CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread
Jul 1, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #361 of 438
The “CanJam” at Munich High End in 2018 was not affiliated with Head-Fi (CanJam Global) in any way. The full list of Head-Fi’s CanJam Global shows can be found at www.canjamglobal.com.
So why the disassociation with RMAF?

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #363 of 438
While it's refreshing to see marketing fluff that goes beyond just "allows you to hear the music exactly the way the artist intended", if what they're saying is true, they'll have massive problems with 4th order harmonic distortion.

On top of which, folded diaphragms sounds all kinds of wrong to me. Sound waves reaching your ears from any appreciable distance are going to be essentially planar - introducing folds into a diaphragm that's centimeters from your ear is going to create all sorts of nasty, unphysical, high frequency constructive and destructive interference. I think their marketing department needs to take a second shot at this!
Have you never heard of an AMT driver? They have been around for decades. Specifically, AMT drivers are very commonly used as tweeters for speakers. AMT drivers are unique in that they don't require tension on the driver which results in increased linearity and lower distortion. They have never been ideal for a full range driver because typically very powerful magnets and large driver surface area were required. HEDD also produces speakers with AMT drivers and has been developing new tech to make AMT feasible for a full range headphone driver. In theory, an AMT driver is probably the closest you can come to directly converting electricity into vibrations using a mechanical transducer.

HEDD is co-founded by Klaus Heinz, the previous founder of ADAM audio, another long-time speaker company that develops studio monitors that use AMT tweeters. He has been researching and improving AMT drivers for the better part of 30 years.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #366 of 438
My favorite two headphones at CanJam were the HE1000SE and the ZMF Verite. They’re both basically perfect to my ears in sound, looks and comfort. I already own the HEKse and it feels really good listening to all the high end headphones and leaving CanJam feeling like I already have the perfect headphone for my ears.

It was great to see Verite at so many booths so I could hear it with various setups. I have a tube amp on the way that I just purchased and I’m sure it won’t be long till I spring for a Verite if my own.

While I didn’t see HEKse at that many booths, the Hifiman guys were kind enough to let me borrow a pair and take it around a bit. The most magical pairing for me was the HEKse/Hugo TT2/Mscaler, absolutely outstanding sound. I also really enjoyed the HEKse out of the Headamp amp gsx mini/TT2, really nice pairing I could happily live with.

I listened to the HEDDphone that’s receiving lots of attention right now. I wasn’t as impressed with it as some others here. It was just kinda OK to me, not bad by any means, but didn’t leave a lasting impression. In fairness I didn’t spend a lot of time with it, but that’s probably telling. But everyone’s clamoring so much about it now that I wish I had spent more time with it and head better impressions.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #367 of 438
Moondrop Buds: Almost forgot - I also listened to a new $300 earbud from Moondrop which sounded really great. Apparently this was an upgrade to the Liebesleid, but the vendor's English wasn't all that good, so I didn't catch its name. Anybody know? (It looked exactly like the Liebesleid, with that notch on the L bud.)

I found out what they were! They're called the Moondrop Chaconne. Did anybody else get a chance to hear these?

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #368 of 438
Did anyone compare the Valkyrie to the Khan?

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #369 of 438
Ultimately just a few people seemed to get the chance to try this one at the meet because it was the only one on display at the Shenzhen Audio booth and somebody bought the last one right after trying it. I'll say he must have been impressed to fork over that much $$ right on the spot!
Shenzhen Audio actually brought 2 Anole VX IEMs. I bought one before noon on the first day. Sorry for ruining the entire show, guys.

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #370 of 438
Shenzhen Audio actually brought 2 Anole VX IEMs. I bought one before noon on the first day. Sorry for ruining the entire show, guys.

I didn't stop by Shenzhen Audio and obviously didn't audition the Anole VX. I did listen more than once to the CA Solaris, which was probably my favorite IEM at the show. Since it appears you now own both, how would you compare them? Thanks.

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #371 of 438
I found out what they were! They're called the Moondrop Chaconne. Did anybody else get a chance to hear these?

I am holding out for the Passacaglia :upside_down:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #372 of 438
I didn't stop by Shenzhen Audio and obviously didn't audition the Anole VX. I did listen more than once to the CA Solaris, which was probably my favorite IEM at the show. Since it appears you now own both, how would you compare them? Thanks.
The VX has the Z1R FR with Solaris soundstage and sparkle around 10K. But, it's punchier than either competitor. The leading edges are almost too fast and aggressive. More so than the Utopia. Crazy. It gives the VX a super-crisp presentation that's hyperreal. It's like 8K TV with the contrast and brightness turned up a bit too high. Decay is lightning quick as well. It's not a natural sound, especially in bass. But it's so addicting.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #373 of 438
The VX has the Z1R FR with Solaris soundstage and sparkle around 10K. But, it's punchier than either competitor. The leading edges are almost too fast and aggressive. More so than the Utopia. Crazy. It gives the VX a super-crisp presentation that's hyperreal. It's like 8K TV with the contrast and brightness turned up a bit too high. Decay is lightning quick as well. It's not a natural sound, especially in bass. But it's so addicting.
Thanks for the description. Sounds like something to be experienced (at least once), but not sure it'd be up my alley based on the above. I do regret not spending some time on these boards before heading to CanJam as I missed out on listening to several things that are currently generating buzz. Been out of the loop here for quite a long time and just enjoying the gear I own. Already looking forward to next year! :)

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #374 of 438
I am going out in audio gear style today, I have my Noble shirt on and my new free CanJam hat, thanks again Ethan. Feel free to have some hat jealousy.

20190702-055239.jpg

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #375 of 438
  • AAW Shozy X Pola 39? - Not sure I wrote that correctly. And the naming could use some work - it's like typing Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. But these sounded wonderful. I think I'm loving this electrostatic driver trend in the IEM market.
It is AAW x Shozy (two brand's collab)- POLA 39 (product name)! Sorry if it makes you brainhurt but yah we are sure they sound lovely :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back