Can't decide on Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or 990 Pro for PC gaming. HELP?
Mar 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 22
Also, I know the AKG Q701 is notorious for needing a burn in time and I have actually noticed this myself.  Does anyone know if the DT990 pro will change much after burn in? Just curious, I have not seen as many claims that burn in will change the way they sound.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #19 of 22
Okay, I have been doing my tests between the DT990 Pro vs the AKG Q701. To be honest I am kinda liking the AKGs a little more than the dt990s. I have been burning my AKGs in, and they seem to have opened up a bit more. The bass is actually comparable to the DT990s and I am actually preferring the slightly tighter, natural bass vs the slightly exaggerated bass of the DT990. 

In gaming, a lot of games have an ambient noise to the environment, and I find myself wanting to turn the bass down on the DT990s because the ambient noise has a little to much bass dominance.  I also confirmed that the treble was a little softer on the DT990s.  This can be good in some situations if you are sensitive to higher frequencies, but I still (overall), seem to prefer the Q701 in this regard. 

I preferred  the Q701 while playing Max Payne 3, mainly because Max's narrative sounded better.  Max has a deep voice and the DT990s had a little too much bass making his voice seem weird to me in comparison to the Q701s. 

In addition, I seem to like the straight cord of the Q701 vs the coiled cord of the Dt990.  The coiled cord is a little bit heavier in weight so if it is hanging it can pull a little on the headphone.  Plus, the AKG has removable cords and came with 2 cords - 10 ft. and 20ft.

I do find the DT990 to be slightly more comfortable with the soft headband pad vs the leather bumps on the Q701. Also, and the DT990's velour ear pads are a little softer and more comfy. I found the Q701 ear pads to be a little itchy after wearing for longer periods of time.  

All in all, I have not completely made up my mind yet.  Right now I am leaning towards my Q701 for overall sound. But, I am in the process of trying to burn in my DT990 to see if anything changes in its sound signature.  I got my Q701 for $160 bucks "used"  from Amazon Warehouse Deals-  which is a pretty good deal vs the $189 I paid for the DT990.  So there is another check mark for the Q701.

I will continue my testing and burn-in of both headphones, and update everyone interested as to what my final thoughts are. 

To be honest I am kinda considering checking out the - Superlux HD668B - or the - Samson SR850 -  just to compare and see if a $50 headphone can compete with these $200 - $300 headphones like many of the reviews say.  Anyone have any thoughts on those two headphones?

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #20 of 22
My DT880 Premium 250-Ohms are arriving on tuesday so I'll let you know my thoughts on these with gaming. I was stuck on the 880 or 990's as well but decided on a semi-closed so I wouldn't annoy the mrs with my blasting music/noise, plus I attend LAN Parties quite often and would like to be able to hear people slightly though my headphones rather than being deaf to the world. :)

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #21 of 22
The DT 990 is also well made.

Don't forget that the headband of the DT 990 is made of metal which make it extremely durable thus last longer.

I personally owned the DT 990 PRO 250 and they are extremely amazing and comfortable. It just feel very well built if you know what I mean.

The Q701 feel cheap and it feel like it will break so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back