CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #121 of 488
A fun show as always… it’s great to be seeing folk again…

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #122 of 488
For your information this was not an employee or staff. Why he stepped in I don’t know but before you cast aspersions you might want to check their badges.
This is the most uppish response from someone associated with a brand. Your customers perceptions should be of utmost consideration. For you to blame and call their experience an aspersion is totally ridiculous and disrespectful to your clientele. And for the record you are casting aspersions in your poor response. If this is Dan Clark Audio way of handling customer service, everyone should steer clear!

Feedback should always be considered and taken as an opportunity to grow and excel instead of blaming the potential customer.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #123 of 488
This is the most uppish response from someone associated with a brand. Your customers perceptions should be of utmost consideration. For you to blame and call their experience an aspersion is totally ridiculous and disrespectful to your clientele. And for the record you are casting aspersions in your poor response. If this is Dan Clark Audio way of handling customer service, everyone should steer clear!

Feedback should always be considered and taken as an opportunity to grow and excel instead of blaming the potential customer.
Wow. That was ugly and disrespectful from the Dan Clark Audio rep. Very disappointing response.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #124 of 488

Despite the cliche that the customers is always right, I agree with Dan Clark. At least I would make sure it’s ok to interfere with the DCA setup before I plug in my own source.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #125 of 488
Despite the cliche that the customers is always right, I agree with Dan Clark. At least I would make sure it’s ok to interfere with the DCA setup before I plug in my own source.
Still, there are better ways to communicate that besides what happened. Doubly so for the actual Dan Clark rep on this very thread.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #126 of 488
Even if Dan is in the right about it, his response was pretty bad. Came off very snooty and condescending imo

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #127 of 488
Can't knock it until I hear it but it's a wild proposition for me to think the best pairing with a $17,000 amp is a $200 headphone.
I know another manufacturer who uses a standard headphone for tuning and then uses the high end ones and they just sound all the better. Their comment to me is I know the SONY R-10 would sound fantastic but not that many have it.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #128 of 488
Agreed. I don't want to completely derail this thread, but:

1) It's always a good idea to ask permission before disconnecting a vendor's equipment at a show.
2) The poster lodging the complaint defamed DCA without bothering to verify that the person he took issue with was actually associated with the company.
3) Dan Clark's response could perhaps have been more cordial, but I can understand his being annoyed under the circumstances.

Now (I hope), back to our regularly scheduled programming...........

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #129 of 488
Poor woman turned around at the wrong time lol.
LoL that is my wife. She is just very pregnant and not amused with my I think I will buy this one next comment at every booth we visited. :laughing: If you want to save money on your hobby definitely recommend bringing your pregnant wife to CanJam… You’ll leave buying nothing I promise. :laughing:

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #131 of 488
Day 2:
Was great talking to all of you, special shout-out to all the people running the Bloom booth for putting up with me both days and to the Water cooler members I chatted with throughout the show. The social aspect adds so much to the fun of the show and this hobby.

I came into this today with the goal of finally playing around with sources and cables today. Unless otherwise specified, Earphones are my custom Bravado MkIIs, and the source is my Shanling M6 Pro AKM. I came into this not knowing whether to expect much difference given the sheer amount of debate around Cables and sources. As can be seen, I definitely believe now haha. I was surprised at both the differences and just how much I do not like a silver cable on my set in the slightest, way too bright for me.

Eletech Illiad:
Wow, the soundstage became better, some things were able to just float in space. Way too bright

Eletech Ode to Laura:
Texture, oh my. Holy **** this is insane with Harsh Noise. The texture this pulls is genuinely better in some ways than higher end sets for Noise. Bit more mid-bass focused than I like for edm.

Ode to Laura + SE300:
Stuff seems to float a bit more, better separated. Man is the volume scaling nicer on A&K. Bass seems better than my M6 Pro. A bit brighter/harsher than I like. Definitely more detailed than my M6 Pro. Feels like it falls apart a bit with harsh noise.

Ode to Laura + SP3000:
Blacker Background than SE300, Less harsh treble. More solid bass. Larger soundstage. Some things sound very different with the extra detail/texture. Less congested than SE300 with noise.

Ode to Laura + DX320 Max Ti:
Harder hitting bass than the SP3000, less textured though. Fairly sparkly treble relative to the SP3000, not bright/obnoxious though. More forward than the SP3000. That bass HITS. The sound encourages listening loud, though it takes almost no volume to get there haha. Very physical/solid sounding. Soundstage closer in than the SP3000 and SE300. Sub-bass is very fun.

Ode to Laura + Raven + DX320 Max Ti:
Very intense, extremely fun listen. Geez are the Ravens large. Insane extension on either side.

Code 23:
Bassier than Ode to Laura, much smaller stage. Some details definitely get a bit overpowered in the mix by the bass on more complex tracks. Treble not muted or put behind, but definitely not the focus. Ergonomics better than I though they'd be, having a single coaxial wire per ear makes some of the weight/size feel more manageable. More impact/rumble focused on bass than portraying texture. If you like big impactful bass and a generally intimate sound, this cable is for you. A more sub- than mid-bass focused copper cable.

Ares S 8W:
More mid bass focused than the Code 23. Honestly feels heavier and less ergonomic than the Code 23, likely the stiffness of the 23 somewhat holding up it's own weight. Significantly smaller stage than Code 23 + OTL (it is way cheaper than both so not super surprised haha). Somewhat the idea of a quintessential copper cable but refined, treble is definitely good though not the focus. Can get a little bit congested on more complex sections. Very focused on bass impact over texture and rumble.

Eros S Anniversary Edition:
Tried primarily for the perfect aesthetic match with my CIEM Bravado's. Just look at the combo haha.
20231001_154426.jpg
Significantly larger stage than the Ares S 8W. More treble focus than the Ares but not sibilant or obnoxiously bright. Gets less congested than the Ares but still struggles to maintain definition a bit with more complex passages. Much less forward bass, though it does better at maintaining bass all the way down. Stage is utterly gone on Pulse Demon. Does better than Ares on Minotauros.

Cleo II 8 Wire:
Better than the other Effect Audio Cables with noise. Still gets a bit congested. Not aggressively bright. Bass almost too tight, I want a bit more fun. Honestly just not particularly impressed/interested in this pairing. Nothing wrong, just not my thing.

Fusion 1:
A little bit of the silver fatigue I don't like, not drastic but it's there.

Chiron 8W:
Silver Fatigue. Doesn't get nearly as congested as their lower tier cables. Quite good space. Not my thing. Good bass. Lots of texture and details

Show favorites:
Empire Ears Raven
Campfire Bonneville
Annihilator 2023
Ode to Laura
SP3000 (though I didn't get to listen to any other flagship Daps, so this one just gets the spot)

Had a ton of fun, hope to see yall again next year!
20231001_181104.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #132 of 488
Did the Subtonic team share when the regular edition would launch by any chance?
They did not. He said he has to get through the next 4 months of backordered launch editions first. So I would assume we are looking at quite some time. I truly hope he doesn’t raise the price though. He stated if it did happen that it would be due to his countries new tax regulations. So here is to hoping that doesn’t happen and that the new materials give the same sonic result as the launch edition. :fingers_crossed:

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #133 of 488

This is a fantastic response and I couldn't agree more. DCA, customers aren't always right, but customers are ALWAYS customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back