Can't decide between the Grado RS2e and PS500e
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thegen

Head-Fier
I liked the Grado SR325e alot, but I want to move up the Grado line and thought I'd try the RS2e or the PS500e. But can't really decide which to get. I've read pretty much everything I was able to google about these two and the reviews are pretty much alike. Some like the RS2, while others don't. Same thing with the PS500e.

I can't say I think the SR325e's are too bright, sure they're bright but not too bright for me. One thing that left me wishing for more was the lows. The bass is great, nice punch but could have been alittle more present. Except for that the SR325e were great. And if either the RS2e or PS500e offer just a little bit of everything a little better. I'm in heaven.

Some say PS500e is lacking bass, some say it has more of it than the RS2e. Ideally I'd try both at a local shop, but I have none to go to where I live.

My taste for music is not cut in stone, as I like pretty much anything that is well recorded. I do not listen to RnB though. I like Hans Zimmer, a few Clapton songs but usually end up with Zimmer.

I get the PS500e for the same price as RS2e. Which is my pick?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 21
Or I could go with the RS1e for around 50$ more than the PS500e, which are 50$ more than the RS2e. Though the PS500e seems to be my cup of tea even though I love the woodie look on the RS series. But for the money I'm putting into these I don't want to feel dissapointed on the lows.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 21
Or I could go with the RS1e for around 50$ more than the PS500e, which are 50$ more than the RS2e. Though the PS500e seems to be my cup of tea even though I love the woodie look on the RS series. But for the money I'm putting into these I don't want to feel dissapointed on the lows.
i am still using grado ms1 and i really love it

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 21
I have all the headphones you've mentioned but I can think of someone who knows Grado much better to answer your question, especially since you know exactly what you want out of the upgrade (bass). Just check this huge comparison thread. I don't think it mentioned 500e, but it has 500, and probably everything Grado has ever put out.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...ur-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

Also go and ask in the Grado Fan Club thread, though you may end up purchasing something much more expensive lol.

For me I think 500e is like a logical upgrade to 325e while 2e has a slightly different sound character. When I upgrade from 325e to 500e I loved them instantly; but when I bought 2e it did took some time to get used to, but eventually loved them equally. And from what I've heard many Grado fans say 2e is one of the best from the e series.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 21
Why change? I've owned all of the Grados from the RS-1 down and never understood why people don't stick with the SR-60/80. They all sound terrible for what you pay and are horribly uncomfortable. Save your money and get something, anything, else.

Why are you sticking with Grado? They are the most antiquated line of headphones to date. Poor quality control, terrible measurements, virtually no improvements in over 10 years.

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 21
I have all the headphones you've mentioned but I can think of someone who knows Grado much better to answer your question, especially since you know exactly what you want out of the upgrade (bass). Just check this huge comparison thread. I don't think it mentioned 500e, but it has 500, and probably everything Grado has ever put out.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...ur-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

Also go and ask in the Grado Fan Club thread, though you may end up purchasing something much more expensive lol.

For me I think 500e is like a logical upgrade to 325e while 2e has a slightly different sound character. When I upgrade from 325e to 500e I loved them instantly; but when I bought 2e it did took some time to get used to, but eventually loved them equally. And from what I've heard many Grado fans say 2e is one of the best from the e series.

Judging by the comparisons in that link the RS2 seems to be the best Grado cans. However I am still more keen on getting the PS500's. How would you describe the bass difference between 325 and PS500?

Jan 1, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 21
Judging by the comparisons in that link the RS2 seems to be the best Grado cans. However I am still more keen on getting the PS500's. How would you describe the bass difference between 325 and PS500?

I've never heard the RS2e, but have owned or extensively demoed the RS1i, GH2, PS500, and SR325e. I can confidently say that the PS500 is my least favorite of the lot. They lose a lot of the forwardness in the mids and treble that make the rest of the grado lineup enjoyable to me. They're the most lifeless and least musical of the four; and to be honest, in my opinion the ps500 doesn't really do bass any better than other high end models, especially the GH2. I would rate them personally as GH2 > RS1 > SR325e > PS500, with the GH2 and RS1 being very close.

Of course opinions vary and all of that.

Jan 1, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 21
You can get a pair of GH2 used for the same price/less price as the PS500/RS2e. Like Gnomeplay above me, the GH2 is one of the best Grado pairs in the mid $500 range. The low end is excellent when comparing to the other Grados and the highs aren't too bright. In my opinion of course.

Jan 1, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 21
I suggest you at least look at the measurements of the Grados you want to "upgrade" to so you don't end up throwing away money at something that ends up so similar to what you have you end up disappointed. The PS500 sounds bassier because it lacks some of the treble peaks which adds the appearance of more bass. There really isn't more bass at all.

Jan 1, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 21
I've owned 125, 325, RS1 and PS500 (all old versions).

I think it really depends on your preference. The sound signature of the PS500 was my favorite, being a bit more neutral and tame of the bunch, with the most detail. The RS1 were perhaps a bit more realistic and involving on some organic / acoustic music, but I listen to too wide a range of music to be satisfied with that. If acoustic was the core of most of what I listened to, I'd likely go for the RS2/1 or try the GH1 as suggested. If a wider range of music with neutral signature for long listening sessions was the main application, then PS line for sure.

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 21
I've owned 125, 325, RS1 and PS500 (all old versions).

I think it really depends on your preference. The sound signature of the PS500 was my favorite, being a bit more neutral and tame of the bunch, with the most detail. The RS1 were perhaps a bit more realistic and involving on some organic / acoustic music, but I listen to too wide a range of music to be satisfied with that. If acoustic was the core of most of what I listened to, I'd likely go for the RS2/1 or try the GH1 as suggested. If a wider range of music with neutral signature for long listening sessions was the main application, then PS line for sure.

I will agree that matter of preference is paramount here, however I cannot get behind the PS500 sounding more detailed than the RS1. The lack of treble in the PS500 compared to the accented treble in the RS1 makes me feel like the RS1 barrages you with detail in comparison.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 21
I've only heard the e versions, and I don't feel 500e has significant differences in bass with 325e. To me the most significant differences are the bigger soundstage, better positioning, and less forward sounding. I actually like it better than 325e. But if bass is your only concern, then I'm afraid 500e may not provide the upgrade you wish for.

And I agree with other folks here that GH2 is a very good headphone and has serious bass. Out of all the e series up to 1e, it definitely has most bass. But it's also the most deviated from the Grado house sound so it may take some getting used to if you're too familiar with your 325e. It took me a few weeks to start appreciate the warmer and more full bodied sound.

But I must say if you listen to a lot movie soundtracks, why stick to Grado? Try something like HD650 or some planar and see if you like it.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 21
The GH's are not available in my country and it'll be rather expensive ordering these from the US. So I went ahead and ordered the PS500e's due to all positive reviews and what not. I've had a listen to some Sennheisers, not the 650 but others and even had a pair of Momentums if they count. Fine sounding headphones for sure, but no other headphone has been a thrill to listen to but the Grado 325's. I wish I had given Grado a chance several years ago but back then I hated to look of the Grado headphones. Today I kind of appreciate the old, not perfectly built look of them.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 21
The GH's are not available in my country and it'll be rather expensive ordering these from the US. So I went ahead and ordered the PS500e's due to all positive reviews and what not. I've had a listen to some Sennheisers, not the 650 but others and even had a pair of Momentums if they count. Fine sounding headphones for sure, but no other headphone has been a thrill to listen to but the Grado 325's. I wish I had given Grado a chance several years ago but back then I hated to look of the Grado headphones. Today I kind of appreciate the old, not perfectly built look of them.

Let us know what you think when you get them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back