CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #106 of 638
Today I auditioned multiple headphones at Canjam, many of them top class, focal utopia 2022, Audeze CRBN electrostatic, DCA stealth, but none of them blew me away as did a pair of Raal Requisite SR1a hooked up to the $7000 VM-1A tube amp. The bass slam, the dynamism and treble air while retaining smoothness is simply exemplary. The soundstage gives the HD800 a run for its money. I also compared the SR1a to its little brother, CA-1a and it’s clear why the SR1a is 1.5 times the price. While retaining the bass slam and much of the imaging of its big brother, CA-1a suffers from a bit of hot treble peaks, similar to HD800, but to a lesser extent. I also heard more sibilance, while the SR-1a was smooth and flowing. This is from limited listening though. Both are quite exquisite headphones, especially when paired with the expensive tube amp.
I heard the combo at the Münich High-End Show...it was the last thing to try, almost as an afterthought because of what I read before about the Raal being analytical (which I do not like) and hot in treble, lacking in bass, etc...I was completly floored by this VM-1a and SR1a combo. Nothing came close and like you, I also listened to everything the same day and have at home experience with a lot of the nicer offerings. I think the amp redefines what the Raal earspeaker does.

The point is, if there is a VM1a/SR1b combo there have a listen. Just be prepared. I bought the set afterwards...

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #107 of 638
Got these Caldera's hooked up at home now. I have a pair of b-stock Verité Closed that I really like, but I always wanted some more bite in the low end. This headphone maintains that ZMF sound, but adds a new layer of lushness that is addictive. Vocals are really highlighted by the ZMF silky mid tuning. The placement of things is on the more intimate side, but they don't feel closed in. Very natural yet exciting. My favorite ZMFs so far...and those new Atriums were great too.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #108 of 638
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #109 of 638
Spend some time trying out IEM cables from two companies from Singapore

Starting with Effect Audio, I'll be comparing it to my EA Cleopatra I Octa and CA Andromeda IEM

EA Cleopatra II 4-wire -

Relative to the Octa I, more midbass presence but has less subbass presence than the Octa I. The mids are more forward with Cleo II while Octa I had a tiny bit more microdetail/layering in the timbre. In the upper region, Cleo II has a slightly sharper/faster attack while the Octa has a smoother rendering while proving a tiny bit more air/presence. The Octa has a larger canvas than Cleo II, but I attribute that to the "8-wire" effect rather than the cable geometry itself.

EA Chiron standard 8-wire

Relative to Octa I, Chiron has more holographic presence from all directions. Chiron also has the ability to delineate the instrument timbre of an instrument and position those inflections in the timbre in a very distinct place in space and also in revealing a way. Also, Chiron makes the Andromeda's sound even faster (in transients) without blurring anything whatsoever (extremely similar to how electrostatics driver sound). This is one of the best cable pair up I've ever listened to. IMHO, if you have a pure BA IEM, this cable is one of those end-all-be-all cable for BA IEMs. There's another cable that seriously challenges this cable and even best it on some areas but Chiron also best it on other categories too

IMG_6263.JPG

(Did not get a chance to try Centurion)

Moving on to Eletech

Eletech Fortitude - impressions with CA Andromeda

Good control of bass, warm mids, and very smooth and laid back treble. Good layering and soundstage, but definitely a level below the Cleo II 4-wire and other Eletech cables I've heard on all areas.

Eletech Plato

Pure silver excellency!: Speed, macrodetail, presence, bass texture in spades! Compared to Cleo II 4-wire, Plato is faster sounding and both have that mid presence but Plato renders voices a with tiny bit more bite. In the lower region, Plato is has faster bass decay without sacrificing impact while Cleo II 4-wire has a bit more slam and more lingering decay and texture. Also Cleo II 4-wire has more midbass presence to bring the much needed body on the presentation. Staging is pretty similar to each other while the Cleo I Octa is more expansive. If I were to choose what's best for the Andromeda to my taste, I would take the Cleo II 4-wire due to the peakier treble response of the Andromeda CK Blue.

Eletech Project 8: Plato X Socrates

Finally the canvas has now reached the likes of the other 8-wire cables such as the Cleo I Octa. PXS is in between the Cleo I Octa and Chiron in soundstage. Treble between Cleo I Octa and PXS is very similar that I would be hard pressed to tell them from a sighted A/B. Mids in the Cleo I Octa is slightly more forward / more presence while PXS has a wider presence but not as forward (not as forward as Plato). Midbass presence is about the same, but I sense that PXS might have better texture while Cleo I Octa has more subbass presence and extension. Macrodynamics and microdynamics are also excellent on PXS which makes it very engaging.

