CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #106 of 488
Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

Day 2!

We're looking forward to meeting more of you and hearing your impressions of the dCS range, including dCS Lina, Bartók APEX Headphone DAC & Rossini APEX DAC paired with the Lina Headphone Amplifier & Lina Master Clock.

Join us in the Marina Del Rey Room up until 5pm!

dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #110 of 488
The headphones I didn’t like were the Grell ones, too sharp for me, but it think because of where the driver is positioned results will vary depending on who wears them. Some people seem to like them.
The TWS1, the Heavys ... and then ......

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #111 of 488
Going live in a minute or so!

My apologies for ruining Cee Tee's surprise. I genuinely had no idea there was another product in the works for November.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #114 of 488
Bit late to the punch on my Day 1 impressions as I functionally passed out once I got home for the day.

Had a great first day yesterday, was super fun getting to talk and meet with some of yall during the show!

Noted things: I am quite the basshead. All listening was done through my Shanling M6 Pro AKM. Unless otherwise noted I found the universals quite uncomfortable, and I don't always get good seals owing to my ear anatomy.

FatFreq Scarlet:
Absolutely egregious bass cannon, so incredibly fun. Genuinely some of the best bass I've heard for just rocking out. Detail and texture aren't all there relative to other sets in the price range ($600 or so), but the bass is so incredibly well controlled for its extremely high level that it's a fair trade off imo.

Maestro SE:
The cleaner, better detailed cousin to the minis. Nothing too egregious in the bass department but still incredibly fun to listen to. The treble was able to fairly accurately get certain textures across and it did fairly well on some of my most demanding tracks.

Empire Ears Odin:
Definitely more resolving than the Maestro SE. Bass feels quite weak after listening to the FatFreq sets, though I think I get a worse seal off of Empire Ears universals. Not my thing, though I can somewhat understand the appeal.

Raven:
Stronger Separation than Odin. Stronger bass, more physical rumble. Just generally more "solid" or physical sounding than Odin. The physical sensation of the bass on certain songs was incredible. Almost all the way there on pulling nice texture out of the treble. The Raven did extremely well on some of the more demanding tracks I have. One of if not the favorite set I've heard.

Campfire Cascada:
Fairly bassy, doesn't seem to extend all the way down (nope, they do, just more impact focused than portraying that deep rumble). Fairly nice, though they feel a bit fatiguing on both ends of the spectrum. Isolate a lot better than other unis.

Supermoon:
Very deep fit. Incredibly detailed and good at pulling out texture. Can feel a bit too analytical and hot. Bass is good and tight but doesn't have much fun factor despite the somewhat elevated amount. They don't particularly do anything wrong, but I just feel kinda bored listening to them. For the price they are however, the detail they can pull is exceptional.

Bonneville:
Also a super deep fit, Jesus. Very fun and enjoyable set. Bass is better than Supermoon. Very well balanced (by my basshead standards), nothing particularly stood out though I do really enjoy just listening to them. (The borderline custom fit is probably helping a lot with the bass being this good). One of those sets where nothing stands out as being truly exceptional but I just absolutely love the experience of listening to them, almost a steal at their price.

64 Audio Volur:
Universal that's actually tolerable! Good ole 64 Audio Treble magic.

Trifecta:
Actually comfortable?? I think there's a peak somewhere bothering me. That bass lingers, very fun. Honestly just so odd, a very hard to describe set. I can understand why this one's so polarizing, nothing else like it.

Fir Electron:
another usableish uiem. Unique treble, solid bass. something feels a little bit off.
bass is deep and rumbly. Solid single DD, not particularly my thing though.

Viking Ragnar:
There's certainly treble there alright. Quite bass-light and sharp as far as my preferences go, though I could certainly see people who like brighter tunings enjoy it. Does extremely well on complex and demanding tracks, though can fall apart when asked to pull together texture across the full spectrum (the bass and treble don't always seem to connect nicely).

Elysian Annihilator 2023:
These hold their title for a reason. My god, do these sound way better amped off of my DAP than they did off of my Fiio BTR5 last year. Its also likely a preference for the 2023 than the 2021 model. Definitely a bit fatiguing. Bass genuinely works now. They do better at detail retrieval than any other set I tried in most cases, but do get a bit overwhelmed with two of my most difficult tracks.

Tia Trio:
Still got the treble magic and their unique solidity. Portrays texture like nothing else. Always been a personal favorite and they continue to be so.

