Can't decide on Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro or 990 Pro for PC gaming. HELP?
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Povell42

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone used both of these headphones for gaming?  I am trying to find the best gaming headphones and I think I have boiled it down to these two. 

I have a "Sound Blaster Z" PC sound card that can supposedly drive 600 ohms.  I currently have the AKG Q701 and I am mixed about how i feel about  them for gaming. I also have tried the AD-700 but found the lack of base to only compliment competitive FPS games. I have read other forums about how many prefer the 880 pros for gaming saying it gives a solid base but has an excellent sound stage as well (best of both worlds).  I am looking for the best overall gaming headphones - not just FPS (which is why i don't want the AD700)

I have not found a forum that has fully answered my questions about the 880 pro and 990 pro in comparison for gaming.  Which has a better sound stage?  I know the 990s have a V shape sound with a stronger base and louder highs.  But will that take away from sound stage?  If anyone has used both of these HP, or has knowledge as to which may be better for a gaming experience, please help me decide - it would be much appreciated.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 22
The DT 990's have a bigger sound stage between the two.  You're description of the 990's are pretty much spot on though I don't believe the emphasis on bass and treble take away from the sound stage at all.  The DT 880's are semi-open headphones and thus their sound stage is a bit smaller.  They're a little on the neutral side but if you want a more balanced sound, go for the 880's.

Personally, I'd go for the 990's myself.  I like the boomy bass and treble for immersion in movies and games.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 22
Just to make sure, you are referring to the Pro 250 ohm versions - correct?

the 990s are cheaper on Amazon, which is a plus. My only concern with the 990 is I am kinda sensitive to the high treble i think.  The AKG Q701, while clear, sometimes over due the treble and sound too high for me.  I am hoping that the 990s - with there increase in bass - help counteract the highs and make it sound overall better without fatiguing my ear too much? 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 22
Also, you are sure the 990s have a larger sound-stage?  I read on some forums that the 880's had the best sound-stage.  I know just because someone types it in a forum does not make it true, but it has confused me a bit.  There seems to be a lack of comparisons - in regards to gaming sound - between the two on the web.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 22
I just ordered the DT990s off of Amazon and paid the extra postage to have them delivered tomorrow (Saturday).  Please any one else feel free to post your opinion as I can still return or purchase the DT880.  I just thought I would try the DT990 first to see how I like them compared to my AKG-Q701. 

I will post on here my impressions after I test them out. Seriously, I hate it when people say that they will post there impression and then vanish leaving us readers hanging with not conclusion. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
I just ordered the DT990s off of Amazon and paid the extra postage to have them delivered tomorrow (Saturday).  Please any one else feel free to post your opinion as I can still return or purchase the DT880.  I just thought I would try the DT990 first to see how I like them compared to my AKG-Q701. 

I will post on here my impressions after I test them out. Seriously, I hate it when people say that they will post there impression and then vanish leaving us readers hanging with not conclusion. 

Congrats on your purchase! Did you get the Pro version or the Premium? Looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

I used to have the 990 Pro myself and for immersion gaming (I guess competitive too but I don't play much at all) and blu ray movies these headphones I feel are out of this world! I seriously do not think you can beat them at that price point for those purposes and I reckon any headphone would have a job on it's hands. Everything just sounds so open and clear and yet because of the bass and treble you can hear the background clearly as well as the main dialogue but the separation is so good and clear that it just sucks you right in! 

I enjoyed them for music too but I listen to a lot of red hot chili peppers and the prodigy etc so as you can imagine the bass and treble probably helps in that regard too for my music tastes. But immersion gaming and movies is where it's at for the DT 990 Pro I don't think it gets any better! 

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Also, you are sure the 990s have a larger sound-stage?  I read on some forums that the 880's had the best sound-stage.  I know just because someone types it in a forum does not make it true, but it has confused me a bit.  There seems to be a lack of comparisons - in regards to gaming sound - between the two on the web.

The 990's are open and the 880's are a semi-open, thus the larger sound stage.  It's not a whole lot more, but noticeable.  They're not too different from each other, both are equally great for gaming.  It's a matter of what your personal sound preferences are.  That and the 990 Pro's are cheaper.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Personally I owned an 880, but honestly, i would go for PC 360 for gaming as 880 doesnt come with a mic.

Mic is not a big deal, you can buy a separate one such as the Ant lion. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
Personally I owned an 880, but honestly, i would go for PC 360 for gaming as 880 doesnt come with a mic.

that doesn't bother me.  I have a zalem mic that sounds great.  I rather go for a performance headphone rather than a headset. I have heard good reviews about he pc360. But it doesn't seem to attract me all that much.  Plus the 990 pro is cheaper.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Congrats on your purchase! Did you get the Pro version or the Premium? Looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

I used to have the 990 Pro myself and for immersion gaming (I guess competitive too but I don't play much at all) and blu ray movies these headphones I feel are out of this world! I seriously do not think you can beat them at that price point for those purposes and I reckon any headphone would have a job on it's hands. Everything just sounds so open and clear and yet because of the bass and treble you can hear the background clearly as well as the main dialogue but the separation is so good and clear that it just sucks you right in! 

I enjoyed them for music too but I listen to a lot of red hot chili peppers and the prodigy etc so as you can imagine the bass and treble probably helps in that regard too for my music tastes. But immersion gaming and movies is where it's at for the DT 990 Pro I don't think it gets any better!

So, Thommohawk, what set-up did you use to watch blurays? 

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 22
Also, anyone have suggestions on a good amp paring with the 990 Pro? I have good set up to use these on my PC, but for iPod or any listening done away from PC I will want a nice complimentary amp.  Portable or desktop suggestions, anyone using these cans impressed with a certain amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back