Cans vs IEMs
Oct 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

falul

New Head-Fier
It's my first steps in to the audiophile's world. after few days in this amazing website I just bought Fiio X5ii.

I need some advice about phones that will make me happy with the player. I listen mainly to Classic, Jazz, Acoustic ,and Progressive Rock....
so it has to be versatile & accurate.

I am wondering what is better, should I spend <150$ on closed cans or on IEMs as I need them to be portable and comfort on the go.

What you would do?

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 24
Get a iem instead because they are more portable. You should have saved the money and went for x1 or x3 and use the money to buy a better iem because x1 x3 and x5 sounds about the same and the difference is tiny.

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 24
Tnx It's interesting that you are saying that x1?? anyway I decided on the X5 2nd after I found it in a good price.

After reading for the last few days about closed headphones
I found the Beyer Dynamics DT 660 very recommended for Classical but got a lot of complaints over build quality, ears are getting warm and some wrote they are not comfortable at all.
another option is the TH-A700X but they are huge and not portable at all.

Do you have any ideas for IEM / closed specific models ?
Comfortable+portable+great sound <$150

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 24

I am wondering what is better, should I spend <150$ on closed cans or on IEMs as I need them to be portable and comfort on the go.

If it needs to be portable there's no contest really, IEMs are the way to go. They're smaller and can be stuffed in your bag or on a small pouch in your pocket or clipped to your belt when not in use, and they seal off your ear canals better as long as it's one of the better designs.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 24
Tnx It's interesting that you are saying that x1?? anyway I decided on the X5 2nd after I found it in a good price.

I found the Beyer Dynamics DT 660 very recommended for Classical but got a lot of complaints over build quality, ears are getting warm and some wrote they are not comfortable at all.

Dunu dn 1000

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 24
The RHA ma750 is a good all-rounder under $150. Other than an incredibly long and necessary burn-in, I got nothing but love for them. Great sub-bass and detail, mid-bass could use a bit of a bump and the miss are slightly recessed but that isn't really a complaint, just a preference. Wrap that up in a super sturdy, stainless steel package and top it with a three year warranty too.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 24
The RHA ma750 is a good all-rounder under $150. Other than an incredibly long and necessary burn-in, I got nothing but love for them. Great sub-bass and detail, mid-bass could use a bit of a bump and the miss are slightly recessed but that isn't really a complaint, just a preference. Wrap that up in a super sturdy, stainless steel package and top it with a three year warranty too.

Thanks
Do they beat the VSONIC GR07 or HIFIMAN RE-400  for you opinion?

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 24
The Hifiman Re 400 are fantastic, but the cabling can be fragile, it seems to be kinked at the factory and as it straightens it can pop out of the covering. So sound quality is unbelievable, but find someone to recalled them to ensure longevity.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 24

Just about all circumaural(around the ears) closed headphones will likely make your ears overheat. They also tend to have poor a soundstage, which is why most people listen to classical music on open headphones. Balanced armature IEMs tend to sound very nice with classical music. IEMs with just a single BA driver in each though don't give as much bass as many want for rock music. BA drivers though give very nice midrange detail, which is what is important for classical music. There are IEMs with two or more BA drivers in each, and some that also have a dynamic driver to put more power behind the bass.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 24

Thanks
Do they beat the VSONIC GR07 or HIFIMAN RE-400  for you opinion?

Many love the RE400 sound sound, however several have posted that their RE400 didn't last so long. apparently they break much too easily. I was thinking about buying the RE400 based on the great reviews of its sound quality, until I read a few reviews mentioning that their RE400 broke after just a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back