CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #91 of 488
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #92 of 488
That is our upcoming cfa3 amp, based on Kevin Gilmore's best/powerful solid state design! :) unfortunately I am sick this week and it was challenging enough to just try to get near-production level cfa3 amps out to the show plus one for the Bloom Audio room. We have the previews of the cfa3 Deluxe Edition in the HeadAmp room and the cfa3 Standard Edition in the Bloom room. Glad to hear you noticed the difference with the Susvara..that is my experience as well. At the power levels needed to properly drive Susvara, its really noticeable.
Hi Justin,

What price are you targeting with the upcoming CFA3 amp?
Will you offer custom color faceplate option like in case of GS-X amp?

Thank you

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #94 of 488
We listened to them together AIC 10, as good as I’ve heard them. Glad we shared that special moment buddy! And, yea, we both know @HiFiHawaii808 .. he’s getting a pair or three :wink:

(will share very detailed notes on these headphones in a separate review, hopefully will complete this week; been taking extra care with it over weeks of listening to get it right; to be continued)
I second that. The bass did open up a lot with a good source but I also agree with 04gto. It was the biggest disappointment of the show for me. I almost blind bought one based on all the hype a year ago. Very glad I didn’t. I thought even when properly driven 04gto’s description of average stage with a plastic tonality was fair. The bass does significantly get more impact but it never one’s wowed me. Subsonic Storm stole the show for me. If he wasn’t 4 months backordered and apparently changing the materials and possibly upping the price even more for the next batch it would be an instant buy for me.
I'll agree. Overall it's nice, but not really to my taste. Treble separation from the mid and bass just isn't there for me. Talked with @HiFiHawaii808 about it and he said to try another cable such as the Liquid Links Martini. @JordonEA offered to switch out cables but it was the end of day and the show was shutting down. If I have time today, I will. BTW, I was using a Fiio M11 Plus LTD.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #95 of 488
I'll agree. Overall it's nice, but not really to my taste. Treble separation from the mid and bass just isn't there for me. Talked with @HiFiHawaii808 about it and he said to try another cable such as the Liquid Links Martini. @JordonEA offered to switch out cables but it was the end of day and the show was shutting down. If I have time today, I will. BTW, I was using a Fiio M11 Plus LTD.
Liquid Links Martini is the default cable, wasn't it the cable available at the Elysian stand? 🤔

Edit: BTW power output of Fiio M11 Plus LTD isn't enough to drive them properly.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #96 of 488
Ready for day two! Come check out the Arcadia (ZMF x JDS amp) and the Bokeh (new low impedance oval zmf) as well!

20231001_084731.jpg20231001_084748.jpg20231001_084828.jpg20231001_085057.jpg20231001_085316.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #97 of 488
Hi. I am following this thread from EU. I am interested of information and feedback for the two CFA 3 versions. I know there are some differences of components. I want to
know about any differences in the sound character between them. Firstly I would use the amp with my Expanse headphones. I also want to know something about the
prices. I really hope you could share more information about this for day 2.
We enjoyed expanse on CFA3 and so we're confident you will too!

@justin w. will have the best insights there. Regarding pricing standard is set to be ~$4,000 and Deluxe around ~$5,000. Having heard both, we can say the sound character is the same, with the deluxe having just a bit more nuance.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #98 of 488
PSX_20231001_084620-01.jpeg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I know I have a few more than that to express how impressive the Omega by DMS is; for those who've also heard it, what did you think?

Attachments

• PSX_20231001_084620.jpg
    PSX_20231001_084620.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 0
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #99 of 488
Bit late to the punch on my Day 1 impressions as I functionally passed out once I got home for the day.

Had a great first day yesterday, was super fun getting to talk and meet with some of yall during the show!

Noted things: I am quite the basshead. All listening was done through my Shanling M6 Pro AKM. Unless otherwise noted I found the universals quite uncomfortable, and I don't always get good seals owing to my ear anatomy.

FatFreq Scarlet:
Absolutely egregious bass cannon, so incredibly fun. Genuinely some of the best bass I've heard for just rocking out. Detail and texture aren't all there relative to other sets in the price range ($600 or so), but the bass is so incredibly well controlled for its extremely high level that it's a fair trade off imo.

Maestro SE:
The cleaner, better detailed cousin to the minis. Nothing too egregious in the bass department but still incredibly fun to listen to. The treble was able to fairly accurately get certain textures across and it did fairly well on some of my most demanding tracks.

Empire Ears Odin:
Definitely more resolving than the Maestro SE. Bass feels quite weak after listening to the FatFreq sets, though I think I get a worse seal off of Empire Ears universals. Not my thing, though I can somewhat understand the appeal.

