Cans for under $250 for people especially sensitive to treble?
May 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
What are the best-sounding all-rounder cans for people who are especially sensitive to highs/trebles and partial to a warm, smooth sound signature?

And when I say all-rounder, I mean this in terms of sound quality and the fact that the person listens to pretty much any type of music: Metal, Folk, Electronic, etc, etc, etc...

May 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 26
lastdodbird, I, too, am sensitive to treble, so I know what you mean. You have no gear listed in your profile, so question: what's the rest of your audio chain, current and/or planned. It will help with recommendations.

May 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 26
Oh, hell yeah, brother: HD-600... that's your can, for sure!

I'm particularly sensitive to treble because of my tinnitus, and this was precisely why I switched from DT-880 to my HD-600, and I couldn't be happier. Even though I'm running them through a solid state amp, they are very smooth, yet detailed, on the top end.

And for the record, I listen to folk more than most other types of music, and this can is phenomenal for folk music!

/HD-600 fanboy gushing

May 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the best-sounding all-rounder cans for people who are especially sensitive to highs/trebles and partial to a warm, smooth sound signature?

And when I say all-rounder, I mean this in terms of sound quality and the fact that the person listens to pretty much any type of music: Metal, Folk, Electronic, etc, etc, etc...

Ortho/electro.

May 10, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 26
I have a slight sensitivity to treble. I go weeks without listening to my HD280PRO because of that, and usually stick with my HD555 or HD580. I would recommend the HD580 or 600 as well, very warm headphones.

May 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lastdodbird, I, too, am sensitive to treble, so I know what you mean. You have no gear listed in your profile, so question: what's the rest of your audio chain, current and/or planned. It will help with recommendations.

sig'ed
happy_face1.gif

May 10, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, hell yeah, brother: HD-600... that's your can, for sure!

I'm particularly sensitive to treble because of my tinnitus, and this was precisely why I switched from DT-880 to my HD-600, and I couldn't be happier. Even though I'm running them through a solid state amp, they are very smooth, yet detailed, on the top end.

And for the record, I listen to folk more than most other types of music, and this can is phenomenal for folk music!

The HD600s are what I consider my "workhorse" can. They, along with the 650s, are wonderful with treble sensitivities, and excellent for much of the music you listen to. They won't have the speed you'll want for metal unless using a kick-arse amp, but the 600s will do better with a variety of amps than the 650s do.

So....amp?....no amp? Also, I'm assuming you're looking only at fullsize cans. True?

May 10, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 26
+1 to everyone who said HD600. I like a little more brightness, and have to EQ up from about 3k, esp. around 10-14k for them to start to be really enjoyable. So yeah, they can definitely be muted in the higher frequencies. You'll need a better amp though.

On your budget, the PX100s are pretty smooth and might be worth considering. They're not full-size cans, but they have a lot of that "sennheiser sound" without excessive highs. And you won't need an amp.
smile_phones.gif

May 10, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sig'ed
happy_face1.gif

oooops. I'm old and can't read small print.
tongue.gif

Is the $250 for headphones only, or is that your current total budget?

May 10, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 26
Hmmm...cans that handle treble well (not excessive). Try Sennheiser 580, 595, 600. You won't have to amp the 595's. I have a pair and they are well balanced and fizzy treble isn't an issue. Also consider AKG 271s for a good closed pair of cans. Good luck.

Cheers,

Allan

May 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On your budget, the PX100s are pretty smooth and might be worth considering. They're not full-size cans, but they have a lot of that "sennheiser sound" without excessive highs. And you won't need an amp.
smile_phones.gif

Actually, I've already come from the PX100's
biggrin.gif
I totally agree that if I were a complete newbie, these would be great for what I'm looking for. However, I've quite outgrown the PX100's and the bass for me sounds too muddy already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the $250 for headphones only, or is that your current total budget?

Headphones only
L3000.gif
Not looking to upgrade or add to other parts of the chain.

May 10, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 26
580s are great if you can get it, but you're going to need more than a fiio e3 to drive them. If you can pick up used 580s you can afford an amp upgrade, even if you have to save for a little bit longer and scout for a good used bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back