Cans for listening to classic prog?
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 36
The i’s are going to be a bit brighter and lack just a bit of bass compared to the S and a bit harder to drive but not too much. I love the 400’s but they do require a bit more power to get them going but they are fun.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #18 of 36
I’ll totally agree with @Stillhart on that one I don’t care for the i’s that much either. If you had a better amp I picked up the 500’s for $400 and they are a different ballpark.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 36
I’ll totally agree with @Stillhart on that one I don’t care for the i’s that much either. If you had a better amp I picked up the 500’s for $400 and they are a different ballpark.
Agreed, the 500 is a completely different beast from any of the 400's and needs a beefy amp to sound its best. I remember hearing it at one of the Schiit Shows off either the MJ2/GMB or the Jot/BMB and it was a pretty stellar combo either way.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 36
Agreed, the 500 is a completely different beast from any of the 400's and needs a beefy amp to sound its best. I remember hearing it at one of the Schiit Shows off either the MJ2/GMB or the Jot/BMB and it was a pretty stellar combo either way.
I would probably like it better from the MJ2 as have a Kenzie and Liquid Carbon from a Yggy.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #21 of 36
I would probably like it better from the MJ2 as have a Kenzie and Liquid Carbon from a Yggy.

It likes power like its big brother the HE-6. Jot and MJ2 both put out more power than either of those iirc.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 36
It likes power like its big brother the HE-6. Jot and MJ2 both put out more power than either of those iirc.
Yes but not sound as good. Have a pair of Abyss AB-1266’s and the Liquid Carbon is just great with them the Kenzie comes close but have to try another pair of tubes that will double the output power but is said to lessen the bass output but with the Abyss is not a problem.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 36
Yes but not sound as good. snip
No argument there. I am not a fan of Schiit's sound in general. But credit where it's due, the HE-500 sounded awesome on them.

FWIW, I have a LC now and Kenzie is the next amp I am looking at grabbing if/when I can ever afford one. Good choices. :-D

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #24 of 36
No argument there. I am not a fan of Schiit's sound in general. But credit where it's due, the HE-500 sounded awesome on them.

FWIW, I have a LC now and Kenzie is the next amp I am looking at grabbing if/when I can ever afford one. Good choices. :-D
Not a big fan of Schiit amps either but the MJ2 is one I do like a lot just really good with the Ether-C’s. The 500’s are very versatile.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #25 of 36
The HE-500s have the 2nd best mids Ive ever heard,2nd only to the ....wait for it...Sextetts. Atticus are a close 3rd...All will rock prog.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #26 of 36
Jul 3, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #27 of 36
The HE-500s have the 2nd best mids Ive ever heard,2nd only to the ....wait for it...Sextetts. Atticus are a close 3rd...All will rock prog.
Funny you keep saying that. Atticus mids, to my ears, are heavily dependent on getting a good impedance match on your amp. With the wrong impedance, they got recessed in a way I didn't like. With the right impedance, I liked them better than the Eikon.

Anyways, wandered off topic again. Sorry, OP!

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #28 of 36
Funny you keep saying that. Atticus mids, to my ears, are heavily dependent on getting a good impedance match on your amp. With the wrong impedance, they got recessed in a way I didn't like. With the right impedance, I liked them better than the Eikon.

Anyways, wandered off topic again. Sorry, OP!

Atticus are very amp picky indeed...Upon Hansotek and UntilThen's suggestion I had Glenn build me an OTL....Me and my Atticus couldnt be happier :)

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #29 of 36
Atticus are very amp picky indeed...Upon Hansotek and UntilThen's suggestion I had Glenn build me an OTL....Me and my Atticus couldnt be happier :)
Yeah, I did a bunch of experimenting with Hansotek to find which amps worked well with it. He ended up with the Glenn and has been raving about it.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #30 of 36
Yeah, I did a bunch of experimenting with Hansotek to find which amps worked well with it. He ended up with the Glenn and has been raving about it.

Blows both my WA2 and La Figaro 339 outta the water...best $ Ive spent in this hobby(behind my Sextetts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back