CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #151 of 521
I would be interested in more feedback on the RE2000, especially vs Dream and Vega.

From what I heard during canjam singapore, the RE2000 has a more analytical signature, leaner than the Dream, much leaner than the Vega.

The RE2000 is also wide, but relatively less deep. The Vega is forward, but conveys a better sense of depth to me with the Dita cables which I understand you to have. The Dream on the other hand does depth really well, only beaten out in this regard by the Fourte to my ears. 

Hope it helps mim :)

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #152 of 521
Briefly,

LAB 2 and Piano Forte X from Final Audio Design - These had something i've never heard before. I don't know if they are the best for every type of music, but they have a magical sound with jazz that nothing else can replicate. The LAB 2's were sensitive enough to get good volume from even in the crowded noisy room, even with no sleeves to seal sound in since they are earphones that use a horn speaker design that doesn't need sleeves. The Piano Forte X was hard to get a good listen to with all the background noise, being less sensitive by far, but most of the same sound was there from what I could hear. 

Hi,

Could you share a little more details about those?I have been intrigued by then but never bother finding a place to demo them. There are so little comments on them that I just thought: expensive for she of exclusivity, not sound quality

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #153 of 521
Little feedback here about the 64 Audio Fourte !

Is it as good as... it cost ? ( at +3500$ the 64 Audio Fourte cost even more than the SHURE KSE1500 with his associated DAC/Amp ! Is it better than the Shure KSE1500 that I still consider as the n'est IEM ? )

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #154 of 521
  Hmm.. Some confusion here?
After reading "new Pioneer DAP", I googled that exact term and found the article below:
http://hifipig.com/pioneer-unveils-new-digital-audio-player/

This article was only written about 2 weeks ago (27th March 2017).
It refers to what looks like a new and relatively 'budget' DAP from Pioneer, the XDP-30R, as opposed to the now not-so-new XDP300R (note the extra zero).

Background on the Onkyo-Pioneer collaboration (my memory's a bit fuzzy so I hope I'm getting this right! Please jump in if you know better lol):
Timeline wise, Onkyo released the DP-X1 a fair while ago now. Pioneer also released a slightly lower-spec DAP around that time, but otherwise very similar.
Onkyo then released an updated and improved DAP called the DP-X1A, late last year I think (this was in Japan only, but many were ordering via third party websites, Amazon.JP, etc).
It corrected some quality issues with the previous DP-X1 (faulty jacks), and added a significantly improved amp section (new bigger and better quality capacitor section).
At the same time, Pioneer released the XDP-300R, which was basically just the DP-X1, repackaged.

Meanwhile, the DP-X1A is shortly going to be available for global release I believe.
However, it seems that Pioneer (according to the article I posted above) are now releasing another new DAP. £349 and dual DACs etc. Looks very interesting!

Actually, now there are two! Did some research, Pioneer has the XDP-30R "Private", while Onkyo has the DP-S1 "Rubato". Both similar budget versions of their respective older brothers, the XDP-300R, and the DP-X1A.

The Onkyo Company owns Pioneer now with Pioneer being for the more "Budget Minded" consumer, thus the similarities in their DAPs and some of their other equipment.
Hope this helps...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #155 of 521

On a related note I was highly impressed with the tried & true Sony MDR V6 professional monitoring headphones that were designed in the 80's and still circulating at select stores. Very linear / transparent, punchy, perfect tonality and does nothing wrong. And at 1/18th the price of the Z1R

Loving that cable!

Even more than this cable?
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #156 of 521
Hi,

Could you share a little more details about those?I have been intrigued by then but never bother finding a place to demo them. There are so little comments on them that I just thought: expensive for she of exclusivity, not sound quality

Sure,

From what I listened to, both the Piano Forte line and the Lab 2s really shined in that they were able to replicate instruments in a natural sounding way that very few headphones and IEMs are able to due to the fact they they are an in-ear speaker style earphone rather than a monitor style earphone with a seal, so you are left with a very acoustical sounding ambiance which is a unique feature. They sounded alive and powerful with no amplification, and very little fiddling and adjustment. The drawbacks are that they don't really work as a portable device for the same reason; I was able to listen closely enough to pick out some details in the moderately noisy show room, but by no means did I get to experience and appreciate them as they should be. If I owned a pair, I don't think it would ever leave my home. The lack of a seal also means there isn't very much of a bass response compared to other IEMs and earphones. A friend of mine who was walking the floor with me spent an extended period of time listening to the Heaven V, VI, and VIII (which have a more traditional design that uses sleeves) that they offer, preferring those more than the Lab 2 that he listened to for 5 minutes or so due to overall sound across all spectrums, although he did note that the mids and highs on the Lab 2 were exceptional. Also note that the Lab 2 itself might be difficult to obtain due to being a limited run item - from what the rep at the booth told me, they might have a small number available on a made to order basis if extra materials are available.

