Canlanta 2016 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #16 of 50
Canlanta was great! I feel undeservedly blessed by the raffle gods of Canlanta. Thanks to all the manufacturers that provided such fantastic products.

The best part of the event was meeting and talking to many of you in person and making friends. Special thanks to Theogenes and AxelCloris for the great conversation and for just hanging out.

My two favorite setups I heard were with MattTCG superdupont modded HD800 fed by dual mono Questyle amps and sheldaze HD800S fed by the juicy Musette and MicroZTL. I suppose I'll own this headphone at some point. Also these two guys were great to talk to and super nice to boot.

I was impressed with the Noble universals I listened too: Savant, Savannah and K10. Love the new shells and I think the K10 deserves all the love it gets on HF.

I never knew a tape deck could sound so good. Mine never sounded as good, back in the day, as MexicanDragon setup. Another really nice guy too.

I really loved hearing people gush about the Empire Ears Zeus-R. As an owner I think it's pretty special.

I wish I could have made it around to every table and met more people. Hopefully there will be a next time this time next year. Hats off to the Audio-Video Club of the ATL for hosting a fantastic event.

May 23, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #17 of 50
I was proud to attend the first ever Canlanta!

I briefly went to the last Nashville meet, but this was my first real experience of sitting down and talking and spending time with the gear and wonderful people. Was good to see @Theogenes again and meet some new people. Joe from Headphone Audiophile was awesome and gave me a great deal on something I have had my eyes on for awhile.

As a longtime Tyll fan, it was good to shake his hand and hear him talk.

I got to hear a lot of gear that I have never heard before - the K10 iem truly is special and I certainly plan to get a custom pair.

Can't wait for the next event.. I am slowly pulling my girlfriend more and more into the hobby as well.
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks so much for putting together the event. I think you guys did an excellent job and the schedule was very accurate and I had a blast!

May 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 50
I hope to post more impressions & pictures tonight.  Mostly pictures actually...I didn't have much time to listen to other gears much given I had to man the Metrix  & Violetric table.

May 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #19 of 50
10 hours drive through a rainstorm to hear the Liquid Gold - absolutely worth it! But the real Gold for me is, and always been, meeting and sharing with the Head-Fi community. Atlanta was a fantastic meet.

Great to see some familiar faces. Glad to see some new faces, and to get to meet people I've known only online or in pictures. Thanks to LTA for letting me borrow the Metrum Musette. I'm still a fan of R2R sound, at least as far as I've heard it done by Audio-GD, Metrum, and Schiit. But my Gumby only travels 90 minutes on UPS power, so I could not bring it. With the Musette, I was able to share an experience with my MicroZOTL2 on a similar setup. Glad to hear from those who enjoyed it. I also owe a great thanks, I think it was @buke9, for his power cord, without which I would not have had a setup at all!

One of the fun things I like to do is always have a small audio experiment. I appreciated those who stopped by a little longer and had time to listen to the two DACs. I brought along a Sabre implementation, Ayre Codex, just to show that Delta-Sigma and Sabre are not the bane of all evil 
tongue.gif

Stand outs for me - gotta hand it to @MattTCG and his HD800 setup. I'm going to be in touch with you soon on that 
biggrin.gif

But I'm just getting back on my feet, so I'll cut short. Great thanks to the vendors. Great thanks to the organizers (and thanks for finding my phone
eek.gif
). To the Audio-Video Club of Atlanta and all your local headphone enthusiasts - you have put together a wonderful meet. I hope to see it thrive and grow!

May 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 50
Yes Sheldon that was my cable I'm so glad I had it so I could hear the Microzotl such a nice amp. I was thinking of the Microzotl or a Ampsandsound Kenzie amp I thought they were about the same price I must've looked at it wrong the Micro is about $600 less so that could put it the ballpark for me. Thanks for bringing it my wallet doesn't agree but when do we listen to it in this hobby; ) Was really nice talking to you hope to see ya at a meet sometime again.