Raven:
Stronger Separation than Odin. Stronger bass, more physical rumble. Just generally more "solid" or physical sounding than Odin. The physical sensation of the bass on certain songs was incredible. Almost all the way there on pulling nice texture out of the treble. The Raven did extremely well on some of the more demanding tracks I have. One of if not the favorite set I've heard.

Campfire Cascada:
Fairly bassy, doesn't seem to extend all the way down (nope, they do, just more impact focused than portraying that deep rumble). Fairly nice, though they feel a bit fatiguing on both ends of the spectrum. Isolate a lot better than other unis.

Supermoon:
Very deep fit. Incredibly detailed and good at pulling out texture. Can feel a bit too analytical and hot. Bass is good and tight but doesn't have much fun factor despite the somewhat elevated amount. They don't particularly do anything wrong, but I just feel kinda bored listening to them. For the price they are however, the detail they can pull is exceptional.

Bonneville:
Also a super deep fit, Jesus. Very fun and enjoyable set. Bass is better than Supermoon. Very well balanced (by my basshead standards), nothing particularly stood out though I do really enjoy just listening to them. (The borderline custom fit is probably helping a lot with the bass being this good). One of those sets where nothing stands out as being truly exceptional but I just absolutely love the experience of listening to them, almost a steal at their price.

64 Audio Volur:
Universal that's actually tolerable! Good ole 64 Audio Treble magic.

Trifecta:
Actually comfortable?? I think there's a peak somewhere bothering me. That bass lingers, very fun. Honestly just so odd, a very hard to describe set. I can understand why this one's so polarizing, nothing else like it.

Fir Electron:
another usableish uiem. Unique treble, solid bass. something feels a little bit off.
bass is deep and rumbly. Solid single DD, not particularly my thing though.

Viking Ragnar:
There's certainly treble there alright. Quite bass-light and sharp as far as my preferences go, though I could certainly see people who like brighter tunings enjoy it. Does extremely well on complex and demanding tracks, though can fall apart when asked to pull together texture across the full spectrum (the bass and treble don't always seem to connect nicely).

Elysian Annihilator 2023:
These hold their title for a reason. My god, do these sound way better amped off of my DAP than they did off of my Fiio BTR5 last year. Its also likely a preference for the 2023 than the 2021 model. Definitely a bit fatiguing. Bass genuinely works now. They do better at detail retrieval than any other set I tried in most cases, but do get a bit overwhelmed with two of my most difficult tracks.

Tia Trio:
Still got the treble magic and their unique solidity. Portrays texture like nothing else. Always been a personal favorite and they continue to be so.

Nostalgia Camelot:
Glittery? Treble. Solid bass, takes a backseat to the rest of the presentation. Actively shifts my focus towards the treble and vocals without it seeming super forward. Quite good at maintaining background details though you have to actively focus to notice them.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #100 of 488
CJ SoCal 2023 Show Report Part 1:
This was the best time I had at a show. The highlights were not the gear however, it was meeting the fellow Watercoolers and the exchanging of ideas. @Rockwell75 has created a stellar community with the Watercooler group, I am privileged to be part of it. Everyone is kind, enthusiastic, patient and eager to try new things. I was joking with @HiFiHawaii808 that the Watercooler group could create their own show with the variety of gears many of us have. If gear gets you in the door of this hobby, the Watercooler community delights you to come back.

Cayin/UM Amber Pearl (best IEM in show):
Much has been discussed about the N30LE. However the Amber Pearl IEM has been underrepresented until now, I suspect this CJ show will have a few headfiers enthralled with the Amber Pearl IEM. If we are to compare to Mentor as a baseline then Amber Pearl adds three new elements:

1. Delicate details of ambiance and fine note decay (likely EST's helping this)
2. Tuning swings closer toward Mason series
3. Bass delivery alters from subwoofer presentation to tighter and controlled presentation (less subbass)

These three elements add up to pure emotion conveyance, to the point I was in tears listening to female vocals. I could hear the strain in the voice, while it retained vibrancy with a more sustained decay. I could hear more air in the recording. UM hit Amber Pearl out of the park, and its a shame it's currently trapped in a 13k DAP combo package. In addition, it would be beneficial for UM to release Amber Pearl with a better color (sapphire/azure eg). This is a stunner.

FA654670-0C6F-4460-BC80-A0A9425C08A2_1_102_o.jpeg

Cayin N30LE (best DAP in show):
I have had a on/off again relationship with Cayin releases with Cayin N8 being the best DAP I've heard from Cayin by a large margin. You can imagine my delight when Cayin announced N30LE goes back to N8's tunings. Cayin has finally refined and captured 'addictive sound' with N30LE. This DAP has the best 'all rounder' sound I've used in any player, and Hyper Mode takes 'vivid/engagement' factor up a notch. It works great with every genre I've tried on it. The best way I can describe it is:
  • more forward but textured
  • detailed yet not fatiguing
  • Perfect balanced of smooth yet engaging (in between Hugo 2 and SP3K tonality)
To me, it seems N8ii was produced by engineers insistent on capturing every detail regardless of 'musicality'. N30LE seems to be a collaboration between the bench engineers and the music lover. This is Cayin's best house sound to date imho and represents a large step forward from the Cayin N8.

