CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #256 of 616
What is the Susvara's bass like?

People have been saying the Meze Elite is an improved Arya but considering twice the cost I'm not sure it's worth it unless the build quality and company is vastly superior meaning it will last and have better support.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about the LCD5... Can you elaborate?

The LCD5 is in my cart and so is this Abyss 1266
The word that best describes the LCD-5 for me is muscular, throughout the spectrum. Impressions are fading as I write, so I'll leave it there.

Susvara's bass is very clear, satisfying and goes down smooth, like everything else it does.

I've posted a lot here, so I'll let others fill the space.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #257 of 616
What is the Susvara's bass like?

People have been saying the Meze Elite is an improved Arya but considering twice the cost I'm not sure it's worth it unless the build quality and company is vastly superior meaning it will last and have better support.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about the LCD5... Can you elaborate?

The LCD5 is in my cart and so is this Abyss 1266
I recently auditioned a Meze Elite for a week as part of the tour organized by TTVJ and I consider the Elite to be way more dynamic than the softer sounding Arya as well as having a much more natural timbre too. The Elite is still second best to my modded HE-6's in the dynamics dept, not by much though.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #259 of 616
At my flight gate reflecting on my first CanJam! A wonderful time trying new equipment and meeting all of you :)

Best IEM: 64 Audio Tia Trio. The bass impact I look for in EDM. A colorful, bright tuning that makes classic rock sound modern! I bought one on their site using the CanJam discount code on Saturday and I already wish I had it for my flight back home!

Honorable Mentions: JH Audio Layla’s stunning midrange timbre and Empire Ears EVO‘s bone conduction driver you can feel vibrating the shell… super cool!

Best Headphone: Hifiman Susvara. The best tuned flagship by a mile.

Honorable Mentions: Audeze CRBN’s sense of space and natural sounding bass made it sound better to me than the Hifiman Shangri La Jr. and Stax 007/009! The Focal Utopia sounds absolutely amazing on the ampsandsound Forge!

Best Manufacturer Booth: Audeze. The CRBN and LCD-5 are both revolutionary headphones that make me absolutely stoked for the future of Audeze!

Honorable Mentions: The guys at 64 Audio and Empire Ears were very chill and friendly. You both represent your brands well!

Best Vendor Booth: headphones.com had basically every major flagship and IEM I was interested in. Incredibly helpful staff made sure I spent the most time with them!

Honorable Mentions:
Bloom Audio‘s Andrew is the best! The Source AV was the headphones.com booth for amp lovers.

All in all it was an unforgettable first show. See you all at the next one!

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #260 of 616
I recently auditioned a Meze Elite for a week as part of the tour organized by TTVJ and I consider the Elite to be way more dynamic than the softer sounding Arya as well as having a much more natural sounding timbre too. The Elite is still second best to my modded HE-6's in the dynamics dept though (although not too far behind).
Yeah, I don’t get the Elite versus Arya comparison. They are so much better than that headphone. A better comparison would be the HEKse vs the Elites. The Elites has more in common with that headphone than the Arya’s.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #263 of 616
Yeah, I don’t get the Elite versus Arya comparison. They are so much better than that headphone. A better comparison would be the HEKse vs the Elites. The Elites has more in common with that headphone than the Arya’s.
I own both Arya and HE1000SE. I only heard the Elite for a few minutes and on my DX300 in a noisy environment. I like it a lot and it reminded me of my Arya. I agree it sounds better, but that is the sound I heard. It did not remind me of my HE1000SE which is brighter and more energetic.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #264 of 616
I am getting the LCD-5 or Carbon before then and im near NYC, you can try them when they come.....
Let me know. I have the Elite. Maybe a shoot out comparison?

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #265 of 616
All in all a lot of fun to meet the faces behind the madness.
Listening impressions almost impossible with open cans, highly recommend these for each listening location, maybe look to manufacturer to sponsor?

https://isovoxbooth.com/

Good people good gear fun times thanks for setting up!

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #266 of 616
While I haven't heard the Elites yet, the Aryas bested the original Empyreans in every category except for bass/slam, it had better detail retrieval, soundstage, instrument separation, and overall sense of clarity. Many have said this but I fall strongly in the camp that believes the Empyreans were a $3000 headphone with $1000 SQ....

I prefer the tuning of the Aryas to the HE1000SE which too my ears were too forward in the treble, but were very detailed and its technical abilities are second to only the Susvaras in Hifiman's planar line. So unless the Elites have made astronomical leaps in technical performance, I don't expect them to be up there with the HE1000SE, though the tuning might be a lot more ear-friendly.

That said I am definitely keen on hearing the Elites and maybe I am completely wrong...

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #267 of 616
Poetic excursions in hi-fi audio

Can Jammed hard
livin' large
findin' which can takes charge
With Head-Fi as my chain selecta'
It ain't gonna get any betta'
To those who say it's hard
I otherwise wouldn't have found my star!!!

ONE WORD OFF THE CUFF DESCRIPTION MY CHOSEN FAVORITES - FINAL RESULTS TO BE SPOKEN
disclaimer - OTT hype on they way: the unscientific way

Audeze LCD-4z SUBLIME
HEDDphone from HEDD Audio FANTASTIC
Rosson Audio Rad-0 ENIGMATIC
ZMF Verite C SENSATIONAL
Meze Elite SPELLBINDING!
Audeze CRBN electrostats MYSTICAL

California vibe afterwards
Spoiler alert - after day two of Canjamming and extensive comparisons on different systems / listening sessions, my preference order above is rearranged completely, plus the addition of trying the LCD-5 just may do some dethroning. More to come, but expect some days delay, as I get back to things and do some traveling. the hype is real.
@UntilThen This is for you too

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #268 of 616
Here are the IEMs I heard. I didn't get very much time with them, so I could change my mind over time. Here is how I rank what I heard.

1. Empire Ears EVO. But, I had already heard it before and I got to hear it in my room.
2. UM Mest Mkii. Really liked the enhanced sub bass and mids.
3. Sennheiser IE900. I love the bass on these IEMs
4. Symphonium Helios. Tuned very similarly to Monarch and Clair which I like a lot. Great imaging
5. Andromeda 2020. Great sound stage and I loved the sound
6. 64 Audio U12t with M15. Sounded boring. Not enough bass. Too much treble. Might improve a lot with M20 module.
7. UM FuSang. Only got a few minutes with them. They didn't resonate with me.
8. Campfire Audio Solaris. I didn't like it. Too bright
9. 64 Audio Duo. I really didn't like it. Sounded veiled.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #269 of 616
I own both Arya and HE1000SE. I only heard the Elite for a few minutes and on my DX300 in a noisy environment. I like it a lot and it reminded me of my Arya. I agree it sounds better, but that is the sound I heard. It did not remind me of my HE1000SE which is brighter and more energetic.
The HEKse’s have a different tuning that’s very enjoyable that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back