Canlanta 2016 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #31 of 50
I am so angry, I was so preoccupied with school ending that I completely forgot about this (I am fuming with anger). Next year it is then.

May 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #32 of 50
But then we couldn't offer the Kenzie, Mogwai, or forthcoming Agartha at their respective prices. None of the amps suffer from a power or noise issue with any headphones. Appreciate your time at the show. 

May 24, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #33 of 50
Originally Posted by buke9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still might opt for the Torpedo III as it was pretty nice and I was looking for a DIY project. The Torpedo is just lacking a little power as I had to turn it up to like 1 to 2 o'clock to get the power I needed and I don't listen at loud volume . I got the same level of volume on the HD-800's they had there also. It was still a nice sounding amp for the money it's hard to beat ( for a DIY option) for the price.

Many thanks for the great comments!

Just an FYI, because I would not be properly supporting ECP Audio and their designs if I didn't mention: volume knob position is only an indication of gain, not power.
wink.gif

May 24, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #34 of 50
Thanks John. Travis deserves all the credit. I spoke to him and he would love to have attended but it's a graduation weekend for his son. Not only did Travis organized the first Canlanta Meet in 2013, but he also paid for the event himself. I talked to Trav after the meet and he was seriously in the red 3 years ago. I sure miss him this past weekend and hope he will be in attendance in 2017.

May 24, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #35 of 50
Thanks John. Travis deserves all the credit. I spoke to him and he would love to have attended but it's a graduation weekend for his son. Not only did Travis organized the first Canlanta Meet in 2013, but he also paid for the event himself. I talked to Trav after the meet and he was seriously in the red 3 years ago. I sure miss him this past weekend and hope he will be in attendance in 2017.

I couldn't agree with you more. Without Travis' lead in putting on the 2013 event, we probably would not have taken this on. We were lucky enough to have a dedicated group of volunteers and he had to do it by himself. We will have tentative dates announced in the next few months and everyone can start their CanLanta 2017 planning early!

May 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 50
Really want to thank everyone again for the opportunity to show our products last weekend. We will be back. 

Big week for us. Canlanta, Newport, New York Head-Fi meet, San Fran Head-Fi meet, and then this dropped today...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/amps-sound-kenzie-headphone-amp-hands-on/#:b0PYONDI-X38nA

May 26, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #37 of 50
  Really want to thank everyone again for the opportunity to show our products last weekend. We will be back. 

Big week for us. Canlanta, Newport, New York Head-Fi meet, San Fran Head-Fi meet, and then this dropped today...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/amps-sound-kenzie-headphone-amp-hands-on/#:b0PYONDI-X38nA

You're very welcome. I must say that I was very impressed with both amps you brought. They both had a nice balance of finesse and power. The Kenzie is on my shortlist. 

May 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #38 of 50
Great review for a great amp. It is on my shortlist also.

May 26, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #39 of 50

Really great review. I wish I had had the time to spend more time listening to it! Would like to hear my HD 650's. Geekria Silver HP Cable combo on it!

May 26, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #40 of 50

I appreciate your endorsement. This amp is on the shortlist for me. I liked the sound, a lot. And the amp is also beautiful looking. Wonderful tonality and very flexible with the dual impedance jacks. I'd like to spend some quality time with it and the hd800. 

it was SO cool to meet you Matt! After all this time.

Psyched to see the response to AmpsandSound too! When I asked Ethan to hook him up at CanJam SoCal - AmpsandSound was mostly an audiophile type-thing. But, when I met Justin months before CanJam SoCal - I went along with my buddies, as they wanted to hear some high-efficiency loudspeakers  - not my thing - but when I walked into Justins house I saw the Kenzie on his kitchen table, and said: You have a headphone amp?!?!?  I ran out and got my ETHER-Cs, DHC cable leads, Nordost iKable, QP1R and my AK380 and proceeded to lose the rest of the guys!! I posted the pic of my 1st encounter with the Kenzie on my Instagram page and that was it!

I HAD to get that thing reviewed (I was so busy, and between places). So I got Dean Seislove to review the unit at Positive Feedback - and its just SO COOL to see his stuff getting the attention it deserves!!!! 

