CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #61 of 616
Quick thoughts:

* Audeze CRBN , silky, great low end for an estat, impressive soundstage, faster than the lcd-5 but without the same tactile feel. Sounded MUCH better out of the mjolnir audio than the Z10e. Very different than Stax, and I really enjoyed these. I may not even need to hear the sr-x9000 before deciding to put my order in. Sounds like the waitlist is until Jan … crazy.
5/5

* Audeze lcd-5 , supremely good headphone… but a departure from the classic lcd line. For me this a plus. Smaller soundstage than the CRBN. Weight is light, clamp still a little tough for me. 4.5/5

*focal utopia - great headphone with a lot of punch. I would expect these to cause ear fatiguing over time. 4/5

*Rad-0 - another stellar headphone that does most things right and reminds me a lot of the lcd-3. 4/5

* abyss - terrible fit for me, and not as resolving as I expected. 3/5

* raal sr1a - hard to tell from the environment background , but sounded pretty fun, outside of the bass which was weirdly 1 note. 3/5

* sr009s on BHSE - own the sr009s, BHSE really makes the high end sparkle 5/5

* sr007 on BHSE - a little bit too dark but I liked the flavor contrast to the sr009 4/5

* Dan Clark stealth - :frowning2: did not like outside of maybe the fit … 1/5 for the price

* Meze Elite - surprisingly excellent , awesome soundstage, price is a little too high given the competition but honestly better than I anticipated and the surprise win take home 4/5
You ended up picking up the Meze Elite but preferred the lcd-5 over them? What was the reasoning for going with them given the similar price range?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #62 of 616
I've seen several complaints about loudness of people and chitter chatter. Why is that even allowed? There should be time and place to listen to all these cans (like during the show), and then maybe afterwards or something to chat about designs or whatever else...
Or zones for chitter chatter away from listening stations.

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #63 of 616
Or zones for chitter chatter away from listening stations.
My first canjam (8 or 10 years ago?) at RMAF (I hope it is not RIP, someone please resume the show for us!) was quiet as a library. I think the popularity has made it so exhibitors and attendees are more excited to visit. That's good and bad but I also wish for a quieter environment, especially when auditioning the open cans!

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #64 of 616
Tried the Stealth at The Source Booth. One of the most comfortable earpads I've felt on a headphone. Sadly did not get enough time to listen to them as booths were closing up for the day.
DSC_1633.JPG

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #65 of 616
Do people staying at the hotel ever have quieter mini meets in the lobby when the event is finished for the day?

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #67 of 616
I noted the displays for AUDEZE®, NOBLE AUDIO®, and a few others in the attached photos previous Posts. Was HEIL SOUND™ present? Heil introduced some new models of headset over the past two years.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #68 of 616
If you had to choose lcd5 or CRBN which would it be (assuming good chain for both)?
I'd also be interested in hearing more comparisons and preferences.

I will say... Having a separate amp just for an estat is kind of a nuisance for someone who already has a few headamps and enjoys listening in different rooms.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #69 of 616
Proposed CanJam etiquette for Sunday: When you walk up between two people seated at a table and lean over to talk to the exhibitors, you are showing the people next to you the seat of your pants while they're trying to have a sublime experience. Please be considerate.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #70 of 616
I've seen several complaints about loudness of people and chitter chatter. Why is that even allowed? There should be time and place to listen to all these cans (like during the show), and then maybe afterwards or something to chat about designs or whatever else...for the majority of people, it's not like you walk into a local store to listen to 'phones, people take time off, travel, get a hotel, time and effort gets put into having a chance (maybe once in a lifetime) to hear these systems, only not to be able to hear them properly....
For me it was a complete non issue, once I put on the headphones that was the main thing at the fore. If you need complete sound isolation with open backs you need an entirely different type of venue from what was setup.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #73 of 616
Proposed CanJam etiquette for Sunday: When you walk up between two people seated at a table and lean over to talk to the exhibitors, you are showing the people next to you the seat of your pants while they're trying to have a sublime experience. Please be considerate.

When I used to see people auditioning stuff with their eyes closed, I thought that they were trying to visualize the recording in their minds, but now I know how that really started.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #74 of 616
If you had to choose lcd5 or CRBN which would it be (assuming good chain for both)?
will be interesting to see how will the CRBN compair to the new STAX flagship the SR-X9000.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #75 of 616
PXL_20210925_183531951.jpg
PXL_20210925_192806187.jpg
PXL_20210925_204332709.jpg
learned a lot, what I like, don't like. If you like anything audio I recommend trying everything out at canjam to see what you like. Learn that audio pricing is sometimes outrageous. Loved 64 audio, Arya LCD series were good. Didn't really like some of the headphones there however. Moondrop variations is great for the price too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back