CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #136 of 521
Sigh. I wish I was impressed... but let's be real here. There was not a single listening station  except the HE-1 that impressed me. I'm 100% certain this isn't a result of the audio gear. It had more to do with the base decibel level of the rooms and the more often that not, inconsiderate person standing behind me yelling at a friend or a rep so they could even be heard. The only rooms even worth trying were the TOTL room, the woo audio room, and the HE-1 room. The main hall was a waste of time. My ears are still ringing from turning volumes up so I could listen.

Main Hall

Crowded, and unacceptably  loud.  Near the end of the day it thinned out. So loud most of the time I couldn't tell you the difference between a Stax-009 and the HiFiMan HE-500. Not worth attending except for the talking with Reps.  Chord Reps were amazing, Mr. Speakers Reps were unpleasent,  Focal Reps were arrogant, Schiit Reps seemed very aloof but were very perceptive and quickly answered the few questions I had.

TOTL Room

Really? Really? Quite room? Really?  Ok let's get this straight.A room facing the main Atrium of convention center isn't going to be quiet. Especially with the door open. Even less so when every curious person who wanders in is having a conversation in the room. The listening stations  placed directly against a walls so as to perfectly reflect every sound directly at you. One  directly in front of the door, and directly against a wall.  The 15 minute session, was more like 2 1/2... after I found any music I knew, and didn't have somebody in the room talking. Most of the music was very obviously just somebody preference. No gold standard audiophile recordings.  Amazing amount of 80's and 90's pop.  I spent time with the Yggy, Blue Hawaii, Electrostatic and the Gumby, MJ2, Ether - couldn't tell you the difference. 

HE-1

About an 8 minute audiogasm. I suspect it could have been better. This really was the highlight of the day. The rep set the room up reasonably well given the extremely poor placement of the room itself - again open to the atrium and directly next the main stairway.  The seat was opposite the open door, a banner dampened the noise reflection in the room the rep was very quick to move any conversation outside the room.  I knew what the tracks in the room would be and had listened to them repeatedly on my Gumby, HDVA 600, HD 800 system. What I heard in that room, even with the base noise level as has high as it was, blew me away.

Woo Audio Room

I was on edge of purchasing a WA8 when I walked in.  Especially given the deals Woo was offering at the show. I walked out without doing so. There were 3 WA8's hooked up in the room, each with a different source. But the everytime I tried to listen somebody was having a loud conversation next to or behind me. The room host, just let 'em be loud. Again, directly facing the Atrium, with the full volume of a Bar, a Restaurant, and the hallway bleeding in to the room.

Seminar Rooms
This really had me wondering What the organizers were thinking. They were quiet. It would have been great if the TOTL, Woo, and HE-1 rooms were back there.  You could have put all 3 in the Seminar room and it'd have been a better experience. This room was in the hallway behind the listening rooms. It was quiet and - well empty - because  NOBODY WENT INTO THE SEMENAIRS BECAUSE NOBODY WENT TO LISTEN TO SOME  RANDOM PERSON TALK. THEY WHEN TO LISTEN TO EQUIPMENT. The sound quality and decible levels were great, and there was not a single piece of audio equipment to be found.

Over All

I won't be wasting my time going to SoCal CanJam 2018. It's pretty clear the organizers put no thought into event. If I was an exhibitor I'd be pissed, because it's a crappy venue to showcase equipment. I'm guessing the exhibitors spent more than $15 to be there and while they got to be in front of a highly targeted demographic, the venue got in the way of the message. That message being the quality of sound. Again, I couldn't tell you difference between a STAX-009 plugged into a Blue Hawaii and an HE-500 plugged into  a HiFiMan amp.  I'm guessing there is a difference, but... having heard them both... I'm still guessing.

Crowd

The attendees were generally pretty cool. I had brief conversation with random people and I really enjoyed that.  There were headphone enthusiast from rank amateur to gold ears. Mostly they were fun to talk to and enjoy. There was  that L.A. rudeness though... people who would just stand at the empty station next to you and talk at high volume. That was hard. But people were mostly considerate and cool. It was neat to see some of the rockstars in the community around. 