I'm waiting for my acct to be changed to *Sponsor* (as many of you know: I'm working for Bruce Ball at Questyle North American Inc. now as Director of Brand Support) - so I can't share impressions yet - but I just wanna say I had a BLAST at Canlanta and psyched for next year!! 
WELL: My accounts updated! AWESOME.

and Matt: I'm sorry I didn't get to hear your stacked 800s!

May 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #41 of 50
  Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make Canlanta 2016 a success, and fun!
beerchug.gif

As a former Head-Fi meet and CanJam organizer, I can tell y'all that what you guys hosted was definitely something to be proud of.  

It was organized well, so things ran smoothly, and it was surprisingly well-attended.  In fact, it was just about on-par with the first L.A. meet that @third_eye and I organized a few years back (the meet that eventually morphed into CanJam SoCal).  So again, great job fellas!  
smile.gif

And just in case you guys didn't get a chance to take a breath and appreciate the crowd, here ya go...

On behalf of Cavalli Audio and myself, we're glad we were there, and look forward to coming back next time!  
smile.gif

To my friend Joe (@jmsaxon69), man it was like seeing an old friend after all those countless hours spent on the phone.  Amy, it was a pleasure and a joy meeting you.  I wish you and Joe all the happiness there is to be found in this world!  Especially with the you-know-what, the non-audio thing-a-ma-jig.  
wink.gif

@MattTCG, I was beginning to think we might never meet after years of posting, PMing, and talking on the phone.  But I'm so glad we did.  Now all I have to do is convince you to take a vacation out west (preferably right around the time of CanJam SoCal).    @buke9 did this past year, so maybe there's hope yet for luring you out there!  Speaking of @buke9, it was terrific seeing you again, and meeting your wife as well!  @Theogenes, you are one cool and friendly dude.  I wish we had a chance to hang out more, but you were pretty busy helping everything move smoothly along.  Maybe next time, or at the next Music City meet?  @sheldaze, I love the way you listen!  You savor every moment like it's the last song you'll ever hear - and I totally dig that about you!  Franklin, I definitely enjoyed meeting you, and wanted to thank you for all the things you did all weekend long - both big and small - to make us all feel welcome!

And finally, thanks to the AVCOA... and @jhm3 and Chuck Bruce especially... for getting behind Canlanta and doing so much to make it all happen.  
L3000.gif

P.S. - If I've forgotten to mention anybody, I'm so sorry, my brain's been quite mushy today with a bunch of catch-up work.   
redface.gif

oh you just got me weepy
you don't love me anymore 
biggrin.gif

I'm rockin' the best of both worlds right now! My Cavalli LAu and QA CAS192D Golden DAC - - 

I shared all about this combo long before Bruce even spoke w/ me about working for him!!

Those two - with the magnetic levitation shelf under - WHOAH!!!!

Seeing Tyll look healthy and sound good - meant everything.  

May 26, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #42 of 50
Tyll's event review is now UP: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canlanta-even-blind-hog-finds-acorn-now-and-again#fSIJtfW2tfBYfeXO.97

May 26, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #44 of 50
Hot on the heels of Canlanta 2016, after having heard so many amazing headphones and setups, I decided to ever so gently dip my toes, a small and humble foray into the thrilling journey and adventure that is the planar magnetic headphones by immediately placing an online order for a Hifiman HE400S.

Of this, my very first planar, the legendary Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity enthused not so long ago: "Oh man! The HE400S is a fabulous sounding headphone!" He went on to describe it as "terrific," "glorious," and "astonishing." A headphone that he "highly, highly recommended," it also hit his Wall of Fame "with authority."

Oh, Etta! Oh, Ella! Oh, Nina! Oh, Dinah! Oh, Billy! LOL

As I enjoy listening with my first planar, I can't help but feel in my gut that this is but the first of many, many more to come. We all know very well what's going to happen next and how this is going to end (if there's an end at all!). In fact, another one, this time a closed-back, is on its way. :)

As they say, the "force" is strong.

May 26, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #45 of 50

John,

Sennheiser and our amps is a wonderful combination. Really is one of the best matches. 

Ian 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back