Eletech Iliad

I finally get a glimpse of Chiron's special ability of delineating instrument timbre inflections but unlike Chiron, Iliad could not position them as distinct/clear from each other in the space. PXS and Cleo I Octa has a wider soundstage compared to Iliad, but Iliad digs deeper to the instrument microdetails slightly than both. I would chalk it up to Iliad having a smaller canvas (could be a 4-wire against 8-wire configuration). Iliad has good transient dynamics but not as fast sounding as Plato which is a plus for my taste. Overall, I would take the wider sounding PXS not only because of its better soundstage canvas, but because I don't feel that details and dynamics are being forced to me without having enough space to breathe and relax completely

Ode to Laura - A true rival to EA Chiron

I would say Chiron and OtL are on the same level of soundstage width with Chiron a bit more stretched in the XY axis and less so than the Z axis while Ode to Laura is completely spherical in its soundstage canvas. Ode to Laura presents on the best bass texture I've ever heard while Chiron beats the OtL in the delineating/microdetail timbre of instrument (aka plankton). While both present TOTL levels of soundstage and imaging, Chiron presents them like how a wide stereo speaker sounds with all the holographic imaging in between completely intact while OtL is akin to Dolby Atmos speaker setup where for example an instrument is positioned to sound just from the left x axis in the Chiron or other Eletech cable, OtL can present them as if they're sounding from behind you, IMHO best 3D spherical holographic rendition I've heard out of the Andromeda, very close to how Oriolus Traillii (stock PW1960 cable) presents imaging in space. In terms of speed/transients without sacrificing microdyamics and microdetails (plankton), Chiron is definitely faster than OtL, but OtL's magical instrument separation, bass texture and extremely pleasing timbre is simply hard to resist. I could not rank one over the other TBH since those two cables are just too dang good! It's also one of those end-all-be-all cables for pure multi-BA IEMs

IMG_6272.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #110 of 638
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #112 of 638
So many amazing headphones and amps/dacs on day 1. The Utopia 2022 fixed a lot of the things that I found a bit aggressive about the original. The Audeze MM-500 has a very unique balance that is really fun to listen to. Such a nice build quality too. My personal favorite (and what I ended up buying) were the ZMF Caldera. It has the lovely mids of their house sound with some really fun low end. The dCS stack was was super interesting.
What does the Caldera cost?

Thanks for sharing impressions!

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #113 of 638
So I made a last minute decision to drive up from San Diego this morning. I had 2 goals. See if the DCA Expanse I bought earlier this week stacks up to other top headphone and how does it sound on other equipment. I currently run them out of the Naim HE and really enjoy that combo. Amazing resolution while still being fun and plenty of pace, rhythm and timing.

The first thing I tried out was the new Focal Utopia. I have the original with Danacable Reference that I’m probably going to sell since think I prefer the Expanse. I didn’t bring my Utopia but I got to hear the Utopia 2022 out of my same setup, Naim HE. It was only 10:30am and floor was still pretty quiet. So the new one had nice kick and sounded excellent, but I could tell it had less resolution than my Original. I’d say that’s due to the Danacable. So original plus Danacable for less money combined is better than new model. Be sure to remember that when I sell mine 😀

Next I stopped by the roon setup because they had DCS Lina stack and no one there. I believe I tried a balanced LCD-5 out of it first. That was a pretty enjoyable listen. But then switched to my Expanse. Not only did it sound worse, I know my Naim He for a 1/10 of the price sounded better. I was shocked. The Expanse and the Lina amp do not mix well. Flat and no bass. Saves me $30k 👌

I tried some other random stuff but eventually found the Abyss and Woo amp room. I tried their new WA23 Luna headphone amp that was sourced by the DCS Lina dac without the additional clock. This was the highlight for me. Simply the best. The Expanse has lots of bass, great impact and the mids and highs were perfectly blended in the mix. I like this much better than the Abyss 1266 out of their top if the line amp. The WA23 was also a much better match for the Expanse than the top of the line amp. The WA23 is $9k so out of my price range. I also got to hear the Meze Elite out of their portable tube amp. I get why people like this headphone. It’s got great bass and is a really fun listen. But the Expanse on my Naim HE is just as fun but also has much better resolution across the board. Think my Utopia/Danacable also beats it.

Next I went to the Dan Clark room. I got to test the Expanse against the Stealth on some nice tube amp. Forgot the make but wasn’t as great as the Woo but have no idea even in same price bracket. Anyway, the Expanse is a big win over the Stealth for me. It’s warmer, better bass, impact and more fun. The Stealth didn’t do anything for me.

That pretty much if for me. Had no interest in trying iem headphones and was getting hungry and didn’t want to spend $22 for a burger and fries. Found great food nearby and headed back home.
Cool. When you say the Utopia 2022 had great kick…do you mean more dynamic bass slam than the original? Also how was the soundstage on the 2022? Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the show and confirmed a good purchase.

