CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #136 of 488
Can't knock it until I hear it but it's a wild proposition for me to think the best pairing with a $17,000 amp is a $200 headphone.
It's actually not too surprising. CD900st is a legend in Japan. It's been in production since the late 80s and if you look at masskobo's site, they also make a lot of studio products. CD900st has personally beat a lot of more expensive headphones for me so this puts masskobo on the map for me. Imagine having so much confidence in your product that you would bring a $200 headphone to show off in a room full of "flagship" headphones.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #137 of 488
They did not. He said he has to get through the next 4 months of backordered launch editions first. So I would assume we are looking at quite some time. I truly hope he doesn’t raise the price though. He stated if it did happen that it would be due to his countries new tax regulations. So here is to hoping that doesn’t happen and that the new materials give the same sonic result as the launch edition. :fingers_crossed:
Thanks for the info!

By new materials are you talking about v2 of the stock Mira cable or was it mentioned that the internal wiring of the Storm is changing?

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #138 of 488
By any chance do you know who that rep was? The weird thing is that Dan is one of the nicest person you’ll meet in the industry but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen one of their reps be somewhat abrasive. I suspect it to be the same person and an anomaly though.
Dan Clark seems like a good guy, you’re right. He’s and his team are definitely hard working, and have made huge contributions to the small company space.
👍

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #139 of 488
If someone can try these, I'd like to read comparisons between
- Heddphone V2
- Austrian audio composer
- Modhouse Tungsten
Heddphone V2 and AA composer are probably the most similar to each other. Both have a more mid focused sound. That said the AA has much better dynamics and imaging.

The Heddphone V2 has slightly better staging and detail to the AA.

That said I think the Heddphone V2 is the more relaxing listen if that makes sense while the AA has a faster response. (The amp that was paired with the AA also has a faster transient mode which made it slightly more snappy.) ultimately I felt that the Heddphone V2 was almost there, it lacked bass which I mentioned to the staff there and they mentioned they’ve been getting that a lot but they designed it more for mixing.

Overall they were both very pleasant to listen too.

The Modhouse tungesten was very interesting. I think it definitely punched way above its price tag, that being said it is extremely detailed with a good amount of bass. I did however get more time with the double sided than the single sided.

For my ears I found the double sided to be way to bloomy on the load end. But it had much better detail.
The single sided magnets I found much more pleasant had less of a treble peak, and I personally would probably buy those.
I think if you like the hifiman sound signature you’ll love these.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #140 of 488
I have not had a chance to check out the Modhouse yet but the Austrian Audio Composer is really, really freaking good; it's a toss up between the Heddphone and the Composer - Heddphone feels wider with their soundstage but I think Composer has more impact on their bass.

But I'll also defer to more seasoned reviewers.
This is exactly how I felt about them too

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #141 of 488
I had a similar experience with DCA. I unplugged the iPad to connect my iphone and they literally freaked out and announced to the whole room not to do that because apparently the network could go down. The Expanse was a headphone I was really looking forward to but I just got up and left, not going to tolerate being humiliated in front of a whole room. Even before that I felt they were rude. There’s too many good headphone companies out there and the last thing I’m expecting to deal with when looking at a $4,000 headphone.
Ironically I had the women at the booth get upset when I plugged in an expanse and said she needs to do that. Pretty counter intuitive when litterally every other brand out there did not care what you grabbed. It soured the experience for me as well. It was the first I was able to hear their headphones, and I actually enjoyed them but I didn’t want to even ask them for more details because of how they were acting.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #142 of 488
Haven’t been to CanJam in years. It was fun.
Problems: most booths used the same music selections which were very limited. When trying to search for a specific song it would not play.
When I asked the Clark Audio rep about it he told me not in a nice way: this is a trade show not your home!
How rude. DCA needs to teach their reps some manners and customer service.
Sennheisers reps on the other hand as well as Meze were very polite and helpful.
Sennheiser did allow to plug in your own device to listen to music you are familiar which is nice.

