CanJam SoCal 2023 (September 30-October 1)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 410
So excited! Very new to the hobby (about 6 months) and have fallen head first into the rabbit hole! So glad I live within driving distance to experience such a cool event.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 410
Was looking forward to this years SoCal CanJam but it looks like the discount rates are all gone/booked.:scream::thinking::sob: At least that is the response I get from Marriot. That was fast.

Ok, we were temporarily sold out for the Sunday night only, but more rooms have been released if Sunday night is needed.

So excited! Very new to the hobby (about 6 months) and have fallen head first into the rabbit hole! So glad I live within driving distance to experience such a cool event.
You're in for a great experience!

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 410
@ericpalonen will likely post a signup sheet a few weeks before. I'll let him confirm though.

The only answer is two :wink:

Yes they have EV charging. I think it's just a standard plug and go. I am unsure if it's a Supercharger (don't think so). Parking rate best discussed with hotel front desk in my past experience.

Welcome! We hope you have a wonderful time.
Two days it is. Hope you like Dad jokes, Seb, cause I'll be bringing em.

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 410
Ditto to thaslaya. Never been to a CanJam and after many years of non-headphone kit / tech listening, I got bitten by the headphone bug. ZMF and Schiit’s incoming Mjolnir have my curiosity and all that unknown ahaa candy, so looking forward to the event. Any good tips on navigating it?

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 410
My hotel is booked, flight paid for and I will be there!! First time to SoCal and California in general. I'm looking forward to meeting many new people...oh and listening to new gear too 😁🎧🤟

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #25 of 410
My hotel is booked, flight paid for and I will be there!! First time to SoCal and California in general. I'm looking forward to meeting many new people...oh and listening to new gear too 😁🎧🤟
CanJam SoCal is definitely going to be a bigger event than Chicago with more vendors and people as well.

Ditto to thaslaya. Never been to a CanJam and after many years of non-headphone kit / tech listening, I got bitten by the headphone bug. ZMF and Schiit’s incoming Mjolnir have my curiosity and all that unknown ahaa candy, so looking forward to the event. Any good tips on navigating it?
The biggest tip is get there early and stay late and take some breaks as well. It is going to be crowded and the ZMF booth or room will probably be the most crowded as it always is. Be patient. Make a list of what you really want to hear and try to take care of that early and then hit it again when the crowd settles down later in the afternoon if you found them intriguing. It is a really great community and almost all of us like to talk about our gear and music so talk to others along the way. Most of all have a good time and talk with the vendors, and ask questions as they all love what they do and are happy to answer questions. Before I forget say hey to the Head-Fi team another bunch of really good people as well they put on a great event.

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #26 of 410
The biggest tip is get there early and stay late and take some breaks as well. It is going to be crowded and the ZMF booth or room will probably be the most crowded as it always is. Be patient. Make a list of what you really want to hear and try to take care of that early and then hit it again when the crowd settles down later in the afternoon if you found them intriguing. It is a really great community and almost all of us like to talk about our gear and music so talk to others along the way. Most of all have a good time and talk with the vendors, and ask questions as they all love what they do and are happy to answer questions. Before I forget say hey to the Head-Fi team another bunch of really good people as well they put on a great event.

I'm thinking of a check list for phones that I definitely want to listen but I'm wondering what I should bring with me.

The primary things I was thinking were my phone, my Qudelix-5k, some cables and maybe a set of cans so I can demo other DACs or something.

Is there anything else that newbies should consider bringing along?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #27 of 410
I read a blog that recommended bringing a portable charger for your phone or dap so it stays charged

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 410
I read a blog that recommended bringing a portable charger for your phone or dap so it stays charged
Good call on that, too.

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #29 of 410
I'm thinking of a check list for phones that I definitely want to listen but I'm wondering what I should bring with me.

The primary things I was thinking were my phone, my Qudelix-5k, some cables and maybe a set of cans so I can demo other DACs or something.

Is there anything else that newbies should consider bringing along?
Bring a set of headphones you know well, and a bunch of adapters so you can connect them to whatever you want to test. And also adapters to connect headphones to your own source (ie your Qudelix-5k). So many times it happens that you cannot try something because of a missing adapter.

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #30 of 410
Bring a set of headphones you know well, and a bunch of adapters so you can connect them to whatever you want to test. And also adapters to connect headphones to your own source (ie your Qudelix-5k). So many times it happens that you cannot try something because of a missing adapter.

Was thinking of taking my Dan Clark Noire or my JM set. So, 3.5mm cable and a 1/4" - should I bring a balanced 2.5mm or a 4.4mm adapter as well? Any other adapters that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back