May 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 50
10 hours drive through a rainstorm to hear the Liquid Gold - absolutely worth it! But the real Gold for me is, and always been, meeting and sharing with the Head-Fi community. Atlanta was a fantastic meet.

Great to see some familiar faces. Glad to see some new faces, and to get to meet people I've known only online or in pictures. Thanks to LTA for letting me borrow the Metrum Musette. I'm still a fan of R2R sound, at least as far as I've heard it done by Audio-GD, Metrum, and Schiit. But my Gumby only travels 90 minutes on UPS power, so I could not bring it. With the Musette, I was able to share an experience with my MicroZOTL2 on a similar setup. Glad to hear from those who enjoyed it. I also owe a great thanks, I think it was @buke9
, for his power cord, without which I would not have had a setup at all!

One of the fun things I like to do is always have a small audio experiment. I appreciated those who stopped by a little longer and had time to listen to the two DACs. I brought along a Sabre implementation, Ayre Codex, just to show that Delta-Sigma and Sabre are not the bane of all evil :p

Stand outs for me - gotta hand it to @MattTCG
 and his HD800 setup. I'm going to be in touch with you soon on that :D

But I'm just getting back on my feet, so I'll cut short. Great thanks to the vendors. Great thanks to the organizers (and thanks for finding my phone :eek: ). To the Audio-Video Club of Atlanta and all your local headphone enthusiasts - you have put together a wonderful meet. I hope to see it thrive and grow!

Did you happen to leave some power cables?

May 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #22 of 50
He told me he forgot his that's why he borrowed mine but it might have fell out on him and he didn't realize it.

May 23, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #23 of 50

He told me he forgot his that's why he borrowed mine but it might have fell out on him and he didn't realize it.

Just checked. My amplifier is the only thing I did not unpack.
I've got all my cables, adaptors, etc. Might be from Burnley?

May 23, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 50
Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make Canlanta 2016 a success, and fun!
beerchug.gif

As a former Head-Fi meet and CanJam organizer, I can tell y'all that what you guys hosted was definitely something to be proud of.  

It was organized well, so things ran smoothly, and it was surprisingly well-attended.  In fact, it was just about on-par with the first L.A. meet that @third_eye and I organized a few years back (the meet that eventually morphed into CanJam SoCal).  So again, great job fellas!  
smile.gif

And just in case you guys didn't get a chance to take a breath and appreciate the crowd, here ya go...

On behalf of Cavalli Audio and myself, we're glad we were there, and look forward to coming back next time!  
smile.gif

To my friend Joe (@jmsaxon69), man it was like seeing an old friend after all those countless hours spent on the phone.  Amy, it was a pleasure and a joy meeting you.  I wish you and Joe all the happiness there is to be found in this world!  Especially with the you-know-what, the non-audio thing-a-ma-jig.  
wink.gif

@MattTCG, I was beginning to think we might never meet after years of posting, PMing, and talking on the phone.  But I'm so glad we did.  Now all I have to do is convince you to take a vacation out west (preferably right around the time of CanJam SoCal).    @buke9 did this past year, so maybe there's hope yet for luring you out there!  Speaking of @buke9, it was terrific seeing you again, and meeting your wife as well!  @Theogenes, you are one cool and friendly dude.  I wish we had a chance to hang out more, but you were pretty busy helping everything move smoothly along.  Maybe next time, or at the next Music City meet?  @sheldaze, I love the way you listen!  You savor every moment like it's the last song you'll ever hear - and I totally dig that about you!  Franklin, I definitely enjoyed meeting you, and wanted to thank you for all the things you did all weekend long - both big and small - to make us all feel welcome!