Nostalgia Camelot:
Glittery? Treble. Solid bass, takes a backseat to the rest of the presentation. Actively shifts my focus towards the treble and vocals without it seeming super forward. Quite good at maintaining background details though you have to actively focus to notice them.
Thanks for these great impressions, especially those for Campfire. Bonneville sounds worth a drive!

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #116 of 488
For day 2, we'll have a little more information to share about our CFA3 and Grand Caymen amplifiers, including a rough estimate for delivery and shipping; so please don't hesitate to stop by, have a listen, and ask whatever questions you may have.
@HeadAmpTeam Anything you can share here for those who aren't attending?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #117 of 488
N30LE however does deserve such a moniker. All hail The Incredible N30LE.
🙇‍♂️ I’m not worthy!!

I couldn’t agree more! This SQ of this DAP should have competitors scrambling.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #118 of 488
CanJam 9/30/2023 I
As you move from the main floor to the side rooms, you'll see bigger amps, bigger headphones, and more seats occupied for a longer time due to the quieter listening environments. It's a good way to take a break from looking at each row of products in the main floor to give your ears a rest from that room's higher noise level. At the end of the day for me, was it worth the money? Yes, because I found a few new products that make me happy to listen to, and it was a nice weekend break despite light showers now and then outside.
Posted all these photos for those who couldn't make it or just forgot to take a photo of that booth that had that product they wanted to look up and buy later.
I do miss the raffles CanJam used to have, but hopefully that'll all return in the future as the economy picks up and more vendors return.
Thank you so much for sharing, all the photos and your stream of consciousness commentary, feels as if I were right there :beerchug:

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #119 of 488
The headphones I didn’t like were the Grell ones, too sharp for me, but it think because of where the driver is positioned results will vary depending on who wears them. Some people seem to like them.
I think that the issue with the Grell may have been the amp and DAC it was attached to (or at least the pairing I herd it on). The staging was interesting to me, I think due to the driver positioning. But the SMSL amp was not helping out on the sharpness so I’ll hope to hear it on something else someday. They wouldn’t tell me rough pricing on these, and my opinion of them may change if they’re $500 vs $1500.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #120 of 488
Headphone impressions for headphones that I tried for the first time this weekend. In order of personal preference. I heard plenty more headphones, but none moved the needle enough, good or bad, to be mentioned here.
  • ZMF New "portable" prototype 'Bokeh' (Pronounced-'Boca')- This was the best new headphone I heard. Zach said this prototype was most likely the final tuning. The warmest ZMF with the best overall tuning. Warm/ bass boosted/ yet balanced. All day comfort, light weight. ZERO sibilance. LCP driver. Best tuned closed back at any price for me. E-MU Teak bass but cleaner and smoother treble. I will own these when they go on sale in December. Est- $900-$1000 80ohm 103 db sensitivity.
  • Arya Organic- Should be called Super Arya. Best overall Hifiman (for me). Bigger/better soundstage than HD800? Yes. Headphone value of the year. I love this headphone.
  • Atrium Closed- Good to great bass . Way better stock tuning than my Eikon. Standard, very good ZMF stage. Fully optimized Eikon?
  • MM100- Maybe the best tuned Audeze. Nice, low frequency, high quality bass shelf. Not small stage. Not big. Maybe a little peaky 5/6 k? Best Planar under Arya/LCD-2 price range.
  • HE-1- Bass is the best bass of any Estat I have heard (CRBN, SRX9000, SR009S, SRL700). Stage is average size globe shaped like an Audeze, but very good for positional accuracy.
  • Drop+Grell- Very aesthetically pleasing prototype. Sounds very spacious. Did I mention I love the design? Maybe a very promising HD800 evolution. We will have to wait for the final build and tuning to find out.
  • D8000 Pro. Very analog sounding planar. Doesn't sound like a planar, sounds like a hybrid. Great bass and note weight. Lower mids tuning is off. Lacks air?
  • Meze 109 Pro. The best Meze easily for me. All day comfort. Sounds good with everything. Evolved HD6XX?
  • Heddphone 2- Not for me. Different for sure. Bass sounds a little poofy/pillowy? . Nice sense of space though. Stage is track appropriate. The new headband design is amazing though. Super comfortable.
  • Austrian Audio- good Harmanish tuning. Great build quality and comfort. Average stage. Good bass. Smooth mids and highs. Maybe too smooth? Highs lack detail. Overpriced though. Dramatically overpriced. Build quality is $1200 territory. Sound Quality is $700 territory (these are in the same vicinity or just below the Meze 109 Pro). Very nice guys though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back