Cans too Good?
May 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fihidelity

100+ Head-Fier
Hi chaps, I am just starting to save for a new pair of headphones. Initially I was thinking of going for the HD650s but having heard the HD700s for the first time today with the HDVD800 I'm thinking I might sink a bit more money and go for HD700, HE500 or TH600 for example. My current set up comprises a Schiit Magni and an E-DAC(basically ODAC) and I was just wondering if the headphones might be considered 'too good' for my DAC and amp. Would I be disappointed having only heard the HD700s with Sennheiser's amp when I made the step down to the Magni?

TL;DR - Is there some sort of DAC/Amp:Headphone price ratio you should abide by? Is there a level of headphones at which point you'd consider them too good to use with the Magni for normal listening?

May 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Many listeners out there value the sound from the HD-650 over the HD-700.  For the money the HE-500 is probably one of the best headphones in its class.

May 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 11
In the UK the HE500s are £700 but the HD700s can be had for £600. My local headphone shop said they'd try and get some HD650s in so I'll be able to compare soon.

if I could import the HE500s from somewhere for ~£500, would that be worth it over the HD650s? I hear the HiFiMANs are uncomfortably sibilant.

In what areas are the H650s and 700s considered better than one another. I really enjoyed listening to the HD700s yesterday but I only got a chance to listen with rock. In terms of my setup, do you think any of the aforementioned headphones would be considered too good for it?

Thanks for the response!

May 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 11
I don't but I've heard it on my cheap dac amp, It still sounds better than most lower tiered headphones. So I'd suggest to just buy the headphone, enjoy it and upgrade your dac amp later when you're able to.

I think I'll compare the HD650 and 700 and see if they're worth the money. I'll also try and listen to some HE500s, BDs and Grados before I make a decision.

May 16, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 11
I've had experience with the HD650 before, and I've heard many a person praise the Magni-650 combo, from a technical standpoint the Magni is more than capable of powering the 650, and not to mention the scaling of the 650, you can always upgrade the amp later down the road. I used to run the 650s out of a really cheap crappy amp, and they still sounded remarkable, you'll be fine. 

If I can recommend you some alternatives a little easier on the wallet, maybe check the For Sale section for second hand cans, they're all mostly in good condition and MOST people there are nice and good to deal with.... Almost all my gear is second hand actually, really helps to save some costs if you're looking to get higher end gear on a budget.

Oh and some other cans I'd recommend would be the ATH-W1000x, and MadDogsT50rp, they both share similar sound signatures with the HD650 and for a lower cost, so maybe they'd be some good alternatives for you. Hope this helps!

May 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I've had experience with the HD650 before, and I've heard many a person praise the Magni-650 combo, from a technical standpoint the Magni is more than capable of powering the 650, and not to mention the scaling of the 650, you can always upgrade the amp later down the road. I used to run the 650s out of a really cheap crappy amp, and they still sounded remarkable, you'll be fine. 

If I can recommend you some alternatives a little easier on the wallet, maybe check the For Sale section for second hand cans, they're all mostly in good condition and MOST people there are nice and good to deal with.... Almost all my gear is second hand actually, really helps to save some costs if you're looking to get higher end gear on a budget.

Oh and some other cans I'd recommend would be the ATH-W1000x, and MadDogsT50rp, they both share similar sound signatures with the HD650 and for a lower cost, so maybe they'd be some good alternatives for you. Hope this helps!

I think I'm going to end up going for the HD650s but I'm going to try and get to use them first with my Magni and E-DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back