I passed up Final Audio Design at 2 previous CanJams I attended, but one of my other buddies who had a listen last year highly recommended that I check them out, so I remembered to this time. They don't have a big presence at all compared to most of the other exhibitors, with upwards of 20 products on one small table with 2 staff members, so I can imagine it's a bit rough on them as well as attendees who might only have a few hours of time and don't want to get held up in a queue for very long. I didn't even get to try their sleeved earphone lines like the Heavens that my friend tried, which are designed with different tastes in mind. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #159 of 521
I would be interested in more feedback on the RE2000, especially vs Dream and Vega.

As a TOTL IEM guy, I was quite surprised with the RE2000.  However, it is the worst fitting IEM of all time.  Its almost as if it were designed to fit badly.  Its uncomfortable to wear, and not worth $2000.  Get a Vega and call it a day haha.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #161 of 521
I heard the KANN at the recent CamJam over the last two days. I must have went back for a listen at least 5 times. I don't mind the looks and I love the physical buttons. The UI is the same as my AK70. It is a lot bigger than my AK70 though.

I was most interested in the native DSD comparing it against my AK70 which converts DSD to PCM. The difference can be best described as the difference when one compares a DSD track to the equivalent PCM track on the same DAC e.g. both layers of a MOFI SACD. I would describe DSD as "more of everything and analog like".

Next, I compared a 44/16 track and the difference/improvement was the same. I did not expect that.

Before my last comparison, I did the same at the Opus booth with the Opus3 right before going over to the A&K booth. I heard similar improvements on the Opus3 but I would say the KANN was a little better.

If I had not just dumped $2K on the Sony MDR-Z1R headphones at the show, I would have purchased one. That is a LOT of improvement for $400 over the AK70. This is NOT your AB "I think I hear a difference".

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #162 of 521
The Fourte stole the show.  It was unbelievable.  So clear and clean, with really airy highs and booming bass.
mm...Fourte was one of the highlights for me during CanJam Singapore. To my ears, the in-ear will make for an excellent all-rounder. During my last hour audition, I played a lot of tracks out of my AK380 cu and it passed my standards with flying colors. Highs, lows and mids played just beautifully. It was clear, clean, powerful, full sounding and engaging. Impressed me enough to preorder. Dealer says delivery in 2 to 3 more weeks. I am looking forward to tweaking it with my cables specially the Labkable Samurai III (which is excellent with the Noble Katana). Is it reference sound? Is it musical? I think it is a bit of both. Is it worth the usd 3054.00 I paid for? I ll know once I have listened to it more. Is it better than my Zeus XIV R ciem? I ll know once I ve compared. Is it better than my KSE 1500?.....

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #163 of 521
mm...Fourte was one of the highlights for me during CanJam Singapore. To my ears, the in-ear will make for an excellent all-rounder. During my last hour audition, I played a lot of tracks out of my AK380 cu and it passed my standards with flying colors. Highs, lows and mids played just beautifully. It was clear, clean, powerful, full sounding and engaging. Impressed me enough to preorder. Dealer says delivery in 2 to 3 more weeks. I am looking forward to tweaking it with my cables specially the Labkable Samurai III (which is excellent with the Noble Katana). Is it reference sound? Is it musical? I think it is a bit of both. Is it worth the usd 3054.00 I paid for? I ll know once I have listened to it more. Is it better than my Zeus XIV R ciem? I ll know once I ve compared. Is it better than my KSE 1500?

Was talking to Chris (designer for 64Audio) and Bogan (CEO of 64Audio), who says they are making a bunch in the next few weeks, and will start shipping ASAP.  I would have thrown down the money but I got a ton of other stuff for review.  Was in my top 5 IEMs there for sure, and I look forward to owning a pair.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #165 of 521
  I was actually really impressed with the Sony Z1R. Interesting thing is both my friend and I who have pretty different tastes in sound signature preference both really liked the Z1R. the booth was pretty dead the 2nd half of yesterday, if it's similar today, I might be there trying to get a better impression. 

My main goal was to listen to as many headphones as I could and I pretty much got to most of them. My preferences are for the more musical smooth sound. I find most "High-End" too bright and analytical. I ended up purchasing a pair of Sony MDR-Z1R after going back to listen to them countless times. Incredibly musical and comfortable. I can't believe they are closed headphones. Perfect for the office. I also thought their lower cost MDR-Z7 was also very good. They sound good coming from my A&K AK70. Better sound at the Sony booth from their Walkman and DAC/Amp but they were even better at the Woo room with their tube amps. I also liked the $4500 Abyss in the Woo room. But we are looking at the law of diminishing rooms when comparing the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back