So many amazing headphones and amps/dacs on day 1. The Utopia 2022 fixed a lot of the things that I found a bit aggressive about the original. The Audeze MM-500 has a very unique balance that is really fun to listen to. Such a nice build quality too. My personal favorite (and what I ended up buying) were the ZMF Caldera. It has the lovely mids of their house sound with some really fun low end. The dCS stack was was super interesting.
When you say the Utopia 2022 fixed lots of things…can you explain in more detail? thanks

9156A074-EE21-473C-B59A-3B1C3AB6354B.jpeg1F56D6FD-4BB7-4F3B-89FD-318AAA6CB6AB.jpeg9C9FD43C-0DBA-4875-9FFC-DD8E0044EF14.jpeg
3410C057-6118-4220-AD26-DC025E215446.jpeg
I had a great time. Plenty of seat time with almost everything I wanted to hear today. I kept coming back to these rigs above for more. Es-R10 + gsx mini/liberty dac II was also pretty enjoyable imo. 🤩
What is that funky red headphone?

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #114 of 638
What is that funky red headphone?
I brought my personal pair of Perun Live sound. That LTA / Denafrips Pontus 2 rig was definitely a great pairing. Very natural sounding. It wasn’t mushy or overly warm. Not dry or brittle at all. Two thumbs up 👍🏻 👍🏻

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #116 of 638
Got these Caldera's hooked up at home now. I have a pair of b-stock Verité Closed that I really like, but I always wanted some more bite in the low end. This headphone maintains that ZMF sound, but adds a new layer of lushness that is addictive. Vocals are really highlighted by the ZMF silky mid tuning. The placement of things is on the more intimate side, but they don't feel closed in. Very natural yet exciting. My favorite ZMFs so far...and those new Atriums were great too.
Now is the impact//slam on the Caldera?

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #117 of 638
Had a great time! My favorite setups, based on criteria of getting me lost in the music:

1. ZMF Atrium (Metrum Morpheus, Airmid OTL amp). Fun, engaging, musical, punchy, great staging, and natural. Noticeably more resolving than the Auteur and Aelous I have at home. Everything sounded good. This setup has endgame potential.

2. Stax 009 (Woo DAC, Woo 3es). Old me would have ranked this best of show, but my current tastes lean towards a fun and engaging sound. More musical and body than my 009 but somehow more transparent. Silky smooth. However, sounded a bit polite. Perhaps the ultimate headphone for relaxing. Loved its aesthetic design.

3. Raal CA-1 (new Sony DAP, Woo WA33). Along with SR1A, the most transparent sound I've ever heard. Its like the veil between the recording and musical performance is lifted, transporting me to the venue. However, like the SR1A, the sound is a bit untamed. Hot/strident/sibilant treble on some tracks, and on two different setups, the sub-bass energy seemed to build up in the cups creating an odd resonance. Also, the Woo WA33 volume was at max to get enough SPL for show environment.

4. DCA Expanse (HP out of Chord Dave). As a newbie to DCA, I was pleasantly surprised by the Expanse. The music flowed so fluidly with stat-like detail and sounds that pop out. It gave me impression of when audiophiles say "the speaker getting out of the way" and just hearing the music. No distracting peaks or dips, everything just sounded right. The acoustic shaping of the cups and its damping system looks to be on a different level than most headphones.

5. ZMF Caldera (??? DAC, Feliks tube amp). Super fun, engaging, punchy, and unique tuning. The bass was super impactful but clean, tight, and quick. Reminded me of a TH900 on steroids. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a Verite reception with most people loving it, but some finding the tuning a bit wonky. I definitely want more time with this one, sounded superb off the Feliks but underpowered by another tube amp in ZMF room. Perhaps a new variation of the ZMF house sound, they sounded different than any other ZMF's, not better nor worse, just different. ZMF headphones are like Pokemon - gotta catch em all!

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #119 of 638
Two humble requests for feedback from attendees headed to the show today:

1 - Enleum has their $3000 prototype HPA-23RM transportable amp at the Headphones.com booth. Would love to hear more feedback. For those unfamiliar, you're looking for this:

05.jpg

2 - T+A booth has their not yet released Solitaire T over the ear Bluetooth headphone on display. At $1600, it will be the highest priced offering in the BT category. With a fully passive analog cable mode, they are selling it as a premium on the go offering for users who want wired and wireless flexibility. I have not seen a single listening impression online even though it was announced at Munich HiFi and is supposed to ship by the end of this month. It's definitely there as seen in Project Ac3's Day one CanJam SoCal video:

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.02.25 AM.jpg

Thanks in advance!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back