Suggestions

I'm pretty disappointed. That's obvious right?  But I hate being critical without offering suggestions.  So here it goes.

A) Break the main room up into multiple rooms. There were just do many people making to much noise 
B) At least pretend to dampen sound or care about acoustics even a tiny bit.
C) Space out the vendors. Or just space things out.... so there are less people per cubic foot. Less people means less ambient sound.
D)  DO NOT PUT THE QUIET ROOMS IN THE LOUDEST SPOT IN THE HOTEL. I can't even imagine how that happend. If I was Woo, Mr. Speakers, or Sienhesser I'd be demanding a refund on that room rate. 
E) If it takes more money to make the above happen raise the ticket price. Look, those of us who went are looking at spending or have spent between $500 and $50K on audio gear, a luxury item. The exhibitors are targeting an audience who are making well above the poverty level, well above the national average income. This is L.A. the minimum wage is $15 an hour. Lunch is $15. I spent more for parking than to get into CanJam. Public Transport was the same price as CanJam.  

In Summary

I walked in hoping to understand the difference between products. I'd hoped to be wow'd by things I've not been willing to spend money on sight unseen. I was specifically looking to hear a product others reviewers have me very interested in and would have spent money at the show to buy. I left secure in the knowledge that I have the best Headphone system in the world, because everything short of the HE-1 sounded  terrible in that environment.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #137 of 521
Mm...different experience during CanJam Singapore. Even during the busy hours, I managed to listen to both headphones and in-ears with little annoyance. The listening rooms on the second level were specially good (less busy). The highlight, of course, was the Sennheiser suite, far removed from the main exhibit floor, where my 15 minutes of HE 1 audition was absolutely perfect. On the last hour of CanJam, I was able to listen to the Fourte with no problem. Sorry that you did not enjoy. In any case, the nature of the event is not meant to be a perfect listening environment. For critical listening, a follow-up visit to a dealer's place is better.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #138 of 521
Thanks to everyone who came by our booth and said hello and listened to our demo. It's always great meeting new people and talking to everyone.

And congratulations to Dirk M. for winning our raffle! He wins a copy of Out Of Your Head and all the speaker presets (An $800 value!)

Just in case you missed our demo, put your headphones on and watch this:

Here's how CanJam SoCal 2017 went on both days on our side of the ballroom:

Hope to see everyone again soon,
-Darin

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #139 of 521
  "What new Pioneer DAP"?

Slight slip on that one: It's actually their new DAP under the name Onkyo which is a collaboration with them and Pioneer (Japanese made with US input). It was a prototype of their soon to be released DAP called Onkyo DP-X1A, which is due out in around 2 months, MSRP about $899. I must have spent nearly half of the meet comparing performance of DAP's and IMO this one knocked them all dead. The FiiO X5 v3 and Opus DAP's sounded artificial and flat soundstage by contrast. The Sony Walkman NW ZX100 came close but fell short of on the overall refinement / realism for me. The Questyle QP1 may have been comparable but didn't get the chance to A/B the two. Overall I was mesmerzied on every good full size can and IEM I paired this upcoming Onkyo DAP with, with everything from dynamics to sub-bass, clarity, realism, soundstage, etc.

Hmm.. Some confusion here?
After reading "new Pioneer DAP", I googled that exact term and found the article below:
http://hifipig.com/pioneer-unveils-new-digital-audio-player/

This article was only written about 2 weeks ago (27th March 2017).
It refers to what looks like a new and relatively 'budget' DAP from Pioneer, the XDP-30R, as opposed to the now not-so-new XDP300R (note the extra zero).

