cans to complement ATH-W1000X?
Apr 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

michnix

Head-Fier
Hello!

Which headphones would you recommend to complement ATH-W1000X ?

My amp is a Trafomatic Head One.

HE-500?
HE-400?
or something else altogether?

thanks for your help!

dave

May 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 9
how shall I put it?

If you have headphones that are the "opposite" sound-wise so you can switch between them, depending on the recording, music or source.

My digital source is a Cambridge Azur 840c with a separate new class A analogue section that is sounding a little darker, maybe a little forgiving, if you will.
My analogue source is a Van Del Hul Colibri on a Pass Labs XONO which is very fast, highly detailed and slightly on the bright side.
So, depending on the recording of course, a slightly forward, faster presentation would suit good, while others would benefit from a more laid back presentation.

May 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 9
Heya,

Well, as far as I know, the W1000X have beautiful forward mids, non-fatiguing highs and present bass (although not slamming). You can definitely then go with something darker such as Sennheiser HD600s, Audeze LCD2s or HiFiman HE500s. Do you have a preference for open or closed? Also, what's your budget like? You can also experiment with other signatures (i.e. TH900/600 U-shape, go V-shape, or something dark-ish but with Bass Slam such as the Ultrasone Signature Pros.).

Very best,

May 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 9
In my experience, the HD 650 was a good counterpart to the W1000X.

The W1000X has a vivacious sound signature, so I would look for a more laid-back or perhaps even neutral headphone depending on what you're looking for in the complement.

Also, try aftermarket pads for your W1000X.

May 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 9
thanks for the tip about the pads! any recommendations?

price-wise about the same as the W1000X or HE-500

no preferences about open or closed. a little more laid back would probably not hurt, yes, but it should not dampen or smooth over the highly detailed presentation of my vinyl rig. Just take away some of the edge or slight harshness that can occur with not quite so good recordings in combination with a very detailed source.

May 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
thanks for the tip about the pads! any recommendations?

I have read about people using the following pads with them:
HP-L3000 (most popular, ~$100)
HP-W3000ANV (~$100, less thick than above)
Stax SR-007 O2 ($120-160, depending on brown Mk1 vs. black Mk2 versions)
Audeze LCD-2 ($75)
J-Money Beyerdynamic (~$50-60)

My impressions are that the stock pads do not provide a sufficient seal and introduce a premature bass rolloff (dropping off below 80-100Hz) and potential stridency in the upper mids and lower treble.

I have only had experience with the J$ Beyer pads but my experience is that they smoothed out the midrange/treble peaks, enhanced the soundstage (the J$ pads are very thick), and greatly enhanced the bass response (easily audible down to 20Hz). If you feel the bass on the W1000X with the stock pads is just right or sufficient, there is a chance the J$ Beyer pads would provide too much bass. I have not tried the other pads mentioned, but there are quite a few impressions on them in the W1000X appreciation threads.

The general consensus is that the stock pads are terrible and need to be replaced in order to unleash their full potential.

Versus the HD 650, the Sennheiser provides a more intimate sound field presentation with thicker mids, less prominent treble and a darker presentation. The W1000X is very lively and the HD 650 is very relaxing. While resolution between the two is similar with perhaps a slight edge to the W1000X, the Sennheiser's smoothness tends to blunt out things a little more. Both have their own voice and own magic.

May 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 9
appreciate your help, thanks!

I see some possible difficulties with those jmoney pads you mention. my head is very big and I suspect reaching the limit of the cans' stretching point with extra thick pads...

BTW how and where can you order/have a look at those jmoney pads? I can't find any website/shop...

May 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
appreciate your help, thanks!

I see some possible difficulties with those jmoney pads you mention. my head is very big and I suspect reaching the limit of the cans' stretching point with extra thick pads...

BTW how and where can you order/have a look at those jmoney pads? I can't find any website/shop...

The good thing about the J$ pads is that, while deep when not worn, they are soft and compress readily. In my case they compress down to a perfect fit.

Jeremy of J-Money closed up shop sometime last year, so the only way to acquire them is second-hand. I've seen them go from $45-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back