Cans for under $250 for people especially sensitive to treble?
May 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 26
For closed phones, I strongly recommend the Beyer DT-250-250's. Tough to beat - the 80-ohm models are an option too, but most devices that drive them drive the 250's acceptably.

May 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #17 of 26
One more vote for the HD600. I got my pair on Friday. I'm fairly treble sensitive, and these cans haven't caused me any problems.

May 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For closed phones, I strongly recommend the Beyer DT-250-250's. Tough to beat - the 80-ohm models are an option too, but most devices that drive them drive the 250's acceptably.

I also strongly recommend the DT250. The Sennheisers (580, 600, 650) will require an amp so dont get thouse unless you plan to get a good dedicated amplifier in the near future, adding another couple hundred to your budget. The DT250 80 ohm does not need an amp but will improve with one though. As for the HD555, it is ok but I enjoy the DT250 more. Cant comment on the HD595 but ive read they can be harsh at times.

May 10, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheisers (580, 600, 650) will require an amp so dont get thouse unless you plan to get a good dedicated amplifier in the near future, adding another couple hundred to your budget.

I'm not sure why I keep reading this. I've tried the 600 straight from my Fuze and, although it doesn't sound as through a dedicated amplifier, it doesn't by any means sound bad.

I still stand by my recommendation of the 600. It will provide a large immediate improvement, even straight from the laptop or E3, and will only get better later on down the road when the OP can afford a good dedicated amp.

May 10, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #20 of 26
3 x DT250/250. I can't say enough good things about these cans and their treble is the best I've heard: you hear all the notes but they are never ever bright/sibilant.

My HD600 are pretty bright, after 2-3 hours it was a relief to get them off my head. I bought HD650 and their treble is definitively on the softer side, I can wear them all day long.

Still for $200 the DT250/250 are hard to beat.

May 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why I keep reading this. I've tried the 600 straight from my Fuze and, although it doesn't sound as through a dedicated amplifier, it doesn't by any means sound bad.

I still stand by my recommendation of the 600. It will provide a large immediate improvement, even straight from the laptop or E3, and will only get better later on down the road when the OP can afford a good dedicated amp.

Ive never listened to the 580, 600, or 650 but the general consensus is that they need an amp. I think that it would be a waist of money to purchase them when someone can get another pair of phones for less that will perform better than the Sennheisers do without an amp.

May 10, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive never listened to the 580, 600, or 650 but the general consensus is that they need an amp. I think that it would be a waist of money to purchase them when someone can get another pair of phones for less that will perform better than the Sennheisers do without an amp.

I think, though, honestly, that a lot of the "general consensus" surrounding these headphones may actually be propagated through what people have read about them, but not actually experienced. A sort of audio "urban myth", if you will, which only grows larger with more posts that aren't necessarily based on experience.

In my opinion, and (more importantly) my experience, the HD-600 perform acceptably without a dedicated amp. It would seem to be a better move in the long run to get a headphone which will improve noticeably with further upgrades, than get one that performs well enough now, but may not be as satisfying in the future with a better amp and source. Saves a lot of hassle and money that way...
wink.gif

Just my $0.02.

May 10, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

I think, though, honestly, that a lot of the "general consensus" surrounding these headphones may actually be propagated through what people have read about them, but not actually experienced. A sort of audio "urban myth", if you will, which only grows larger with more posts that aren't necessarily based on experience.

In my opinion, and (more importantly) my experience, the HD-600 perform acceptably without a dedicated amp. It would seem to be a better move in the long run to get a headphone which will improve noticeably with further upgrades, than get one that performs well enough now, but may not be as satisfying in the future with a better amp and source. Saves a lot of hassle and money that way...
wink.gif

Just my $0.02.

That is true. The OP said he doesn't plan on upgrading his equipment though.

May 10, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

wink.gif

Just my $0.02.

I agree. I used to have a HD580(supposedly virtually identical to the HD600) before I had to sell it and I feel it sounded pretty good without a dedicated amp. The mid bass can be a tad overbearing and uncontrolled depending on tastes without an amp though, but I'm not a basshead by any means. You can do much worst than an unamped HD600. Even though the OP said he didn't want to upgrade any upstream components, a $250 budget and some DIY skills can pretty easily get an HD580 and an amp.

May 10, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #25 of 26
Much of the general consensus on this forum is regurgitated groupthink. Listen to the phones yourself and determine whether or not you like them with your gear. In the end, the only opinion that matters is yours.

May 10, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much of the general consensus on this forum is regurgitated groupthink. Listen to the phones yourself and determine whether or not you like them with your gear. In the end, the only opinion that matters is yours.

The only problem with this is that I can't blindly go about and chase every under-$250 out there. That's why I'm asking for recommendations. That's what's helpful about the posts above. The final decision of course is going to be made my own ears.

BTT:

Regarding the Sennheiser's, I actually don't think that they're extremely hard to drive. Out of the cans that's I've tried with my iPod + FiiO E3, only the Beyer DT880 was extremely difficult to drive. I was able to try out the HD650 (for a very short time) and my gear was able to drive it decently; although, my gain was pretty much turned almost all the way up and I don't know if it was driven optimally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back