CanJam SoCal 2023 (September 30-October 1)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 410
SoCal2023.jpg

After a record breaking show last year, CanJam SoCal 2023 returns to beautiful Orange County, California for the 8th edition of CanJam SoCal! Join us again at the beautiful Irvine Marriott for North America's biggest headphone audio show! SAVE THE DATES and be sure to subscribe to the thread for updates.

CanJam SoCal 2023

Irvine Marriott
18000 Von Karman Avenue
Irvine, California 92612
USA

Saturday, September 30, 2023
10am to 6pm

Sunday, October 1, 2023
10am-5pm

Show Tickets (Click here to purchase)
Weekend - $40
One Day - $30

Travel
Minutes away from South Coast Plaza, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, and Disneyland, visitors to CanJam SoCal will get to experience Southern California at its finest. We have secured a limited number of rooms at an incredible rate of $139/night. Click here to make room reservations. Discounted self parking is $15/day.

CanJam Volunteers
There will be volunteer staff positions at CanJam SoCal 2023 to assist at the Registration Desk. You will need to be able to commit to a 4 hour shift on either the Saturday or Sunday of the event. Volunteers will receive free weekend tickets along with an event T-Shirt. If you are interested, please send me a PM or email to ethan@canjam.org with your full name, email address, and T-Shirt size.

CanJam SoCal Forum Badges
Looking to get a CanJam SoCal 2023 event badge added to your profile? Drop us a line and we'll be happy to add one for you.

We look forward to seeing you at CanJam SoCal 2023!

SoCal_23_Avatar 300x300_v1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 410
SoCal23_header_sponsors.jpg

dCS
Headphones.com
Mimic Audio
The Source AV

SoCal23_header_exhibitors.jpg

64 Audio
ABYSS Headphones
AFUL
American Music & Sound
ampsandsound
ArtVano
Atlas Cables
Audeze
Audio-Technica
Austrian Audio
Bloom Audio
Bruel and Kjaer
Burson Audio
Campfire Audio
Chord Electronics
Crosszone
Dan Clark Audio
dCS
Dekoni Audio
DROP
DUNU
EarMen
EAR Micro
Effect Audio
Eletech
Elysian Acoustic Labs
Empire Ears
Etymotic
FatFreq
Feliks Audio
Ferrum Audio
FiiO
Flash Acoustics
FlipEars
Focal
Fostex
HeadAmp Audio Electronics
Headphones.com
HEDD
HiBy
HiFi Go
HIFIMAN
High End by Oz
ICELAB
IFi Audio
Jomo Audio
Kinera
Lake People
Leiyin Audio
Letshuoer
MASS-Kobo
Metal Magic Research
Meze Audio
Mimic Audio
MOONDROP
MusicTeck
Nightjar Acoustics
Niimbus
Noble Audio
Pathos Acoustics
PLUSSOUND
PrimaLuna
qdc
Questyle
RME
Schiit Audio
Seeaudio
Sennheiser
SMSL
Spirit Torino
STAX
Subtonic Audio
Symphonium Audio
T+A
T10 Bespoke
Tanchjim
The Source AV
Timsok
TOPPING
TRUTHEAR
Ultimate Ears Pro
Unique Melody
Upscale Audio
Violectric
Vision Ears
Viva Audio
VZR Audio
Warwick Acoustics
Westone Audio
Woo Audio
xDuoo
Yamaha
ZMFheadphones

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 410
SoCal23_header_tshirt.jpg

CanJamSoCal2023_T-Shirt-Mock-Up_01d.jpg

CanJam SoCal 2023 T-Shirts are $40 and can now be ordered online at the following link: https://canjamglobal.com/shows/socal2023/ On the CanJam SoCal 2023 show page, scroll down until you reach the "CanJam SoCal 2023 T-Shirts" section to place your order.

All T-Shirt pre-orders must be picked at the Registration Desk during show hours on September 30 - October 1. The deadline for online T-Shirt orders for CanJam SoCal 2023 is Tuesday, September 12. We will have a few extra T-Shirts in various sizes on hand as well. CanJam SoCal 2023 volunteers do not need to order their own T-shirts as we will be providing them directly.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 410
SoCal23_header_seminars.jpg

Come join us in the Rancho Las Palmas room on the main level of the Irvine Marriott for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else. Spaces are limited, so be sure to arrive early. See you there!

Saturday, September 30, 2023

It's About Time
11:00a to Noon

Advancements in semiconductor materials and MEMS fabrication techniques have resulted in a new class of transducer, called Piezo-MEMS. Piezo-MEMS μSpeakers have unique attributes and beneficial performance improvements over traditional inductive coil-based speakers. One notable new capability is time-domain resolution. Absolute and relative phase will be discussed in this technical primer, along with Piezo-MEMS theory of operation, design, fabrication, packaging, and testing. This presentation will be informative to audiophile consumers and product designers alike. Listening demos of xMEMS latest Audiophile IEMs will be provided.
SPEAKER: Michael Ricci, Sr. Director of Electroacoustic Engineering, xMEMS Labs, Inc.

