closes shut, even though I am holding them open.

I am suppose to go back tomorrow to give it a second shot. They advised that I try touching my eyes while keeping the top eyelid open as practice. Is there any advice for me or am I pretty much screwed? I need to be able to wear contacts because glasses aren't gonna fly for me under my motorcycle helmet.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 33
What brand of contacts did they give you to try? From my experience, Oasys are the most comfortable but somewhat more difficult to put on because they are very soft and slippery (partly why theyre so comfy).

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 33
Don't panic.

It takes a while to train your eyelids not to blink when you try to put something on your eyes. It's a reflex.

I used to be weirded out by stuff touching my eye, too. I could barely get a Visine eyedrop to fall on my eye correctly before. But now I wear contact lenses daily and have no trouble touching my eye. It just takes time and practice.

Also, make sure the fingertip that you are using to apply the contact lens is completely dry. If it's wet, the lens will stick to your finger and it won't even matter if you are able to keep your eyes open.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 33
I am actually having the same problems, every time I go back my prescription gets worse and worse.

It went from no astigmatism, to one in the left eye, and today I just got back and I have an astigmatism in both eyes and stronger prescription each time.

As for putting them in, you get used to it. Just use your thumb and index finer to peel the eyelids as far open as possible and go in for the kill! As soon as you touch it to your eye if you do it so the contact is touching your finger as little as possible the contact sucks to your eye, at least mine do.

Also, I have O2 Optix and i find them to be extremely comfortable

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 33
The first time I tried to put contacts in, it took me over 30 minutes and by that point my eye was blood red. It's been over a year, and I can put them in a few seconds easy.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 33
Try to get daily contacts... I swear by them. They're really comfortable and rarely get dislodged or fall out unless my eye is dry. You also don't have to worry about cleaning or losing them because they're daily use. I just take them out at night and pop them in the trash. They cost around a dollar a day for both eyes, so they're slightly more expensive than monthly or weekly contacts, but I think it's worth it.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 33
I went through the same thing when I switched to contacts. You can learn to touch your eyes without reacting. I wore contacts for about two years... but eventually went back to glasses. I never had an infection or any real problems, but I had to use drops every hour or two and spent 30-45 minutes a day cleaning them, putting them in, etc. Eventually, I got to grabbing the backup glasses off the nightstand more and more often.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 33
Be glad you can wear soft contacts. They're so much more comfortable than Rigid Gas Permeable (or hard for that matter, but barely anyone wears those anymore)

I used to wear soft, but I had a major allergic reaction to them after wearing them for a year (corneal ulcers on each eye)
I started wearing RGP contacts two years later, but I ended up stopping wearing those around January because I just got sick of them.. Soft contacts were so much better.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take the price tags off first.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I tried contacts several years ago and had trouble getting mine in. My wife, who has large dreamy eyes to begin with, was trying to show me how to put them in and I just couldn't. She is able to damn near toss them into her eye and do a couple blinks and they're good to go. By the time I did get mine in, my eye was red and sore. I went back to glasses...to hell with contacts.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 33
i think everyone who now wears contacts started out like you, its definitely not easy at first, keep trying and shortly it will be very natural... just takes time and practice

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by majikstreet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be glad you can wear soft contacts. They're so much more comfortable than Rigid Gas Permeable (or hard for that matter, but barely anyone wears those anymore)

I used to wear soft, but I had a major allergic reaction to them after wearing them for a year (corneal ulcers on each eye)
I started wearing RGP contacts two years later, but I ended up stopping wearing those around January because I just got sick of them.. Soft contacts were so much better.

I wear hard lens. I started with them 4-ish years ago. I tried soft lens a year or two ago, but I couldn't stand it. The only issue I have with hard lens is my eyes get dry from them, and my eyes get a bit red after wearing them for a long time.

Hard lens wins in my book. I can take them out wherever, whenever, and use water to clean them (or spit
smily_headphones1.gif
). They also end up being cheaper if you don't lose them, as they last for a really long time.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 33
Hang in there. It took me about a half hour the first time I tried it.

One thing to try: When you're putting them in, pretend like you're trying to look up at the sky so your eye won't actually see the contact coming. That may help your eye shutting response. Just think of it as trying to look at your brain and then pop it right in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back