And finally, thanks to the AVCOA... and @jhm3 and Chuck Bruce especially... for getting behind Canlanta and doing so much to make it all happen.  
L3000.gif

P.S. - If I've forgotten to mention anybody, I'm so sorry, my brain's been quite mushy today with a bunch of catch-up work.   
redface.gif

May 23, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 50
Well, I have like three power cables that somebody left. If they belong to anybody just PM me and I'll be glad to UPS them

May 23, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 50
HeadphoneAudiophile.com and Cavalli Audio announcing some great news!

We made a big announcement at the inaugural Canlanta 2016 this last weekend, so for those of you who could not attend, the big news is that HeadphoneAudiophile.com is proud to announce that it is the premier internet retailer for the Cavalli Audio line of products! Starting immediately the Cavalli line will be able to be ordered at HeadphoneAudiophile.com . We are currently taking pre-orders for the last batch of Liquid Carbon and also the last run of Liquid Gold. With the announcement of the new batch of the Liquid Carbon ($799) there is also a new portable amplifier called the Liquid Spark ($499) that has been seen in prototype form all of the world for the last year at select Audio Shows and Headphone Meets. It has garnered a lot of attention and anticipation based on the sound this little box puts out to some serious headphones! The Liquid Spark is getting close to being put into production! The Initial batch of Liquid Sparks is limited to only a thousand units worldwide and will disappear quickly. info@headphoneaudiophile.com is now taking reservations, so please contact us to make sure you are able to secure one for yourself!

May 23, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 50
HeadphoneAudiophile.com and Cavalli Audio announcing some great news!

We made a big announcement at the inaugural Canlanta 2016 this last weekend, so for those of you who could not attend, the big news is that HeadphoneAudiophile.com is proud to announce that it is the premier internet retailer for the Cavalli Audio line of products!

Yay!  
beerchug.gif

The Initial batch of Liquid Sparks is limited to only a thousand units worldwide and will disappear quickly. info@headphoneaudiophile.com is now taking reservations, so please contact us to make sure you are able to secure one for yourself! www.headphoneaudiophile.com

^ This.  +1

May 23, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #28 of 50
Right now I am still trying to figure out what just happened! I am so pleased that our efforts were appreciated. I can't remember when I have been with a group this large that felt more like just a bunch of friends hanging out and having fun. I may try to put down some of my own thoughts later on as the enormity of what this team accomplished in just a couple of months sinks in.

At this point I think I need about a month's rest and then we will start planning for CanLanta 2017!

Thank you all so much for the wonderful positive comments! I will also send out a brief survey to get some more focused feedback on how we can make this better next year. The format will be the same... industry, enthusiasts, and newbies... and we hope to be able to attract more newbies next year!

John (jhm3)

May 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #29 of 50
Really want to agree with Warren on this. We had a great weekend in Atlanta and greatly appreciate the efforts of the Atlanta A/V Society and all of the people who came out. Ampsandsound had a great show and it was fun to put a face to names. 

A great group of people.

Ian White
AmpsandSound 

May 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #30 of 50
Everyone,

I have done a great disservice to a stand-up Head-Fi'er who really held the first CanLanta event. Since A-VCOA was supporting this event for the first time, I have been calling this the "inaugural" CanLanta. It was for us, but it was not the first CanLanta!! Back in 2013, Travis Pate put together the first event... CanLanta 2013 by himself. In fact, I still have one of the Tee shirts from it. That meet was held on a day that had one of those "toad choker" rain storms that can discourage even an alligator from heading out. As a result, it didn't get nearly the attendance it deserved, even though in the opinion of everyone who attended it was a great success!

When we started to plan for the 2016 event, I asked Trav's permission to re-use the name he had come up with. It's a great name! He graciously allowed us to use the name and the concept for this event and we owe him our thanks for it.

Trav, I apologize for not giving credit where it is due and hope that you will continue to let us build off your original idea.

John

John Morrison, President, Founding Member
Audio-Video Club of Atlanta 
Direct: 770-330-3919
Fax: 1-866-891-3690

mailto:jhm3@bellsouth.net
http://www.a-vcoa.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back