Myths About Measurements
Noon to 1:00p

Objective measurements are everywhere in audio. Never before has so much data been so accessible so easily, but is that a good thing? Join our panel of experts to learn why measurements shouldn’t always be trusted, why we should always take measurements with a sizable grain of salt, why we should never treat them as absolutes, and how objective measurements are often quite subjective. Most importantly, learn about what’s being done to address these flaws, to achieve better clarity for us all moving forward.
SPEAKERS: Konstantin Davy (Oratory1990); Blaine LaCross (Mad Economist); Cameron Oatley (GoldenSound)

Air Motion Transformers (AMT) Transducers: Lighter, Faster, Stronger, Better?
2:00p to 3:00p

Join Dmitry Grigoriev, Head of Research & Development at HEDD Audio as he presents a comprehensive overview of Air Motion Transformer (AMT) technology, beginning with its invention by Oskar Heil, to its maturation under Klaus Heinz, through its continuing development by HEDD today. Learn about this unique transducer technology, including: how it functions; how it’s used in countless speakers; how it compares to more conventional transducers; how HEDD created the first full-range AMT headphone driver; and how it’s been improved for the latest-generation HEDDphone Two.
SPEAKER: Dmitry Grigoriev, Head of Research & Development, HEDD Audio GmbH

DAC Architectures: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
3:00p to 4:00p

Although digital audio is ubiquitous these days, finding an optimal DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) remains a complicated, and often confusing, task. Join Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant for Chord Electronics, as he explores the various DAC architectures commonly employed today, and breaks down the strengths and weaknesses of each. Finally, personal preferences aside, learn the objective criteria by which all digital-to-analog conversion methods should be judged for high fidelity audio applications.
SPEAKER: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

Pro Audio vs Audiophilia — Two Worlds Collide
4:00p to 5:00p

Pro audio and audiophile playback systems can often sound distinctly different, with seemingly fundamental clashes in their goals. While professionals typically insist on flat frequency response and detail, audiophiles tend to favor immersiveness and emotionality. And yet, these two worlds must collide to bring about the enjoyment that we all prize - but where? Join Chris Berens (Audeze Artist Relations) for some fascinating insights on the differences between pro audio and audiophile priorities, preferences, and products — and how we strangely end up hearing the same thing.
SPEAKER: Chris Berens, Artist Relations, Audeze

The Influence of Geometry, Directivity and Acoustical Impedance of Headphones on Sound Perception
5:00p - 6:00p

Today, many enthusiasts measure the frequency response of their headphones. But the perceived sound of a headphone is dependent on more than what frequency response curves can show. Their geometries and acoustical impedances can greatly influence their perceived sound, as both the shape and directivity of the sound field within an ear cup are crucial to our spatial perception. Join legendary headphone de- signer and acoustical engineer Axel Grell as he shows us that what we hear is based on much more than what we can see.
SPEAKER: Axel Grell, Founder & CEO, Grell Audio

Sunday, October 1, 2023

The HARMAN Headphone Target Curve: 2023 And Beyond
11:00a to Noon

The Harman Target is a subjectively preferred headphone frequency response that was the culmination of a 7-year scientific study on the perception and measurement of headphone sound quality. My talk summarizes what the Harman Target Curve is, how it was developed and validated, and how to best use it for interpreting and predicting how good a headphone sounds. With the introduction of new headphone test fixtures, like the B&K 5128, the future of the Harman target curve will be discussed.
SPEAKER: Dr. Sean Olive, Senior Fellow, Acoustic Research, Harman International

New Audio Quality Metric for Humans
Noon to 1:00p

Hottinger Bruel & Kjaer developed a new audio quality metric called BSR (Buzz Squeak and Rattle) which can estimate audio artefacts by measuring the non-linear response of a speaker using a log sweep, speech or music as stimuli. This new metric is based on a time-varying loudness analysis taking into account the frequency and time masking of a human ear. BSR is a true human audio quality metric which correlates well with subjective impressions.
SPEAKER: Vince Rey, Key Account Manager and Audio Engineer, Hottinger Brüel & Kjær (HBK)

Free Schiit!*
1:00p to 2:00p

What happens when you have a big measurement claim you know will be hard to prove? In the old days, you spent 6 years and 7 figures, and got results that everybody still argued about. Find out how we came up with a new idea, and — if you have an acoustic measurement rig — sign up for a free amp to test. *Free Schiit for measuring enthusiasts only, cheap Schiit for everybody else.
SPEAKER: Jason Stoddard, Founder, Schiit Audio

How Interpolation Filters and Transients Crucially Affect Sound Quality
3:00p to 4:00p

Join us for an invaluable hour of insight into how digital interpolation filters work. This seminar will cover: understanding the importance of interpolation filtering and transients; realizing just how much time domain performance can dictate fidelity and realism, and much more. If you didn’t understand any of that, and you are currently pursuing an endgame rig with a digital source, then this is one seminar you won’t want to miss.
SPEAKER: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

