Cans/IEMs for recording/listening at work
Jul 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

umermajeed

Head-Fier
I have been thinking of buying new headphones/IEMs for a couple of weeks. I currently have JVC FX700 and I used Earsonics SM3 before these. I like the bass on FX700 and they perform very well with house/trance type stuff but they are bit lacking when I play classic rock/metal on them. SM3 on the other hand were very consistent across genres and although I think they were a little lacking on bass, I loved the crispness of the sound. It was bright and lively. I would love something with sound signature which is a mixture of both if such a thing exists.

I'd be selling my FX700 and adding some money to that so my budget is around $400-450. The additional use that I am going to put these to is plugging them into my guitar amp when I don't want people around me disturbed. Or use them when I am recording something. So I thought of getting full-size cans as they might be better(?) but I am still gonna need IEMs for when I am at work. This might end up being very expensive but I read the reviews for Audio Technica M50 and they seem to be a good cheap option. Although, I don't know how good they'll be for monitoring/recording type work. Then it leaves me around 300 for IEMs. What can I get for $300?

Or I can use the full budget go down the custom IEM route. I can then use that for both listening to music and plugging in to my guitar to record and stuff. Its just gonna be a line in to the PC from the guitar (recording to Guitar rig or something) and line out from PC to my monitors.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 2
For rock/classical music I'd reccomend the westone um3x. They sound pretty accurate. And for cans I'd recommend one of the AKG headphones because they are extremely neutral so they are accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back