Cans for listening to classic prog?
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

rogesald

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I usually listen to the likes of Yes, King Crimson, and Camel, but tend to shy away from the newer stuff and prog metal as a whole. I was looking upper mid-range cans (300-400 USD) with not a lot of possibilty of amping in the short future (I own a Hifiman Megamini, which I was told was enough for driving a pair of Senn HD600). Thanks for any recommendations!

Quick recap with extra details:

Genres: Symphonic Prog (mainly), Psych Rock, Jazz
Budget: 300-400 USD
Amp: None but Hifiman Megamini
Uses: At home

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 36
Your player has a max output of 54 mW 1.4v @ 36 ohms so I think it won’t do real well with the 600’s. It will work with them don’t get me wrong but I don’t think they will be real good with them can’t say for sure as I don’t have one but my guess is not so much. They also show the HE-400S in the ad saying can drive most cans and those are one of the easiest To drive HiFiMan headphones not that is a bad thing as it is one I would suggest you look at for being easy to drive and sounds very good in the price range you’re looking at for your genre of music as it is a favorite of mine also.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 36
Your player has a max output of 54 mW 1.4v @ 36 ohms so I think it won’t do real well with the 600’s. It will work with them don’t get me wrong but I don’t think they will be real good with them can’t say for sure as I don’t have one but my guess is not so much. They also show the HE-400S in the ad saying can drive most cans and those are one of the easiest To drive HiFiMan headphones not that is a bad thing as it is one I would suggest you look at for being easy to drive and sounds very good in the price range you’re looking at for your genre of music as it is a favorite of mine also.
Hey thanks for the reply Buke!
Glad to learn that the Megamini isn't up to snuff when it comes to driving bigger cans, I'll be looking to buy the Schiit Stack later in the future then.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 36
Grab an old vintage receiver and a pair of AKG K240 sextetts...Can prolly do both for around 400.00 total.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 36
As a lover of classic Prog myself, I can say one thing for sure: the old (non remastered) recordings are harsh as crap. You're really going to want a headphone that can tame the highs a bit IMHO. Old Yes (before the Wilson remasters) were just painful to listen to on some headphones IMHO.

You're going to want something fast to separate out all those overlapping layers, but smooth in the highs. I'm coming up short on options in that price range. I'm thinking of things like the Oppo PM-2 or LCD-2 (both slightly warm but otherwise fast planars). The HFM ones have typically been too bright IMHO for old prog, but I'm not up to date on their newest offerings. Maybe a ZMF Vibro mk 2 if you can find a used one (I don't think they sell them new anymore).

I dunno, just throwing out some ideas on general sound I'd look for.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 36
While I won’t disagree with that recommendation it just takes up a bunch of real estate. I think King Crimsom the early stuff would be good but not so much for Yes for me just saying.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 36
As a lover of classic Prog myself, I can say one thing for sure: the old (non remastered) recordings are harsh as ****. You're really going to want a headphone that can tame the highs a bit IMHO. Old Yes (before the Wilson remasters) were just painful to listen to on some headphones IMHO.

You're going to want something fast to separate out all those overlapping layers, but smooth in the highs. I'm coming up short on options in that price range. I'm thinking of things like the Oppo PM-2 or LCD-2 (both slightly warm but otherwise fast planars). The HFM ones have typically been too bright IMHO for old prog, but I'm not up to date on their newest offerings. Maybe a ZMF Vibro mk 2 if you can find a used one (I don't think they sell them new anymore).

I dunno, just throwing out some ideas on general sound I'd look for.
Oof, those prices sure pack a punch. I might look into more expensive headphones further down the line, regardless thank you so much for the suggestions. However I will try to find the ZMF on ebay.
Also yeah, the old recordings can be just a little bit caustic to the ears!

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 36
Your preferred sound signature would help as in do you like it to be bright ,neutral or more warm ?

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 36
Thanks for the recommendation, however I think that vintage recievers are a whole 'nother can of worms I really don't want to get into at my early stages.

As you wish,just understand they have gobs of power,much,much,much more than the ubiquitous Schiit Magni 3.
The only headphones they dont drive exceptionally well are low impedance headphones.

Good luck.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 36
Don’t know the 30M’s and have not heard the 215’s myself but reading many impressions of them they tend to be on the warmer side if I was to say from the impressions I got. For a good all arounder that is easy to drive I would still think HE-400S is a good choice.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 36
Does it have to be the S model? Or is the i model fine?

The S model is a lot cheaper and most people seem to think it's nearly as good. Since I personally don't think the i model is that good for the money, I'd say the S is probably a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back