Ask The Reviewers AMA @ CanJam SoCal 2023!
4:00p to 5:00p

What was best-in-show at CanJam SoCal 2023? Does burn-in exist? Do cables make a difference? How much power does the Susvara truly need? What is the best in-ear monitor or headphone, for my music, within my budget? You have questions, bring them to our panel of expert reviewers. Join Gary Alan Barker (Headphone.Guru), Cameron Oatley (GoldenSound), Zeos Pantera (Z Reviews), Marcello Rostagni (MRHiFiReviews) and Douglas Stephens (DMS) as they answer them all live, and in real time!
SPEAKERS: Gary Alan Barker (Headphone.Guru); Cameron Oatley (GoldenSound); Zeos Pantera (Z Reviews); Marcello Rostagni (MRHiFiReviews); Douglas Stephens (DMS)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 410
SoCal23_header_showspecials.jpg

64 AudioVisit booth to enter a giveaway to win a U12t on Saturday, and a Premium Silver Cable (with preferred termination) on Sunday.
20% off most universals.
20% off customs A6t and up.
ABYSS Headphones10% off on ABYSS Headphones. Ask a team member at the show for a special coupon code.
ArtVanoUp to 50% off on select products at show.
Audio-TechnicaVisit booth for a chance to win a pair of ATH-R70x open-back headphones.
20% off select headphones at www.audio-technica.com/en-us/.
Bloom Audio10%-15% off select brands.
Free swag bag for first 50 visitors to booth that demo something. Great stuff inside like a DDHiFi adapter, SpinFit eartips, Dekoni hat, iBasso IEMs, and more.
Dekoni Audio25% off MSRP on all earpads and accessories.
Visit booth for Show Special pricing on Dekoni Cobalt and Dekoni Blue.
Effect AudioUp to 20% off for all products (excluding Fusion 1 and Centurion).
Elysian Acoustic LabsVisit booth for Show Special bundles.
Empire Ears20% off all IEMs excluding RAVEN.
Etymotic25% off ER4 Series.
FatFreq15% off all IEMs (except Scarlet Mini).
FiiOup to 30% select products purchased at show.
Flash AcousticsUp to 50% off on select products at show.
Focal20% off Utopia, Stellia, Clear MG, Celestee, Show Promo pricing on Elegia and Bathys.
Headphones.comUp to 25% off everything on display at CanJam SoCal 2023.
Visit booth for a comprehensive list of Show Special pricing on Focal headphones.
HiFiGo10% off HiFiGo products on Amazon.com and www.hifigo.com using coupon code: 10CanJam2023.
Jomo Audio20% off UIEMs.
KineraVisit booth to enter a giveaway.
20% off show purchases.
Leiyin Audio20% off show purchases.
LETSHUOERVisit booth to receive special discounted pricing on the full range of products. Limited Stock of openbox S12/S12 Pro also available with an extra discount.
Noble Audio20% off all IEMs.
SennheiserVisit booth for a comprehensive list of Show Special pricing.
The Source AVVisit booth for 10%-30% off all products purchased at show.
Timsok5% off purchases made at show.
TOPPING20% off purchases made at show.
Upscale AudioFeliks Audio Echo MKII usually retails for $995, will sell for $845.75 during the show and for the week after.
Westone Audio25% off of MACH Series.
Woo Audio10% off on Woo Audio amplifiers over $599. Ask a team member at the show for a special coupon code.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 410
This is where the fun begins

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 410
The only question I have is do I stay one or two days…

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 410
Been years since I've logged in and posted but super excited for this SoCal canjam! Bought the two day and already booked my hotel stay (how do we do the discounted parking rate? Or is that better to ask the front desk at the time of? I think they have EV charging as well so I'd be curious how that works).

Going to have to do some research on what to bring but excited to demo and enjoy.

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 410
Nice! How do I sign up for the HE-1 list?

@ericpalonen will likely post a signup sheet a few weeks before. I'll let him confirm though.

The only question I have is do I stay one or two days…

The only answer is two :wink:

Been years since I've logged in and posted but super excited for this SoCal canjam! Bought the two day and already booked my hotel stay (how do we do the discounted parking rate? Or is that better to ask the front desk at the time of? I think they have EV charging as well so I'd be curious how that works).

Going to have to do some research on what to bring but excited to demo and enjoy.

Yes they have EV charging. I think it's just a standard plug and go. I am unsure if it's a Supercharger (don't think so). Parking rate best discussed with hotel front desk in my past experience.

Looking forward to this. Will be my first.

Welcome! We hope you have a wonderful time.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 410
Yes they have EV charging. I think it's just a standard plug and go. I am unsure if it's a Supercharger (don't think so). Parking rate best discussed with hotel front desk in my past experience.

That's what I had figured. I think it's an overnight/L2 probably but I'll figure it out.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #14 of 410
That's what I had figured. I think it's an overnight/L2 probably but I'll figure it out.

The hotel is great - I'm sure if you call and ask they will happily clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back