CanJam SoCal 2021 (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #242 of 949
My logistics are all set as well. Looking forward to CanJam and seeing everyone!
Can’t wait to see you again Jim as I believe it was at the last one as well.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #243 of 949
Hotel Reservations Update:
There is a new link for CanJam SoCal 2021 reservations, as the Irvine Marriott has now added an option for Double rooms (in addition to King rooms). Click here to make room reservations.

If you need to change an existing King room reservation to a Double room reservation, you can either edit your bed preference online or you can call Marriott Reservations at 888-236-2427 to make the change.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #244 of 949
Any shuttles or convenient transport to and from LAX? How long can one realistically expect the drive to take?
From the marriot site
"

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)​

Airport Phone: +1 310-646-5252
Hotel direction: 43 miles S
This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
  • Alternate transportation: Pinnacle; fee: 131 USD (one way) ;reservation required
  • Estimated taxi fare: 110 USD (one way)"
There's a ton of ways from SuperShuttle vans (depends on how many in the van are going to about the same area) from the airport to Lyft/Uber $80-90~ to taxi to public bus $20~ to metro rail (no direct stop, so you'll combine with the bus).

As expected, cheaper = longer, so let's say bus = 3+ hours, mostly due to waiting around. LA bus / OC bus systems.
There is a separate lax bus system:
https://www.flylax.com/flyaway-bus
$20~

While UCI is not walking close, the options are the same:
https://sites.uci.edu/graduateinterconnect/2019/07/14/transportation-options-from-airport-to-campus/

Taxi, supershuttle, ride shares are the easiest and most common.

Realistically, if you get on the la freeways 7am until 9am or 3pm until 7pm anywhere M-F, expect to die. 2-3 hour drive down on a normal day, 4+ of there's accidents.

Rush hour traffic has returned with the lockdown ended!

Outside those hours, usually a fast drive 35-45 minutes. Depends on if you're a turtle from outside LA driving at the speed limit, or a LA driver pushing 80+ in the fast lanes.

If you're super cheap, you'll be researching the current free hotel/city shuttles from lax to something closer to OC. (E.g. In the past, there were even South Coast Plaza shuttles... Anaheim with Disney might have city or other free shuttles.) Then the bus to the hotel.

Avoid the bus late at night in LA.
Crack heads, crazies, homeless, etc...
Absolutely avoid downtown la at night using public transportation. Union station is capital of the homeless around it.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #245 of 949
Food wise.
Big centers with restaurants

1. South Coast Plaza.
Very upscale, tons of yummy restaurants, great shopping mall. Luxurious.
SCP dining

2. Fashion island
Outdoor mall, luxurious but not as upscale imo as South Coast, many choices.
Fashion island dining

3. Diamond Jamboree
One of three nearby Asian restaurants eats
DJ

4. Culver Plaza
Second of many Asian eats
CP

5. The Camp
From the Camp south on Bristol to Mitsuwa Supermarket and Anjin on Paularino north, tons of eats from Italian to Japanese.

Walking distance from South Coast Plaza north on Bristol if the choices there are too expensive.

Boba drinks
DING TEA MONSTER BOBA OR ELSE!! ,)

Chain store. One near South Coast plaza.

Go Yummy. Good for the milk teas where you can actually taste real Chinese tea. Unique flavors like rose milk tea, yummy!

Yes, crazy governor reopened CA, so everyone's running around crowded malls, theaters, restaurants without masks or distancing.

Covid cases are very low in OC, but Meet Up will be the start of the school/cold/flu season, too. Who knows if the latest variants will spark covid part iii.

All the data is out there:
Medshadow vaccine side effects

Common side effects of each

Right now, it would be smartest to be vaccinated with a double dose of pfizer should one need the "best" protection (most effective), although it's not 100% effective at preventing covid infection.

Surgical, kn95, n95, n100 masks best, in increasing order of protection. Pass on cloth masks.

Again, positivity rates are so low right now that you'd get harassed by an aggressive homeless faster than catching covid, but doesn't hurt to wear a mask.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #247 of 949
Hotel Reservations Update:
There is a new link for CanJam SoCal 2021 reservations, as the Irvine Marriott has now added an option for Double rooms (in addition to King rooms). Click here to make room reservations.

If you need to change an existing King room reservation to a Double room reservation, you can either edit your bed preference online or you can call Marriott Reservations at 888-236-2427 to make the change.

Thanks, Ethan, this saves us a few bucks!

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #248 of 949
I guess now its okay to talk about Covid again?
I'd say keep it relevant and useful.
Even today, some oc stores require your vaccine card before letting you in to shop, some places require masks, even after the lockdown and mask orders ended.

It's simply being realistic that covid is still out there, hard to keep distancing and ventilation in a busy meet up, and nobody knows what variants will be out this fall and how many are infected/compromised.

Just be nice, imo.
1. Get a vaccination.
2. wear a surgical, kn95, n95 mask.
3. Don't come if feeling anything odd.
4. Try to distance when possible.

Someone will post if the zombie apocalypse returns.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #250 of 949
I'd say keep it relevant and useful.
Even today, some oc stores require your vaccine card before letting you in to shop, some places require masks, even after the lockdown and mask orders ended.

It's simply being realistic that covid is still out there, hard to keep distancing and ventilation in a busy meet up, and nobody knows what variants will be out this fall and how many are infected/compromised.

Just be nice, imo.
1. Get a vaccination.
2. wear a surgical, kn95, n95 mask.
3. Don't come if feeling anything odd.
4. Try to distance when possible.

Someone will post if the zombie apocalypse returns.

I have yet to go any place that has asked for me to wear a mask or proof of vaccination.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #251 of 949
I have yet to go any place that has asked for me to wear a mask or proof of vaccination.
That's not audio related...
Seriously, can we get back to talking about audio?
Mask requirements or not, I'm going as I just want to see, touch and talk audio.....

I respect you're not going if they require masks, and that is your right, and you've made that clear
As I mentioned I respect both sides of this discussion and would just like to get back to talking about ANYTHING but covid....

I'd just like to get back to audio, Have had enough about Covid.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #253 of 949
That's not audio related...
Seriously, can we get back to talking about audio?
Mask requirements or not, I'm going as I just want to see, touch and talk audio.....

I respect you're not going if they require masks, and that is your right, and you've made that clear
As I mentioned I respect both sides of this discussion and would just like to get back to talking about ANYTHING but covid....

I'd just like to get back to audio, Have had enough about Covid.
Oh, but post #246 is audio related, got it, the post you liked. I posted what I posted because he said some places are making people wear a mask or show proof of vaccination, I just said I have not encountered that. I am trying to show a positive light here about things, so maybe people on the fence will want to come.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #254 of 949
Guys, while I understand the topic of COVID in relation to CanJam is a thing (and pretty much every aspect our lives, worldwide), let's set it aside right now. If you guys are going to get into arguments regarding it, you won't be in the thread much longer. @third_eye will be able to post any details regarding it and what rules, etc will be in effect, per the venue. We're all excited for CanJam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back