Given the early production issues with this device, I would keep an eye on how successive batches of N30LE's fare out. While Cayin has provided an excellent extended warranty, futzing with repairs overseas is not ideal. If possible, I would like to see Cayin release a non Ti variant with a thoroughly tested new/improved circuit. I've never cared for Cayin's marketing, N8ii's head line of "The Incredible N8ii" had my eyes roll every time. N30LE however does deserve such a moniker. All hail The Incredible N30LE.

Mass Kobo 465 (w/ Sony MDR-CD900ST) (best :astonished: in show):
I know two folks who've ordered a 465, both have two things in common:
  • They are in relentless pursuit of the best and demand nothing else
  • Both were floored at what they heard in the Mass Kobo 465
After lunch, I rushed to Mass Kobo's booth to find an older gentlemen CanJam attendee listening to a...humble...headphone on a 17k amplifier. Looking around in exasperation, wondering why such people waste time with a lopsided pairing, I noticed something peculiar (on the banner behind the booth). See if you can find it:

IMG_1722.jpeg

Yes, it seems Masuda-san included a photo of what seemed the same cheap headphone in MK 465 marketing material. I looked back and forth at the older gentleman using the amp and back at the promotional image, it was indeed the same. I struck up conversation with the attendee and I learned this Sony headphone is what Masuda-san used to tune the MK amplifier. Intrigued, I gave it a listen.

I enjoyed this more than DMP Z1 + MDR Z1R. Oh. And the DAC Masuda-san used, was a Topping D50s. A Topping.

This is the sound I've been searching for my whole life. It sounded so...correct. My demo was only 10 minutes fwiw, but I can't unhear what I heard. I need to rethink some things...

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

It was recommended to use the Rupert Neve Headphone Amplifier with the Sony CD900ST, if a MK465 isn't in the cards. The gentleman I spoke to uses the CD900 for the majority of his listening and stated if the MK465 gets you 100% there, then the Rupert Neve gets you 90% there.

I will post an additional CJ Report later today, including some lovely experiences on the show floor. But thought I would get the 'best stuff' done first for those still at the Show. Best Regards.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #101 of 488
Where does that new prototype sit in relation to MM and Mest 3?
It sounded more in line with the Mest 3 to me. It's got that fuller sound that a bone conductor driver provides, at the sacrifice of some detail. When I asked, he confirmed there is indeed a bone conductor driver. It sounded like a different flavor of the Mest 3, not necessarily better or worse, IMO. The Mentor was more refined, greater clarity and separation in the image with a more defined bass. The Mentor sounded... more expensive (LOL) than either the Mest 3 and the prototype.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #102 of 488
I know two folks who've ordered a 465, both have two things in common:
  • They are in relentless pursuit of the best and demand nothing else
  • Both were floored at what they heard in the Mass Kobo 465
After lunch, I rushed to Mass Kobo's booth to find an older gentlemen CanJam attendee listening to a...humble...headphone on a 17k amplifier. Looking around in exasperation, wondering why such people waste time with a lopsided pairing, I noticed something peculiar (on the banner behind the booth). See if you can find it:

Yes, it seems Masuda-san included a photo of what seemed the same cheap headphone in MK 465 marketing material. I looked back and forth at the older gentleman using the amp and back at the promotional image, it was indeed the same. I struck up conversation with the attendee and I learned this Sony headphone is what Masuda-san used to tune the MK amplifier. Intrigued, I gave it a listen.

I enjoyed this more than DMP Z1 + MDR Z1R. Oh. And the DAC Masuda-san used, was a Topping D50s. A Topping.

This is the sound I've been searching for my whole life. It sounded so...correct. My demo was only 10 minutes fwiw, but I can't unhear what I heard. I need to rethink some things...

It was recommended to use the Rupert Neve Headphone Amplifier with the Sony CD900ST, if a MK465 isn't in the cards. The gentleman I spoke to uses the CD900 for the majority of his listening and stated if the MK465 gets you 100% there, then the Rupert Neve gets you 90% there.

I will post an additional CJ Report later today, including some lovely experiences on the show floor. But thought I would get the 'best stuff' done first for those still at the Show. Best Regards.
Can't knock it until I hear it but it's a wild proposition for me to think the best pairing with a $17,000 amp is a $200 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back