Stax X9000: I liked it but not much more than the 009S which I already have.
Meze Elite: I was surprised! Great sound. Clean, enjoyable, big soundstage and nice bass and highs. No sibilances or edges. Thinking about it. Liked it more than the Expanse.
DCA Expanse: almost as enjoyable as the Meze. Experience soured by their floor reps.
Hey, so this "DCA rep" wasn't from DCA. He is a dealer and was assisting the DCA rep to try to explain that the Internet at this hotel actively blocked streaming music, so anything they have available has to be downloaded ahead of time. Thus, unless you already have your own music downloaded, you have to choose from the set of songs they've already downloaded.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #143 of 488
best part was being able to walk up to the headamp room and just listen to x9000+bhse and he6+cfa3, unlike sennhoiser who needs some exclusivity sign up list for the he1. Even headphones.com had an aperio without the need for any reserve slot system that fills up immediately

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #144 of 488
Now that's it's over and I'm home again, shout out to all the people behind the scenes that work to make this happen! I always look forward to coming to the event and having a great time listening to new gear and making friends in the hobby.

Also: I'd like to thank whoever does the shirts. They're by far the most comfortable commemorative shirts I've gotten from any concert, convention, or event. Love the design for this year's shirt!

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #145 of 488
Still, there are better ways to communicate that besides what happened. Doubly so for the actual Dan Clark rep on this very thread.
I had a similar experience I mentioned before about the DCA rep telling me this was a trade show not my home. Perhaps he was not a DCA rep? The lady making fun of the older gentleman that showed up with a CD asking for a CD player sure was.
To make my point they really need to learn better customer service. They sure lost one.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #146 of 488
We had a great time at CanJam SoCal 23. Thank you CanJam Global and Head-Fi.org .

Here is our picture show report and our Best Of Show winner!

https://www.headfonia.com/blog-head-fi-canjam-socal-2023/
20230930_155659.jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #147 of 488
Hey, so this "DCA rep" wasn't from DCA. He is a dealer and was assisting the DCA rep to try to explain that the Internet at this hotel actively blocked streaming music, so anything they have available has to be downloaded ahead of time. Thus, unless you already have your own music downloaded, you have to choose from the set of songs they've already downloaded.
The One! Was fun hanging out and chatting about all the crazy goodness this weekend!

Edit: and thanks for letting me take a tour thru the history of 64audio in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #148 of 488
This is the most uppish response from someone associated with a brand. Your customers perceptions should be of utmost consideration. For you to blame and call their experience an aspersion is totally ridiculous and disrespectful to your clientele. And for the record you are casting aspersions in your poor response. If this is Dan Clark Audio way of handling customer service, everyone should steer clear!

Feedback should always be considered and taken as an opportunity to grow and excel instead of blaming the potential customer.
LMAO is this becoming a running joke? EVERY single year there's corroborating stories of someone being rude at the DCA table, then Mr speakers comes to the thread to do what he does best. I'm sure you can look up last year's, and the pre COVID thread, and find similar happenings.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #149 of 488
best part was being able to walk up to the headamp room and just listen to x9000+bhse and he6+cfa3, unlike sennhoiser who needs some exclusivity sign up list for the he1. Even headphones.com had an aperio without the need for any reserve slot system that fills up immediately

You know why Sennheiser had signups? People wanted to hear it in a quiet environment. I guarantee it would have been a much less pleasing event if they were just in the main event room. Even Warwick’s soundbooth wasn’t perfect conditions, though a fantastic option to dramatically reduce sound from the rest of the room.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #150 of 488
You know why Sennheiser had signups? People wanted to hear it in a quiet environment. I guarantee it would have been a much less pleasing event if they were just in the main event room. Even Warwick’s soundbooth wasn’t perfect conditions, though a fantastic option to dramatically reduce sound from the rest of the room.
DCA, dCS, ZMF, and someone else I forgot had side rooms that were much quieter. Although I didn't actually end up going in any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back