Can't Get Contacts In!!
Jun 19, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #31 of 33
OP - you're not trying to touch your cornea/iris area, right? All you have to do is touch the white of your eye, which isn't very sensitive at all. If you're trying to touch your cornea or iris, I think you're doing it wrong and that's dangerous. If for some reason your eye doctor told you to (I doubt it), good luck, because I have been wearing contacts for four years and can insert/remove my contacts in a second or two but I don't think that I would be able to touch my cornea for the life of me. Don't do it.

Anyway, here's my suggestion. Wash your hands and leave one of your fingers wet. Start with trying to touch the corners of your eyeball. If you do it right, you should feel some smooth slimy thing but you won't feel much in your eye. Get used to it for a few minutes. Maybe do it while watching TV so you aren't so concentrated on it. Then, take your thumb and pointer finger and put them on the bottom and top of your eyelid respectively. Try your best to get your fingers to hold open your eyelid by getting as close as possible to where your eyelashes come out. You should be able to feel your eyelashes trapped between the skin of your eyelid and your fingers. Open your eyelid as wide as possible and look very far up. Take your free index finer and slowly slide it up from your bottom eyelid (maybe by the center where your thumb is holding it open) and you should eventually feel with your finger your eyeball. It won't hurt at all and you won't damage anything. Good luck!

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #32 of 33
No, I'm just touching the white part. I'll try all of the recommendations given here tomorrow. I went today, earlier then scheduled as a walk in and they ended up being pretty busy. So I rescheduled for tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Place lens on index finger
2. Fill lens with one drop of saline solution
3. With same hand, apply middle finger to space in between bottom eyelid and cheek.
4. Look down at lens
5. With other hand, use middle finger to hold up the upper eyelid by pressing eyelashes.
6. Insert lens and blink. The drop of saline in the lens will make this a much more comfortable experience.

This is what I do as well, only I place the lens on my middle finger, and use my index and third fingers to hold open my eye, to make for one-handed operation.

Once, whlie visiting my family, I'd forgotten to bring saline solution. No problem, I figure my father wears contacts and I'll just borrow some of that. Turns out he'd just gotten bifocals and quit wearing contacts...saline hard to find. But success! I found a bottle under the sink, in the back! Hmm...odd, it has a bright red tip, never seen that before...IT BURNS! YAAAGH! IT BURNS! DOH! That was enzymatic cleaner with the red tip!

Needless to say, I wore glasses that day...

Moral of the story: be careful what you put in your eyes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back