Background on the Onkyo-Pioneer collaboration (my memory's a bit fuzzy so I hope I'm getting this right! Please jump in if you know better lol):
Timeline wise, Onkyo released the DP-X1 a fair while ago now. Pioneer also released a slightly lower-spec DAP around that time, but otherwise very similar.
Onkyo then released an updated and improved DAP called the DP-X1A, late last year I think (this was in Japan only, but many were ordering via third party websites, Amazon.JP, etc).
It corrected some quality issues with the previous DP-X1 (faulty jacks), and added a significantly improved amp section (new bigger and better quality capacitor section).
At the same time, Pioneer released the XDP-300R, which was basically just the DP-X1, repackaged.

Meanwhile, the DP-X1A is shortly going to be available for global release I believe.
However, it seems that Pioneer (according to the article I posted above) are now releasing another new DAP. £349 and dual DACs etc. Looks very interesting!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #140 of 521
Raypin, how did the Fourte sounded ?

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #141 of 521
I concluded that a majority of the attendance was either deaf/To far gone or only listened to dubstep/Rap/Metal. I couldnt hear a thing in the stax/ Woo audio room or the main room. My godsend was hooking up my hifiman hm 802u via proprietary connector to rca into the dacs at the show to avoid going deaf due to the one station 2 headphone setups and actually listening to sacd audio recordings instead of tidal/ Spotify.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #142 of 521
The headphones that stole the show to me were the Mr.Speakers prototype electrostat and the Hifiman Susvara. The only iem that was impressive was the hifiman Re2000. Only thing that came close to the Shure kse 1500.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #144 of 521
The only iem that was impressive was the hifiman Re2000

Yes the RE2000 was surprisingly good, well built too. Did you tried out the RE-800?

I preferred the sound of Susvara more than Shangri-La but I guessed HFM will further tune the sound of both these products in the months to come

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #146 of 521
Apr 10, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #147 of 521
Yes the RE2000 was surprisingly good, well built too. Did you tried out the RE-800?

I preferred the sound of Susvara more than Shangri-La but I guessed HFM will further tune the sound of both these products in the months to come

Shangri La was broken for can jam socal due to tubes. They didn't have the Re-800 i believe. Ill probably wait it out and see.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #149 of 521
Hmm.. Some confusion here?
After reading "new Pioneer DAP", I googled that exact term and found the article below:
http://hifipig.com/pioneer-unveils-new-digital-audio-player/

This article was only written about 2 weeks ago (27th March 2017).
It refers to what looks like a new and relatively 'budget' DAP from Pioneer, the XDP-30R, as opposed to the now not-so-new XDP300R (note the extra zero).

Background on the Onkyo-Pioneer collaboration (my memory's a bit fuzzy so I hope I'm getting this right! Please jump in if you know better lol):
Timeline wise, Onkyo released the DP-X1 a fair while ago now. Pioneer also released a slightly lower-spec DAP around that time, but otherwise very similar.
Onkyo then released an updated and improved DAP called the DP-X1A, late last year I think (this was in Japan only, but many were ordering via third party websites, Amazon.JP, etc).
It corrected some quality issues with the previous DP-X1 (faulty jacks), and added a significantly improved amp section (new bigger and better quality capacitor section).
At the same time, Pioneer released the XDP-300R, which was basically just the DP-X1, repackaged.

Meanwhile, the DP-X1A is shortly going to be available for global release I believe.
However, it seems that Pioneer (according to the article I posted above) are now releasing another new DAP. £349 and dual DACs etc. Looks very interesting!

Actually, now there are two! Did some research, Pioneer has the XDP-30R "Private", while Onkyo has the DP-S1 "Rubato". Both similar budget versions of their respective older brothers, the XDP-300R, and the DP-X1A.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #150 of 521
The Little Labs Monotor really seems to be a hidden gem. Jonathan Little knows his stuff, I chatted with them yesterday and came away impressed with his amp design and signal philosophy. Ask to see the power supply, it's as big as the amp, has some major power caps in it! I'm serious considering buying this amp.

I've had them with me since November last year. 

I now work more with headphones and monotor than my desktop monitor setup. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back