Cans for Progressive rock to Ambient rock
Jan 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
Most of my time I am rocking out to groups like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, God is an Astronaut. On the flip side I listen to what some call Post modern type Ambient music for the likes of Lanterna...
I have tried AKG Q701 and was almost perfect. What happened was the bass was not there and I thought the highs where a little harsh. That and they where too big for my head.. Too loose.
Senn HD650 just sound to warm or muddy to me. Just not clear enough.

Considering the following but want more input since I can not try them locally.

Grado RS1I   Some say this is best for Progressive rock.
Beyer T1.... Strectch for my budget.
Hifiman 500   I hear they are heavy and I already have some neck issues..
Audio Technica ATA AD900... Stereophile has these rated as their number three in the A catagory. Really. For only $199.00

Thoughts?????

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 6
I listen to similar groups as well and have a particular afinity for symphonic metal. IMO if you can afford them the LCD 3 is the best cans in the world for that. However, I would suggest the HiFiman HE 400 for sound and comfort. I just love the sound of planars. My HE 500 is sometimes too polite for rock, but I have heard on the forums the 400 has more bass and treble energy and I would audition them if you can. I plan on getting some soon.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 6
LCD3 IS way above my budget.
Anything else besides the Hifiman. Maybe the 400's would do..

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Just an update. Got the Beyer T1 and love them. They are perfect for any type of music... I still like my Grado PS500 for heavy rock however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back